Iwata woes

D

danair58

Bought a used Iwata Power Jet Lite on Ebay back in December for $200 Canadian. I thought it was a good deal. Apparently used only 6 times. After finally purchasing a HP C+ from David at Coast I was ready to roll about 6 weeks go. I enjoyed the learning curve, the compressor worked great, and I was steadily improving my skills with my latest obsession. Last Saturday while airbrushing the compressor starting burping and sputtering, after awhile it stayed on continuously. This unit does not have a tank and that is bad thing as it will surely overheat without the auto off on feature. After hours of troubleshooting and trying to find any possible hose leaks the unit actually quit running after a few more tests. It was determined by an Iwata tech guy that the problem may be a faulty pressure switch. Very quickly a new power switch is being mailed from Oregon. No questions asked. This is a used machine I do not have a receipt, and could not get one from the seller. I did contact him and he says the unit is over a year old (i guess it sat some) so the compressor is out of warranty. I assume the power switch is complimentary from Iwata, if so, I applaud them for supporting their product. If I get the part and the compressor works as usual I will on cloud 9 and feel awful lucky, if not, I guess I will have to go shopping with a valuable lesson learned, or explore other ways and avenues to fix the problem without the cost of mailing across the continent etc.

Would love to hear of any other problems with Iwata malfunctions and how they were handled.

IMO Iwata is a very under rated company. There service as you found out is exceptional on everything they offer. They realize that alot of there users businesses depend on quick resolution of a problem. I send my brushes to them occasionaly and they come back like or better than new quickly and for a reasonable cost at least to me and I consider myself pretty fair at keeping my brushes tuned.. good luck with the compressor I am sure they got you fixed up

Great to hear stories of good customer service. I have a Power Jet and love it!

Yesterday I picked up my brand new Eclipse CS. I asked the local distributor if it was normal for the chrome to be removed from the inside bottom of the cup. He could not give an answer and asked to bring it in when the big cheeses from Japan was visiting. They immediately told him to replace it and took the faulty one back with them for inspection.

Received in the mail "free of charge" from Iwata Oregon USA to Toronot ON. a new pressure switch for my Iwater Power Jet lite compressor. Installed it, and happy to say compressor is working great. Yeah a good customer relations story for sure. They sent the part, even though I bought the unit on EBay used and did not have a receipt. Says a lot about the company, thought I would share.

Fantastic resolution to your problem. You might also take a look around and see if you can't find yourself a small reservoir tank.

IMO Iwata is a very under rated company. There service as you found out is exceptional on everything they offer. They realize that alot of there users businesses depend on quick resolution of a problem. I send my brushes to them occasionaly and they come back like or better than new quickly and for a reasonable cost at least to me and I consider myself pretty fair at keeping my brushes tuned.. good luck with the compressor I am sure they got you fixed up

Underrated? Its one of the biggest companies, also they make what is considered te best detail brush by a lot of people. A lot of airbrushers own an iwata, its got higher prices than most other companies and are now and a bit overpriced, but its hard to beat their perfectness.

Believe me, it is not underrated.

Underrated? Its one of the biggest companies, also they make what is considered te best detail brush by a lot of people. A lot of airbrushers own an iwata, its got higher prices than most other companies and are now and a bit overpriced, but its hard to beat their perfectness.

maybe I did not make myself clear.. I own 2 microns 2 eclipse one is bottle feed and the only bottle feed I own and 2 ch's 1 stock and the other set up as a.2 I am a firm believer in Iwata I do not own anything else at this time I just have been hearing how the latest and greatest must have airbrush is something else And that is NOT my opinion I just wanted to let folks know that they take care of business

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe I did not make myself clear.. I own 2 microns 2 eclipse one is bottle feed and the only bottle feed I own and 2 ch's 1 stock and the other set up as a.2 I am a firm believer in Iwata I do not own anything else at this time I just have been hearing how the latest and greatest must have airbrush is something else And that is NOT my opinion I just wanted to let folks know that they take care of business

+1
About sums it for me as well.

I believe that k.o. Was referring to the fact that their service is underrated, not the company as a whole.
I had a bad experience but that in no way means they are a bad company. I still love my iwatas they are awesome brushes and everyone knows it!

Danair58. I'm glad they took care of you on that! It's nice to see them stand up for their product like that, even if it came to you second hand! My problem with them was disappointing, but at the same time I let my views, and temper go to fast and to loud, but I did understand somewhat of their side if it. My stubbornness worked out because I love my Krome as well and I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for that, but I won't stop using my iwata, ever. They are extremely nice to work with for sure.
I agree with the compressor too, just a small tank will help a ton. I didn't have an iwata, but a similar model and it burnt up. They replaced it for free, but I had an old 2 gallon compressor tank that I hooked it up to and that changed everything. That compressor never even heated up after that.

Josh

Last edited:
Back