Iwata Kustom CM questions

fireartist85

Double Actioner
I was given an Iwata Kustom CM and a Kustom CH years ago by one of my old bosses. He had used them and he never really cleaned his brushes too well, just once they got crappy he would replace them. When I got both brushes, I took them apart to clean the hell out of them, and was planning on rebuilding them, put all the parts into containers and put them away. Well years later, and several moves later, can't find the parts to either brush to save my life. I basically wrote them off as not being worth rebuilding since I would need to get everything for them except the mac valves, air valves, seals and handles. I've since gotten a bunch of other brushes; GSI P771, iwata hp-sb plus, and a couple cheap master brushes for large areas and filling in stuff. The more I keep reading about microns, I am very tempted to get one, but can't help but wonder about rebuilding the Kustom CM that I have. I priced it out through Coast Airbrush, and for all of the iwata parts I would need that would keep it at a .23mm, it would cost me roughly $220 to have a working brush. If I swap the head and needle to the Ps771 .18mm setup, then the rebuild would only cost me about $160. Now the question for those in the know; is there a difference in terms of spraying and detail between the Kustom CM and the newer micron cm+? I personally don't care if the cup is on top or on the side, I like either. I'm most concerned with how it sprays. Is there a difference between the .23 and .18 heads in terms of forgiveness or one being easier then the other to attain fine detail? I noticed my .18 creos tends to be finicky. I wondered if the.23 might flow a bit better while still getting the great detail. And with that being said, would I notice a difference between the iwata, either this one rebuilt or a new micron compared to the GSI P771 that I currently have? Will the micron .23 give a finer line then the Hp-sb plus that has a .2mm head just by design? Just trying to figure out one if this brush is worth rebuilding, or if its worth me getting a new micron, or put the money towards other brushes to slowly start replacing my master brushes with better brushes. Thanks in advance for the help and sorry about the million and one questions. I searched all over the place and can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

"...is there a difference in terms of spraying and detail between the Kustom CM and the newer micron cm+?" - Depends on how old the Kustom is - but, I would guess at no, there is no difference in how they spray. The only physical difference(s) between the Kustom and the CM-C+ are the size of the color cup, and the trigger they use on each brush. The business parts are all the same. When Iwata introduced the V2 Microns, they did change the nozzle, and needle taper - so there could have been at one time a difference with the Kustom. The part numbers remained the same between V1 and V2, so most people never noticed the difference.

Now, in regard the the Creos. There is less than 0.01mm difference between the nozzle on it, and the nozzle on the 0.23 Iwata. needles are the same, and there is a very slight difference in the nozzle caps - which helps one potentially feel a little softer than the other... side by side, for the vast majority of users, any difference they could tell would largely be in their heads ;).

There are actually very, very minor differences between the .18 and .23 Iwata set up's. It is mostly a variance in angles between nozzle, needle (even though they actually use the same needle), and air flow over the nozzle tip - some people will find the .23 a bit more forgiving in use, because of it.

"...is there a difference in terms of spraying and detail between the Kustom CM and the newer micron cm+?" - Depends on how old the Kustom is - but, I would guess at no, there is no difference in how they spray. The only physical difference(s) between the Kustom and the CM-C+ are the size of the color cup, and the trigger they use on each brush. The business parts are all the same. When Iwata introduced the V2 Microns, they did change the nozzle, and needle taper - so there could have been at one time a difference with the Kustom. The part numbers remained the same between V1 and V2, so most people never noticed the difference.

Now, in regard the the Creos. There is less than 0.01mm difference between the nozzle on it, and the nozzle on the 0.23 Iwata. needles are the same, and there is a very slight difference in the nozzle caps - which helps one potentially feel a little softer than the other... side by side, for the vast majority of users, any difference they could tell would largely be in their heads ;).

There are actually very, very minor differences between the .18 and .23 Iwata set up's. It is mostly a variance in angles between nozzle, needle (even though they actually use the same needle), and air flow over the nozzle tip - some people will find the .23 a bit more forgiving in use, because of it.

THE GREAT AIRBRUSH GURU HAS SPOKEN!
:):):)

Thanks for the great information, Dave! :thumbsup:

Great information! This is a huge help! After reading your response, I think I'm going to just rebuild the kustom micron that I have sitting here. I'll get the Creos nozzle set and needle, then the rest of the parts from coast for the Iwata stuff. If its going to spray pretty much the same, then no sense in letting this sit here all apart and buying another micron. Thank you for your help!

Back