Iwata vs Grex

Hello everyone! So, I bought the Grex and I've had it for a couple of months now. Here's what I like and don't like:

1. The magnetic needle caps. This is a great idea and it's well implemented.
2. It's super easy to clean. I've stripped it down once just to see how it would go, but not since, and it's working great.
3. For a .20 nozzle it can shot a lot of paint. I know there are other factors involved besides nozzle size, but I'm still impressed.

Dislikes:
1. The trigger. Or at least part of it. For one, I wish it was a bit taller, for one thing. It's pretty stiff, but I've come to like that. It's hard to over adjust and spray more than you intend. What I really don't like is the way the air valve works. Every other brush I've ever had (and I've had several) has had a smooth transition from off to on, so you could (theoretically) control the pressure with the trigger. The Grex has an audible click, and it's either off or on. There is no transition. It's not a deal breaker but it's been hard to get used to. Does anyone know if that's normal for a Grex?

Anyway, bottom line is that I like it a lot. I use mostly Com-Art, with some Golden High Flow occasionally, and it works well with both without a lot of fiddling. I finish up with colored pencil. I've attached a photo of a recent painting if anyone is interested.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Man with Cigar Forum.jpg
    Man with Cigar Forum.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 34
Dislikes:
1. The trigger. Or at least part of it. For one, I wish it was a bit taller, for one thing. It's pretty stiff, but I've come to like that. It's hard to over adjust and spray more than you intend. What I really don't like is the way the air valve works. Every other brush I've ever had (and I've had several) has had a smooth transition from off to on, so you could (theoretically) control the pressure with the trigger. The Grex has an audible click, and it's either off or on. There is no transition. It's not a deal breaker but it's been hard to get used to. Does anyone know if that's normal for a Grex?

I'm sure it is normal. Just like Iwatas. I like it that way. I even replaced the springin my Harder and Steenbeck Evolution so that it works the same way. I know @DaveG likes to regulate the air with the trigger as well and has found a way to make Iwata triggers have a more controllable action.

Back