Iwata or Badger airbrush

P

polskaprince

which is the better company as far as control and build for airbrushes

Between Badger and Iwata, you are probably going to get answers based on brand loyalty. Both companies make great airbrushes.

As for control, I can probably get a bit better control out of my HP-CH than the Krome, but the difference is marginal. The difference in price between the two is about about $100.00. You'd be safe getting either brand. Where are you from, spare parts may be an issue depending on where you live.

What are you looking for, a detail brush or a workhorse?

Couldnt agree more with what was said. I have both, just look at my signature, cant really go wrong. Badget is great, cheap , and reliable. Iwata is all those things but not cheap.

I usually pull a patriot for base coats and metallics, an Eclipse at times depending on paint, and my HP-CH( .2) or my HP-C+, then my krome if I need another .2 detail color at the same time.

Unfortunatley to each their own: Meaning what works for me might not feel right to you. This is what I am comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

which is the better company as far as control and build for airbrushes

Iwata. Better materials, tighter tolerances, and, imo, better designs. Yeah, they cost more, but, you do get what you pay for.

Iwata. Better materials, tighter tolerances, and, imo, better designs. Yeah, they cost more, but, you do get what you pay for.

Yeah personally I am starting to lean that way myself, and I do this as a hobby, I have made some money from it at this point, but definitely not enough to cover everything I have spent to warrant buying Iwata unless they were worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone is loyal to their brand but I will agree with HCP-draggin. I just use what is more easily available here on the tip of darkest Africa.

Personally i like getting familiar with as many brands of airbrushes as i can, so that i wont have my experiences based on 1 or 2 specific brands....i mean....if you go for just Iwata, then it can turn out to be a really expensive thing whenever you want to upgrade your brush. Lets say...you start with a Neo...then you like to go to an Eclipse, before you know it you're lurking and drooling over a Custom micron, and telling your wife or hubby that with this brush you can really get all the detail you want to put in it. Me too have my preferences in the brushes i have now.....but even my cheapest brush owned comes in handy from time to time.
Lately i am able to get my hands on some really high priced brushes for a small amount.....i would say, whenever you get an opportunity to get a good brand brush for like a fraction of the price, Go for it!
Even if you don't like the brush after you got it cheap....you can put it out for sale again for more then you paid for.
Tomorrow i am picking up 2 brushes for 50 Euro ( Paasche V + Paasche turbo ) which are being sold on airbrush online shops together for 400 Euro. So even if i don't like them, it's going to be a win situation anyway.
But as said....you have to consider the availability of spare parts in mind to make your mind up on what you're going to buy!

One thing to consider is customer service..... and badger is some of the best I have seen not only in the world of airbrushes. ... but in any industry. .... ken is a top bloke who stands by his product and should any problems arise for a customer does his best to put it right. .... several people on here can vouch for that.....that being said ...I have 3 badger airbrushes and have had no problems with any. ... tell a lie. ... the needle packing screw on my velocity worked a little loose after about 2 months heavy use and I wad getting paint back by my trigger..... I tightened the screw. ... no more problems

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to consider is customer service..... and badger is some of the best I have seen not only in the world of airbrushes. ... but in any industry. .... ken is a top bloke who stands by his product and should any problems arise for a customer does his best to put it right. .... several people on here can vouch for that.....that being said ...I have 3 badger airbrushes and have had no problems with any. ... tell a lie. ... the needle packing screw on my velocity worked a little loose after about 2 months heavy use and I wad getting paint back by my trigger..... I tightened the screw. ... no more problems

Not attempting to disrespect Badger airbrushes, Ken Schlotfeldt, or Badger users, but why is this argument surfacing all the time? Has there been made any complaints about Iwata service? Or H&S? Or any other quality brand?

Also, how is it that sending in airbrushes for changing parts is seen as an advantage? I've never had any airbrush that I wasn't able to fix myself, except Badgers. Some of my oldest airbrushes are probably more than 30 years old. Never needed to change anything. Others, I have been needed regular maintenance, but I have always been able to do it myself. Even the Olympos Microns. I have a friend that has been using the same Iwata Eclipse since it arrived on the market. He's never changed a single part.

That said, I have nothing against Badger airbrushes. I learned the basics on a Badger 200, which I still consider to be an excellent airbrush, and I enjoy my recently purchased Sotar.

No arguement there. .....I was merely stating fact that badger service is excellent. ... to shed a little light on this though. ... one well respected member on here has had trouble with micron parts in the u.s and another im awareof experienced poor service from a u.k dealer only yesterday. ... this is rare cases however.... but I've never heard of a bad experience with Badger that ken didn't personally put right

Not attempting to disrespect Badger airbrushes, Ken Schlotfeldt, or Badger users, but why is this argument surfacing all the time? Has there been made any complaints about Iwata service? Or H&S? Or any other quality brand?

Like Fez said, any problems with Badger products are made right, and most times by Ken himself. When people post about customer service, its either because they are very happy or angry. There are quite a few posts about Badger on the forum because Ken has gone above and beyond many times. Nothing was ever said about Iwata or H$S having poor customer service, but I'm guessing they have good service, as we don't see any posts about it.

