Iwata Water Trap Pistol Grip

W

Wpgubaru

Hey everyone I just got the Iwata inline water trap for my Eclipse HP-CS, I have an issue with it when I tighten it up to my airbrush I noticed the trigger on my airbrush is very soft. Basically when I press down it comes up very slowly not a normal clicking action. I loosened the pistol water trap about half a turn and now the airbrush triggers normal. I do have plumbers tape on and I did fill up my tank and I don't hear any leaks. Is this ok and or normal?

When you look into the threads of the water filter where it joins your airbrush you should have a rubber seal inside it, if you over-tighten the filter it can interfere with your airflow, generally you shouldn't need any plumbers tape, I'm assuming that the air control needle from your airbrush is being hindered with the rubber seal acting like a brake, causing a spongy action for your trigger.

I would check the rubber seal to see if you've flattened or damaged it in any way, I believe you can buy replacement seals for them.

When I put on a trap for the first time, I generally put in on lightly finger tight and then tighten in small increments until I hear and feel no air at the air valve.

I over-tightened the trap om my first airbrush and damaged both the trap and the air valve needle, fortunately it was a cheapie so no big deal, but it was a lesson learned.

Quick tip, you can check for leaks by mixing a little washing up liquid with water and brushing it around points of interest, if there is a leak you'll get bubbles.

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what is happening. I'll try without plumbers tape but what is that still doesn't help? Can I get away from it being loosened a half turn as long as there is no leaks?

That's exactly what is happening. I'll try without plumbers tape but what is that still doesn't help? Can I get away from it being loosened a half turn as long as there is no leaks?

As long as you don't have a leak, there is absolutely no problem, even a very small leak won't stop your brush from working but it can be irritating, lol

There is no harm in using the plumbers tape it you think you need it, the only thing is to be sure the tape doesn't get inside the cavity between the trap and the air valve, depending the maker of your water trap, some of them are very loose fitting, in these case the tape is handy, you'll notice that the top part of your trap is aluminium, the reason for that is so that if you damage threads by over-tightening your trap will break first, hopefully saving you airbrush, at least that is the idea, but I'm so heavy handed, I could break titanium, lol

For me a general rule of airbrush maintenance, is never do anything to it that isn't necessary, I hear of some stripping down completely to clean their airbrush after every use, but this is normally only required when a loss in performance is noticed or if there are or have been problems with clogs and such, cleaning with the proper agents after use should suffice.

Check out Mitch's airbrush maintenance video and you can probably find a schematic for your airbrush online which will help you get to know and get the best out of your equipment.

It's the Iwata water trap pistol grip so it's meant for the airbrush. Yeah, I know how to totally disassemble my airbrush already its easy lol. And yes I made sure the tape didn't go inside where the pin could get stuck on. Thanks for the advise I'll try a few things otherwise leave it as be :)

Back