Iwata hp series and its variants

So most of you know that I suffer especially bad from the b variant of AAD which I was infected with on here, probably by Dave I think.

I picked up a used Olympos hp-100b and in fact it is pristine. Sprays well. It joins its cousins.
View attachment 89672View attachment 89671
And then somehow I accidentally bought a used hp-b plus; the younger sibling of the hp-b. Excellent condition, boxed, paperwork, good price, and I’m ill, you know. The seller took advantage of my weak state. Pretty sure I’m still running a b-fever actually. You might want to check back in on me in a few days.

View attachment 89673
Those are some tiny lines

This thread has me getting all kinds of nostalgic ;). Ever wonder what would happen if an Olympos SP hooked up with an Iwata Micron CM-SB? Of you don't. Why would you? The SP was never really made very popular. In theory, it is the same brush as a Micron, just without a removable head base. Richpen Gemini and Phoenix series brushes are the same design as the Olympos SP series, only with proprietary specs keeping parts from being cross compatible. The Olympos is a physically smaller brush. All the more reason I so wish Richpen (Fuso Seiki) had put more effort into the marketing of their own brushes. This Richpen Gemini 312B is right up there with the Iwata CM-SB in terms of capability. Really smooth action to operate with fantastic atomization. I got this one out to play with, and have fallen in love all over again.

View attachment 87627
Hi @DaveG , I have acquired 2 SP and only knew that they are for details. I tried to look closely to understand SP’s head design but with no luck as it’s not disassembable.

On Olympis website it says somewhere that SP is one level down comparing with MP in terms of fine detailing so I naturally thought that SP and MP have different head design, which is just opposite to your opinion.

Could you please shed more light on why SP and Micro (MP) are theoretically same, except the removable parts? Thx.

Could you please shed more light on why SP and Micro (MP) are theoretically same, except the removable parts? Thx.

Yep. Theoretically they are the same, except the removable parts. The nozzles, nozzle caps, and needles are the same. There is a bit of difference in the MP series because of the way the air is diffused through the holes in the head base... but, I am not sure how much difference this really makes in application. I use an SP-A a lot.

Yep. Theoretically they are the same, except the removable parts. The nozzles, nozzle caps, and needles are the same. There is a bit of difference in the MP series because of the way the air is diffused through the holes in the head base... but, I am not sure how much difference this really makes in application. I use an SP-A a lot.
Thx for sharing your thoughts. I mainly wanted to find out about the head base of SP.

Like you said the Micron (or the most costly version of MP) uses a R3 head base, and IMO that's one of the reasons to why Micron/MP outperforms others.

Tomorrow let me try to use a needle to poke around within SP’ head to tell how many holes it has.

To date, three variants of the nozzle cup are produced which have "micron" characteristics
Iwata C1
PS 771
Phoenix222C/Gemini
They have approximately the same characteristics but still different.
Iwata C1, PS 771 you can use on your SP in combination (nozzle cup, nozzle, needle) and get excellent results. Essentially you get the same performance of the Iwata C1, PS 771 in a smaller SP housing.

Back