IMO, denstore nailed it. I have no idea what Iwata's customer service is like because I've never had any problems with them. H&S's response when I emailed about the discoloration of the airbrush body was just an explaination that the Infinity was nickle-plated, not chrome, and any amonia-containing cleaners will "eat" the finish. But, it doesn't have any effect on the airbrushes function.

Spare parts availability sucks here in Wisconsin, too. So, I order an extra needle or two, just in case, and have a box of misc parts for any other issues that hopefully never pop up. Badger parts are a dime a dozen, but you also actually have to replace parts that wear out. With Iwata, you really only need to replace a part if you break it somehow.

From an objective standpoint, Iwata airbrushes are made of higher quality materials, and made to more exacting tolerances. You may prefer using a Badger, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but it's disingenuous to claim that Badger airbrushes are of equal quality to Iwata's. I have a Holbien Neo-Hohmi airbrush that I love using, but, objectively, the material quality and fit and finish aren't as good as they are on my Iwata's. Therefore, I can't say that the Neo-Hohmi is a better airbrush, even if I do prefer it for some tasks.

I don't use Iwata or Olympos because of marketing, or because it's what the "pros" use, or for bragging rights, or anything like that. I use them because I've owned a ton of airbrushes by nearly every brand you could think of, and spent a lot of money figuring out what was good and what wasn't. In my typical "anti-establishment" way, I even resisted using Iwata's for a while because they where the popular choice.

Bottom line, though, is that they work, work well, and work consistently. If I come across something that works better, I'll switch. But, for now, they've earned my trust and my money by making high quality, problem-free products that I can trust to work well day in and day out.

Oh god is like the mods and rockers all over again. .. I'll state again that in my original comment I wasnt knocking any company. .... merely stating that badger offers great customer service. .... I'll state again also that I have had a problem with one brush which I managed to sort myself.... no arguments where made. . I wasnt insincerely stating that (sorry had to look up the meaning of disingenuous there from Oxford dictionary add I had no clue what it meant) that it is of better quality..... infact I don't think I mentioned the quality of either brush at all. ... only that badgers service
Is excellent. .. so let's stop this back and forth snoreathon and get on with some painting. ... don't forget to post in
The wip section folks so others can learn from your efforts. ... no matter what brush you use

I just reacted to the fact, that every time someone ask what airbrush they should buy, someone will drag forward Badgers excellent service. I have no doubt that they do have excellent service, but does that mean that Iwata or anyone else has poor service? Who was it that the member had trouble with? The seller of the Micron, or Iwata? What kind of problem? And which is most important, to have great service, or little need of service?

And when someone asks about which airbrush has best build and control, why will service be discussed? Not saying that service is unimportant, but is it what makes an airbrush controllable or it's build good or not?

Hey den. ... Thanks for that mate. .... and I do conceed that service Although important has little to do with the build or control.... often as I try to involve myself and keep an eye over alot of posts i miss the actual meaning. . . I remember the u.s problem was with a cracked head assembly from the factory, with manufacturer saying it was sellers responsibility and vice versa. ... Trustit did get sorted in the end though. ... the UK issue was a supply issue rather than a fault

I just reacted to the fact, that every time someone ask what airbrush they should buy, someone will drag forward Badgers excellent service. I have no doubt that they do have excellent service, but does that mean that Iwata or anyone else has poor service? Who was it that the member had trouble with? The seller of the Micron, or Iwata? What kind of problem? And which is most important, to have great service, or little need of service?

And when someone asks about which airbrush has best build and control, why will service be discussed? Not saying that service is unimportant, but is it what makes an airbrush controllable or it's build good or not?

I don't think it comes down to an Either/or... I think it all lends to making a reasonable choice.. not just in airbrushes, but in any large purchase. Perhaps excellent customer service is not as high on some people's lists of pros and cons, but for me, it is very high. I enjoy Badger airbrushes, as much as any I've used, and will not argue that their fit and finish might not be quite as high as Iwata, but I think its like arguing about the make of your vehicle. The Mercedes and the Chevy will both get you where you need to go, but one of them has heated leather seats for your bum... LOL

In the airbrush world, two companies have shown me, personally, the kind of customer service that has made me their customer for life. Ken at Badger and Bill at E'tac. I still use other brushes, and am actually putting my shopping list together with Coast for a new CM-SB, but that doesn't change how I feel about badger, and I will always recommend them FIRST and FOREMOST to anyone. I still use other paints than E'tac from time to time too, but Bill went out of his way to help me with a few simple questions that he could have pawned off to any old employee... but He didn't, and niether did Ken at Badger. When the presidents of the companies take time out of their hectic schedules to help a simple nobody like me, it goes a long way to earning my business. I've dealt with customer service for Paasche too. It wasn't bad at all... my problem got solved. But Ken takes each and every problem personally. I don't care what product I buy... when I have a problem with it, its nice to know that the owner cares enough to get involved and make it right.

Maybe none of that would make a difference to some, but to me, the customer service after the sale, is just as important as the quality of the airbrush and paints.

I Just bought an Iwata Patriot, yeh man...yeh.:triumphant: Love my Badgwata.

Back