Iwata hp series and its variants

And they list needles and nozzles, but no nozzle caps. Is it possible the caps are the same for both sizes? Both brushes are listed as .35 “drop in self centering” nozzles but the nozzles pictured are clearly screw in…
they also list the 1.2mm nozzle as fitting the Iwata A and B, which would be .2 - the .3 nozzle will not fit the nozzle cap of a .2... I would not put much weight on anything they have written there, but rather use a best guess. Like many Asian translated instructions ;)

Anyone heard of the Ginza GP-B or GP-C? I saw it on eBay this morning and ordered one there for $17.19 shipped. Afterwards I searched for information and found the Amazon listings along with spare nozzles and needles for $5.99 each. The Amazon seller looks like the same outlet as eBay.

The body and handle has extra grooves machined in them that makes it look more like a Richpen than Iwata to me. The boxes look similar to old HP Iwata boxes. They say they are from Japan, have a date code and the separately sold spare nozzles don't have O-rings, so I thought it might be a Fuso Seiki made brush branded as Ginza. I ordered a GP-B hoping it's the equivalent of an Iwata HP-B+.

for the price, I had to go ahead and grab one of these (Ginza GP-B). It appears to me to be a Chinese knock off. The photo's make it look like "Japan" and a date code are engraved, while the name is laser etched. In real life, it is all laser etched. The build pieces are also different than normal Fuso Seiki (or anything else out of Japan). I have not tried using it, yet.

I also found a couple of older posts making mention of these, and a dubious claim of being made in Japan from several years ago.

yeah, the Ginza GP-B is not anything to write home about. I put a nozzle cap from an true Iwata on it, and got the best results I got out of anything I tried, but I would purchase another of the mystery Sotar look-a-likes before this... the nozzle will fit an Iwata, but interestingly enough, the Iwata nozzle will not for the Ginza, as the threads are the same size on the Ginza, but well under spec for that size. I would have to run a tap in the nozzle post before installing an Iwata nozzle.

for the price, I had to go ahead and grab one of these (Ginza GP-B). It appears to me to be a Chinese knock off. The photo's make it look like "Japan" and a date code are engraved, while the name is laser etched. In real life, it is all laser etched. The build pieces are also different than normal Fuso Seiki (or anything else out of Japan). I have not tried using it, yet.

I also found a couple of older posts making mention of these, and a dubious claim of being made in Japan from several years ago.
That’s good to know. I see now what you mean about Japan being laser etched too.

Here’s another Rich brush, this one a HB-A2:
522DE375-0200-4BBB-A935-E235C8BF5DDC.jpeg
E1143AF1-F905-4F8B-98A7-2F845FC70CEE.jpeg
200D34A8-953F-4475-BD7A-2EE533729340.jpeg
8034FB2B-0006-4959-A4BD-16B0E514CC82.jpeg

Photographs nice. It’s in great condition, just needed some paint cleaned off. It has one minor scuff on it. Nozzle and needle perfect. I bought this because it isn’t a Rich AB-100 but something very similar. Can’t find much about them. Different styling at the front and back. Most similar to an Iwata HP and it’s almost called that too. Rubber seals.

It sprays really really nice, immediately felt like one of my best brushes. Very light and well balanced. Anything which looks bad is just user limitation.
4EE0C1C9-3968-4E50-817D-03D3E92E2304.jpeg
I sprayed HP by mistake!

That looks a LOT like the Holbein Toricon Series H brush(es). They are what Holbein branded after the Y series...

Nice find. Looks like it is a winner, too. Congrats!
Oh yeah, you’ve a good memory Dave! I remember reading Rich made the later Holbeins once they stopped producing their own. When did they first come out, do you know?

Oh yeah, you’ve a good memory Dave! I remember reading Rich made the later Holbeins once they stopped producing their own. When did they first come out, do you know?
I only remembered the bit at the back of the handle - the Holbein(s) are no longer available. I spent some time chasing a couple several years ago that didn't pan out... I am not sure when they started branding them - but, would guess at sometime in the 1990's. I recall seeing the Y series brushes in the mid to late 1980's.

I picked up an IWATA HP-C mid last year used on Ebay. I was actually more interested in the now rare and out of production IWATA double cut out handle circa 98" design. It comes with a needle weight of sorts and just a overall beautiful brush. I also added the IWATA Takumi trigger. Hasn't seen any play time since I've purchased it. I bought another IWATA work station combo for my bench. I already have one for my easel but this one is for airbrush painting at my bench.

IMG_2160.jpg

A couple more vintage pieces that I've purchased over the last year and a half. I had the IWATA HP-BE 1 back in the mid 90's for a short, purchased new with Dixie Art Supply and sent it back as it was overkill for me at the time. But always liked these airbrushes so I decided to re-purchase them to include the HP-BE-2 version which I was able to acquire 1st used of course and last month I was able to get the HP-BE-1 as it was being sold used on Ebay and both significantly below retail.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

So most of you know that I suffer especially bad from the b variant of AAD which I was infected with on here, probably by Dave I think.

I picked up a used Olympos hp-100b and in fact it is pristine. Sprays well. It joins its cousins.
739E4A8C-7588-40F2-BEEA-F3843E8E9D2D.jpeg4CE6D1DE-09E6-44DE-B592-48A8BD14B859.jpeg
And then somehow I accidentally bought a used hp-b plus; the younger sibling of the hp-b. Excellent condition, boxed, paperwork, good price, and I’m ill, you know. The seller took advantage of my weak state. Pretty sure I’m still running a b-fever actually. You might want to check back in on me in a few days.

D957BB11-643F-48B2-A72C-42984439CEFE.jpeg

Back