Iwata Neo advice needed

P

psd722

I bought the Neo just to give it a try and I hate it! I admit that I am old school with a fleet of Paasche VL airbrushes and the #3 needle and tip in all of them. I don't like the small needle that came in the Neo and I don't even know if it can be changed out. If so what is the comparable size to the #3 Paasche? any advice? I bought a 20.00 airbrush from Harbor freight just for kicks, that works as well as the Neo. Anyone have any advice? Did I read where someone drill out the tip on a Neo? Is that the only alternative?

Doesn't the NEO have a .5mm needle? What type of paint are you using with it? The NEO should easily be able to spray any "airbrush ready" paint.

i loved my neo. never had a problem with it. and it has a 0.35mm needle and nozzle

What issues are you having with it? Does it paint well or you just don't like the way it paints? Perhaps being used to .5 needle setup you might need to thin down your paint and work with less pressure with the Neo being a .35 nozzle.

What issues are you having with it? Does it paint well or you just don't like the way it paints? Perhaps being used to .5 needle setup you might need to thin down your paint and work with less pressure with the Neo being a .35 nozzle.

I did some searching on the web. The #3 needle being referenced is .38, not much of a difference.

The neo comes with a .35 set up. It is an affordable version of the Eclipse cs
The hardest thing when going frmo a bottom feed to a gravity feed is air pressure.
Most bottom feeds need more pressure to pull the paint up and through the airbrush , Where gravity feed require almost no pressure to do the same thing.

The #3 tip and the neo are only .03 difference which in paint terms are the same.
I think what you are calling a small needle it the fact the the gauge of the needle in a paasche is larger than that of the neo but bottom line they are the with in .05 mm of each other..

So other than visually looking small on the shaft diameter what other issue do you have?
Can you not will as fine as line? That is getting use to a different style of aitbrush.
Kind of like when auto painter switched from the old siphon feed spray guns to the HVLP gravity feed ones . You have to get use to the different way it responds.

Also more information . What paint are you using?
What air pressure?
and what reduction are you running it at...

Sound to me like a learning curve of a different style of airbrush. But I say if you were happy with the VL why switch?
I have seen amazing art work done with a VL.

Last edited:
The neo comes with a .35 set up. It is an affordable version of the Eclipse cs
The hardest thing when going frmo a bottom feed to a gravity feed is air pressure.
Most bottom feeds need more pressure to pull the paint up and through the airbrush , Where gravity feed require almost no pressure to do the same thing.

The #3 tip and the neo are only .03 difference which in paint terms are the same.
I think what you are calling a small needle it the fact the the gauge of the needle in a paasche is larger than that of the neo but bottom line they are the with in .05 mm of each other..

So other than visually looking small on the shaft diameter what other issue do you have?
Can you not will as fine as line? That is getting use to a different style of aitbrush.
Kind of like when auto painter switched from the old siphon feed spray guns to the HVLP gravity feed ones . You have to get use to the different way it responds.

Also more information . What paint are you using?
What air pressure?
and what reduction are you running it at...

Sound to me like a learning curve of a different style of airbrush. But I say if you were happy with the VL why switch?
I have seen amazing art work done with a VL.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I use Aquaflow paint right out of the bottle mostly and run about 65-70 psi.
I would run it on up because I mostly paint tee shirts but if I do I have a bit of trouble painting an auto tag.
You must be right about the learning curve if the needle diameters are that close, it just seems like the flow is not there.
I do love the VL's but I am always looking for something better.
Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your input.
I use Aquaflow paint right out of the bottle mostly and run about 65-70 psi.
I would run it on up because I mostly paint tee shirts but if I do I have a bit of trouble painting an auto tag.
You must be right about the learning curve if the needle diameters are that close, it just seems like the flow is not there.
I do love the VL's but I am always looking for something better.
Thanks again

Just run over to Josh's house and take his Sata's..............LOL

Might lower the pressure being gravity feeds do not require as much pressure as bottom feeds.

Just run over to Josh's house and take his Sata's..............LOL

Might lower the pressure being gravity feeds do not require as much pressure as bottom feeds.

Lmao, he has my Sata's now!!! I forgot to mention that I went by the sweet water flea market and met with Phil on Saturday. He is the first person that I have actually met (in person an shook hands with). I brought my Sata's and renegades for him to try out and he chose the Sata's :)
Phil is a good dude and can knock out some t shirts..... Fast! Way faster than I could ever do it :)

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"
Josh

Way to help out a fellow AB'er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lmao, he has my Sata's now!!! I forgot to mention that I went by the sweet water flea market and met with Phil on Saturday. He is the first person that I have actually met (in person an shook hands with). I brought my Sata's and renegades for him to try out and he chose the Sata's :)
Phil is a good dude and can knock out some t shirts..... Fast! Way faster than I could ever do it :)

Yesterday is now history and tomorrow is a mystery. Treat today as a gift, because that's why they call it "THE PRESENT"
Josh

That is really kind of you Josh...

Josh

Thanks for the props, man. But it's just simple stuff. Makes me a little "walkin around money" though. The Satas are nice, really sweet kit you let me borrow, too. The trigger action takes a bit of getting used to but that would be the case with any new or different airbrush. I will say they can throw out some paint! You can let me know when you want them back and I will get them to you. It was good to meet you and your wife and I look forward to the next visit! Get those bidness cards printed man! lol

Back