Iwata Revolution CR Issues

J

Jimna

Hi All,

I have been having some problems with my airbrush. A few times I have had issues with airleaks from the nozzle causing splatter. When tightening I have in the past been able to eliminate it but have snapped now two nozzles from tightening just a bit too much. With the newest nozzle I have inspected closer before tightening and found that the nozzle does not go in straight to the airbrush, presumably putting the nozzle at risk when tightening.
I have been in touch to try get this replaced under warranty but they believe (without inspection) it will be either the bodies thread is cross threaded or the airbrush is bent neither of which will be covered. I have inspected both myself and cant see any issues but I fear they will say its one of them so they don't have to pay out.
For the frequency I use it (once or twice a month) I didn't feel like shelling out £86 for a replacement body ( especially when a new one I can get for £106 and its such a small defect).

Anyone else experienced this issue or has any ideas other causes and/or easy fixes?
Anyone have any experience of dealing with Iwata Warranty claims (through airbrushes.com)?

20180106_120838.jpg

Just a quick glance it appears to be cross threaded. If you can remove the needle nozzle and inspect the threads inside the airbrush you will see any damage caused.
A cause for cross threading is likely the nozzle was off centred when it was tightened.
It is likely that from now on it will continue to cross thread whenever you install the needle nozzle.
Just a polite suggestion, but instead of getting another Revolution. Try purchasing an Iwata Eclipse. The Eclipse series has a "self centering" head assembly and this can be avoided when installing the needle nozzle.
Hope this helps... Sorry to hear about your airbrush
Take care

First things first,
It would have been polite of you to firstly introduce yourself, just basic info like what country you call home, what brush/paint you use, what you like to paint / paint on, just so we can welcome you and you feel less of a stranger.

As for your airbrush, i've enlarged the picture so we can see it better.

@Ricky Spanish is spot on, its cross threaded. I'd say the first time you removed/replaced you inadvertantly cross threaded it. when replacing anything on the brush after you've removed it, you should only need to do it up finger tight, with maybe a slight nip up with a nozzle wrench of soft grip pliers if you have a leak (soapy water will soon show where problems lie.)
Given the damage to the threads a replacement is your only option, you've caused the damage so its not covered by warranty.

As Ricky has also suggested spend the extra $$ and get an Eclipse, they're a lot more forgiving for newbies.

As a side note, get a babys toothbrush or interdental brushes to clean your threads.... The visible thread in the picture should be cleaner. You need to remember these are a precision instument and should be cleaned accordingly, the slightest amount of dirt/dried paint will cause problems.

Apologies,

My name is Jim, From the UK, newish to airbrushing and mostly paint miniatures.
Thanks for the replies guys, I cant see any cross thread damage but I don't have a magnifying glass to have a proper look. I think for what I use it for and how badly I clean it I've ordered a cheap ebay one. I use it only for mainly base coating miniatures and have never used it for fine detail anyway and some of the cheap ones have reasonable reviews (whether they're true or not I'll find out) and I wont feel so guilty about breaking them with heavy handedness.

It does seem a waste however not to try to get my air brush "working" again. Any idea what the thread size/type is for the nozzle. I could attempt to re-tap if I get the right size.

Oh yeah, it's cross threaded. It could be repaired, but it requires some skills if you dont have the equipment. If you have an Old nozzle, you have nothing to lose trying the repair. As long as you are careful of your needle.
If you have any doubt whatsoever and would be upset if you further damaged this brush DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS
This will be pretty easy if you've ever tapped threads.
Take the Old nozzle and carefully file the threads flat on two sides.
Put your needle in so that that it is sitting at the proper point it would normally be.
Now take the nozzle off, put the filed nozzle onto the needle so it sits against the nozzle post.
You want the needle to be kind of holding the nozzle centered.
Turn it it back and forth 1/8th turn two or three times then turn it 1/4th turn and repeat.
All the while inspect it each time you make 1/4th turn to see that it still looks to be pointed straight.
When its screwed in halfway unscrew it.
clean it, blow it off and then screw it in the rest of the way checking every half turn that it still looks straight.
If it goes all the way down and sits flush . Take it out, put lip balm on your good nozzles threads and put it on. just finger tight, no tools.
If successful congratulations you just rethreaded your nozzle post with a homemade tap and guide.

If you don't care all that much and don't have the old nozzle then file only the first thread on two sides. use the nozzle you're going to use.
Just tak it out and clean more often as you go. Worst case scenario you break some more stuff. Best you actually fix it.
If you have nothing to file with, walmart, diamond impregnated nail file

Last edited:
Hey Jim and welcome to the forum. Just a reminder to know, I got a revolution CR but it's out of use cause the threads in the air chamber of the airbrush is damaged. I got it sitting so if you want it for spare parts, we can work something out.

Thanks guys. I will mull over before I commit to making an attempt at repairing it.
Thank you for the offer Dimitris. I may come back to you if I can't find another solution. I'm not sure how i could use that body though if the threads are broken on it.

Many thanks to everyone for their advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back