Iwata HP-SB

Bryan71

Double Actioner
Been after another side feed airbrush other than the Eclipse.But really needs to be 0.3.So I looked at the HP-SB Plus
Understand than I can only change the nozzle and nozzle cap to make it 0.3.But I have to keep the 0.2 needle.Will it then become a 0,3 brush just sounds a bit bizarre to me.

Last edited:
I don't think they make a .3 conversion for the HP-SB. The issue will be that there is no air cap available, even if you find a nozzle to fit.

It can be converted to a .3 you would need the Nozzle [I-080-8] and Needle [I-075-3] and the Nozzle Cap [I-140-3] I will test a .3 needle in the HP-SB and see if the needle packing will need to be adjusted as well I will test it tomorrow and make sure it works and let you know.

Thanks for that my retailer said a 0.3 needle won’t fit but you can fit a 0.3 nozzle and nozzle cap but I have to stay with the 0.2 needle.Silly as I may sound if I did this would it spray more than an 0.2 set up as the needle is still fine.
May have to go back to the drawing board and buy an eclipse.

Why is it so crucial that it "really needs to be 0.3"? And what is wrong with the Eclipse?
With a .2 needle and .3 nozzle the needle will protrude out much further than with matched parts.

Wanting a 0.3 set up for general coverage i’m not a big fan of the trigger on the eclipse

Remember that that HP range has a screw in nozzle. It is a pain to clean and are often broken when re-installing.

Never damaged a nozzle yet but I know what you mean might need to speak to Dave about a trigger if I buy an eclipse

It can be converted to a .3 you would need the Nozzle [I-080-8] and Needle [I-075-3] and the Nozzle Cap [I-140-3] I will test a .3 needle in the HP-SB and see if the needle packing will need to be adjusted as well I will test it tomorrow and make sure it works and let you know.

Color me crazy, but the Nozzle Cap [I-140-3] is for the Iwata HP-C. The Iwata HP-C has a body that is larger diameter than the HP-SB, and unless I am completely nuts, I am pretty sure that the threaded base for the nozzle cap is also larger diameter on the HP-C vs. the HP-SB... I ran into my studio to confirm, and the nozzle cap on the C will not fit the SB.

The .3 needle is a 1.4mm wire, while the .2 is 1.2mm. The .3 needle will physically fit through the body on the SB, bu the packing will absolutely need adjusted. Because it is already compressed to fit the smaller wire, you are better off replacing it. It will feel tight otherwise.

Iwata lists the conversion as "not possible" in the parts list, because there is no nozzle cap that will fit the threaded front end of the A,B, or SB that is sized for the .3 nozzle.

What is it about the trigger on the eclipse you do not care for? I can get mine to feel exactly like that on a Micron. I am sure it is less expensive than buying a new brush.

I much prefer the bigger trigger like that on my Custom I tend to find my finger slips off the Eclipse one.Being honest that’s another reason I looked at the High Performance Plus as I can replace the trigger to a Custom one.
Unless you have any Eclipse triggers in stock Dave.

I much prefer the bigger trigger like that on my Custom I tend to find my finger slips off the Eclipse one.Being honest that’s another reason I looked at the High Performance Plus as I can replace the trigger to a Custom one.
Unless you have any Eclipse triggers in stock Dave.

I'll have to check to see if I have any Eclipse triggers ready - the attached push pin of the eclpise trigger can be mounted in the slot of a Micron/Kustom trigger, making it compatible with the Eclipse.

Back to the .3 conversion - picts are worth a thousand words ;)
I grabbed a HP-C, and and HP-SB off the shelf -

DSC_5709.jpg

First thing of note - the C body is larger diameter than the SB, and therefore so is the nozzle cap mounting base -

DSC_5712_01.jpg

You can see that the .3 nozzle cap (left) is larger around than the SB, and you can also see how different the exit hole is, and why it is so important to have one sized correctly to work with your nozzle. The nozzle caps pictured here are the I-040-3 (HP-C, left) and the I-040-2 (HP-A,B,SB, right)

DSC_5714_01.jpg

The needles are different diameter, with the .3 being 1.4mm, the .2 being 1.2mm. The good news here is that they share the same angle taper, so the .2 will work fine in the .3 nozzle.

DSC_5715_01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that Dave it’s looking like the easiest option will be buying an eclipse SB if I can get a different trigger

yep, it works ;)

I just put the trigger together, using an Iwata V2 micron trigger. Pulled the cross pin from the bottom, and replaced it with a push pin from the Eclipse. I finished it off with the adapter I previously made to allow a Micron handle to be used with a spring adjuster, and dropped a soft spring into the air valve - No difference in feel at the trigger vs. a Micron V2. Control, well, that is another story ;). The Eclipse will move MUCH more paint than the Micron.

DSC_5717_01.jpg DSC_5353.jpg

Looks like Dave has you more then covered, but I had forgotten no the HP SB can not be converted ;)

Last edited:
I have the CM SB, the HP SB+ and the HP SBS the HP SB+ has the Dave G set up and the eclipse has a F1 trigger
I use the eclipse for large coverage and nothing else the HP SB+ is my allround airbrush it can do detail work and large coverage just not as fast as the eclipse the CM is my every day go to airbrush but the HP SB+ with the DaveG set up is nearly as good as the CM
if you go for the eclipse ( I know I would ) up grade it with the Dave G goodies and the ergonomic trigger just rocks

Well after having a chat to Dave tonight I am going to order an Eclipse.Instead of the High Performance SB only went with that as I knew I could change the trigger to a custom micron one.But Dave has come to the rescue.

Well after having a chat to Dave tonight I am going to order an Eclipse.Instead of the High Performance SB only went with that as I knew I could change the trigger to a custom micron one.But Dave has come to the rescue.
@DaveG is awesome :)

Back