For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

John Wayne

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by RichardH, Sep 14, 2020.

1. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Thought I'd share a try of John Wayne. Not finished yet with it but wanted to show how it is going with my attempt at portraits. My goal is to do as many as I can of the people I enjoy watching on TV.
    John Wayne is one of them.
    I am using and learning to use Ink mixtures along with white on a grey paper. So far I am pleased with it but can't seem to stop trying to fine tune the shades of black.
    I am using a Badger Krome with the ultra fine setup on 5 x 7" piece of colorline pebble grey.

Any suggestions are welcome with what I've done so far with it.

Thanks

Richard

DSC_0004 airbrush.jpg
    Rebecca, LadyCharlie, SiRoxx and 3 others like this.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Very Likeable!

I've never worked on grey paper. I think I would find it hard to get all the different grey tones, and contrast I wanted over a grey base.

A challenge I may have to attempt... One day.
    LadyCharlie, SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  3. RichardH

I also hadn't tried grey paper before. That is where the white comes into the picture. I airbrushed the face, hat and scarf with the white. Then while layering the very thinned ink mixture I kept using an eraser to keep the white's white.
    Not really sure if this is the way I want to continue but I am following Timothy John-Luke Smith's youtube video of how he uses black ink. He is on at my time of 9:00 on Wednesday nights showing how he does this with his portraits of women. He is exceptionally good at this. I'm not sure what would be your time to see him.
    Check him out if you want too.
    Good to hear from you also. Been a while for me.

Thanks
    Richard
    LadyCharlie, SiRoxx, HellBird and 2 others like this.
  4. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Very Likeable!

Thanks Richard. I will see if I can find him.

Good to chat to you too :love: x
    jord001 likes this.
  5. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Great painting Richard, try to not fine tune it because if you go too dark, you can't get it back. Try to stick to mainly the light mixture for as much as you can. You can get quite dark with just the light mix. For darker parts use the medium but very sparingly, however I think you could still get most shades with the light mix. then for the darkest parts you could use the dark if the med doesnt go dark enough. See how far you can go with the light before you use the medium.

If you check out my Cameron Diaz pic it was done with one shade of super watered down 25:1 wicked jet black. It was like dirty water so could probably be compared to the light mix. It took multiple passes but does eventually go dark, a bit like painting with candies.

I may be wrong but this is my interpretation.

I think using the inks is a different ballgame to normal paints especially because you only have the 3 tones, light medium and dark. From what Tim does in his videos it looks like he uses the light for most of the painting with some medium mixture, only using the dark mix for the slightest little parts. I think the grey card is so he can use the white for the brightest parts and the grey paper helps with the ink tones, as it would take so much ink on a white background and may not darken up as much.

I got my inks a few weeks ago and are still in the box as i've STILL got to make some room in my paint area but things keep getting made priority and i've not had the enthusiasm to get things sorted. I must try harder. Just have no motivation.

@Squishy best for us is to watch the next day.

Tim is on at about 02:30 am here in England so I have only managed to catch the live stream once. I usually watch it on Thursday evening when I get home from work.

Lee
    Squishy and SiRoxx like this.
  6. RichardH

Thanks Lee for the info. I've been curious about why he doesn't just use white paper instead of the grey. With his experience, I'm sure he knows the reason why. Just confused here about why.
    I normally airbrush on a 5 x 7" size and have started on a new one of a singer I have admired over the years. It will be 8 1/2 x 11".
    I ordered a new Badger arrow to try and it will be here this week.
    I enjoy using the Krome's I have. With one of them, I can get a very thin line using the ultra fine setup. For some reason I can't get this fine of line with the 3 H+S Infinity's I have. I also like the weight of the Krome's. I have had the Krome's for years but just never used them much until recently.
    Not that I need so much a thin line but when needed, it comes in handy.
    I usually watch Tim's videos the next day. I'm old and bed time is early.
    With each one so far, I can get to a point of what else I need to do to finish one, so I stop before I actually complete them. Been also watching Steve Leahy on Facebook. He does cars and planes that are so small, it is amazing how much control he has with his hands and eyes. Especially one where he paints on a single edge razor blade. No way could I imagine doing that small with my old fingers and eyes.

Thanks for replying.

Richard
    SiRoxx and jord001 like this.
  7. jord001

Yeh I love the way he paints and his razor blades are super. I would love to do a class with him if he did any..
    I watch Steve every week doing his live feed plus he is on a little earlier for me, 11:00 pm so I usually have no problem staying up till 12:30 am to watch his live feed. I am usually a bit of a night owl even though I have to go to work in the mornings.

In the old days (got to be 20 years ago now) we all used to hang out on Mike learn's forum "Learn Airbrush" this is where I first met Steve and a few other super artists. I don't know if you know, but we challenged him one day to paint a skull on a grain of rice.. Yeh he did it.. I said he had missed out the jaw so next thing you know it had a jaw painted on it. He is a very humble super artist.

Lee
    RichardH likes this.
  8. jord001

I'm only guessing why Tim uses grey paper. I don't know for sure..

Lee
    RichardH likes this.
  9. jord001

His next segment of the Selma Hayek painting is up.

Squish, this is the link.

Lee
    doc1 likes this.
  10. RichardH

I have come to the conclusion that if you use the blacks on grey paper, it would be very hard to erase . Now I've come to be thinking that when he is using grey paper, he uses the white as a base to soak into the paper and kinda like a sealer. Then it is very easy to erase highlights back into the black ink cause it isn't soaking into the paper but on top of the white. Been doing a little testing and have come to that conclusion. Might be wrong in my thinking but it works so far. Better than trying to erase black from the plain grey paper.
    jord001 likes this.
  11. jord001

That explains why he is extremely light with the inks when he's painting on the bare paper.