Just bought a California compressor

No Herb's silent-air is $700. This ones only $222, hope it doesn't run hot or its going back!

actually thinking of a good quiet compressor and that looks like it could be the one. but it needs to be quiet a year later of heavy use not just one month later also its hot in florida no good if it runs hot my aspire 910 can cook an egg after a few minuets if it doesnt have a fan on it

Ferret, a DIY solution is good. The Cal air if it gets warm, just run a fan,a dual piston is going to run a lot cooler than a single like the aspire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just hope its as quiet as it shows in the videos, will find out wed.

Quiet is relative, the ones they compared it with are loud as hell.
I checked my Iwata Power Jet tonight, it is rated at 56db if I recall properly. I ran a db meter on my phone(don't know how accurate it is), my Power Jet was between 75-80db. I'd still consider it a pretty quiet compressor even if that is true. If the Cali Air is really at 60, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it.

Edit: and I'll probably buy one.....

Last edited:
The 8 gal harbor freight model I have now has been awesome the last 4 years but its so dang loud I can't take it anymore. I could use my spare 33 gal but if I ever need to go mobile I'll need the Californian.

Good point, I can't afford a new phone right now, I'm saving up for another airbrush accessory I don't need lol!

lmao thats funny jeff when my aspire was new you could not hear it from thr next room its not realy that loud its just it could be heard upstairs if it was realy as quiet as it was when new i could paint but oh well after tuesday i am free to go south i wont worry about super quiet thain , as far as im concearned if i had a real large but loud compressor i would just go to an industrial machine junk yard and get a couple of large tanks fill em and air brush for a long time how long would i micron at ten psi run on one fill of two 50 gal tanks
at the boat yard i worked at the compressor was huge a micron would have been able to runn all night on one fill

Those pumps are not as quiet as fridge motors but they are still quiet enough to have a conversation or disturb anybody else. My compressor has the same motor and it runs while the missus sleeps int he room next door with the doors open. If it will stand close to you, you will just need to get use to air release valve kicking in when pressure is reached.

I bought the 1.6 gallon Cal air after I killed my little "airbrush specific" compressor. I can tell you it is quiet. I had to use a little Walmart pancake compressor until the Cal air showed up and sheeesshhh... I had that pancake in another room, in a closet, with both doors closed and it was still about as loud as the Cal air sitting in the same room with me. I have since added 10 feet of hose to my setup and have the Cal air in the closet of the room I work in and I can still hear the air coming out of the brush when the compressor is running. I more feel it running than I do hear it, especially if I have the tunes on...

Nice to know Rob, can't wait. Mine always goes off when someone calls me on my cell and I have to hurry and run out of my garage to even hear them lol!!

You better not post no pics Herb, I'm BROKE LOL!!! Hey Michele I have an old compressor I could sell you haha!

Do you really have one for sale? My Paashe D500 just isn't quite what I need. Yes... I fell into that newbie trap of getting a "starter" comp because the seller had it bundled with a kit.

Yeah I was kinda kidding with Michele, I'm going to hang on to my old just in case I need a backup. I bought the Central Pneumatic compressor from Harbor Freight for $100. Make sure you use one of their 20% off coupons!!

Looky what came in the mail today!! Even bought a bright green hose to match my logo color lol!! Hopefully get back out here in a bit and test it out.

Attachments

• 20140115_164949_resized.jpg
    20140115_164949_resized.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 24
Looky what came in the mail today!! Even bought a bright green hose to match my logo color lol!! Hopefully get back out here in a bit and test it out.

Now where is that damn video so Jeff can finally hit the buy now button:D

Congrats let us know your thoughts.

I sure will buddy! Bought a few quick connects, and connections just in case. Also bought a nice little inline regulator I'll install by my manifold so I can adjust on the fly.

Took jeff's advice and got a decibel meter app, old compressor at 5' away or 20' away is 84 db, so if the cali is 60 db I've already won lol!

Back