just bought metal panels... now what?

B

buttflyzzz

I wanted to give metal a try and home depot had aluminum sheets on sale. I bought 800 wet dry sand paper and black primer. So, is there anything I should know before I start?

Hey buddy - the aluminium panels - do they have any paint on them already? if so just rub it back with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper (wet).

if not the correct procedure is:
scuff your surface - i used to use 80 grit dry on a machine - it prepped the metal nicely - not too sure what you'd hand sand it with perhaps 240 - 320 dry?
clean it off nicely with wax and grease remover and quickly apply your etch primer/ aluminium primer. then immediately apply your high fill primer (approx 4 coats). wait to dry approx 8 hours.
apply guide coat
rub back flat first with 400 wet and dry sand paper
apply guide coat
then rub back with with 1200 wet and dry
wax and grease remover
start airbrushing!!!
let's pray your panels already have paint on them:)

Hi Robert, imo why don't you stick to paper till you can get good results with the airbrush, all this prep work before you screw things up is a waste of time and better be spend on gaining airbrush control.

Maybe you're good enough but i can't recall seeing anything from you yet.

But if you are eager to give it a go, sand it, wash it, use adhesion promotor (to be sure ) and then use a appropriate primer sand it when dry and then do you airbrushing.

You can also grind or sand motifs in the alluminium, and then spray candy's on them, looks also very nice.

Hi Robert, imo why don't you stick to paper till you can get good results with the airbrush, all this prep work before you screw things up is a waste of time and better be spend on gaining airbrush control.

Maybe you're good enough but i can't recall seeing anything from you yet.

But if you are eager to give it a go, sand it, wash it, use adhesion promotor (to be sure ) and then use a appropriate primer sand it when dry and then do you airbrushing.

You can also grind or sand motifs in the alluminium, and then spray candy's on them, looks also very nice.

Justme, I agree with you but all I am trying to do is see if my flames will "pop" more with the trans colors. I still plan on working on paper but I cannot get my fire to have depth. I am by no means looking to produce professional pictures as I am not there but I do not know if the lack of depth is from paper or poor technique. I was hoping if the metal picture sucks, I can re-prime and re-do. Maybe I am way off base IDK.

I think you're right about that flames don't pop on paper, i did some flame practice aswell on cheap black hobby lobby paper and the colors are not so nice as you do them on metal.

If you're into flames i recommend to watch the vid from Patrick Guyton, i bought that one recently via e bay and it is really worth it's money, and there's not so much advertising in as in Lavalee's so that's also a big plus.

I think you're right about that flames don't pop on paper, i did some flame practice aswell on cheap black hobby lobby paper and the colors are not so nice as you do them on metal.

If you're into flames i recommend to watch the vid from Patrick Guyton, i bought that one recently via e bay and it is really worth it's money, and there's not so much advertising in as in Lavalee's so that's also a big plus.

That is exactly what I am using. Cheap black paper. I just did a flaming skull and it already looks 100% better. I do not post very many as I am still new and feel embarrassed around such talent. I know this is foolish as we all started somewhere but
I am a perfectionist by nature. I will definitely look up Mr. Guyton. Cheers.

If it's just a plain sheet of ally, then you could do the old grinder trick, grind some swirls or patterns on the surface, clean and degrease and go for it. If it doesn't come out as you like, you can clean or grind it off and try again.

Hey buddy - the aluminium panels - do they have any paint on them already? if so just rub it back with 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper (wet).

if not the correct procedure is:
scuff your surface - i used to use 80 grit dry on a machine - it prepped the metal nicely - not too sure what you'd hand sand it with perhaps 240 - 320 dry?
clean it off nicely with wax and grease remover and quickly apply your etch primer/ aluminium primer. then immediately apply your high fill primer (approx 4 coats). wait to dry approx 8 hours.
apply guide coat
rub back flat first with 400 wet and dry sand paper
apply guide coat
then rub back with with 1200 wet and dry
wax and grease remover
start airbrushing!!!
let's pray your panels already have paint on them:)

They did have some kind of primer sort of stuff. I just scuffed, primed and giving it a go. Again, these are just practice so I am not to worried about adhesion yet. So far, I am seeing better looking results either taking my time more or more true color showing through, not sure which. Cheers.

If you want to go the easy route, look for a sign supply shop in your area and buy some aluminum sign blanks. They come powder coated, usually in white, but some shops will let you special order other colors. All you have to do is scuff them down, clean with wax and grease remover and then paint your design. I have a local supplier here in New York that sells a white 12"x18" sign blank for about $5 each. I use them for practice all the time. You can also buy them from Coast Airbrush, but they charge a little more and you have to pay for shipping.

hello buttfly dont feel embarrassed at all lots of us are still new to ab i post my pic and iam doing is just doing dots and lines so what i do is post my pic so i can get help if a need it just go slow dont rush in to it

You might want to have a look at these clips in which the guy (an experienced pro) covers many problems you may encounter, plus he gives sound information on materials to use and how to use them:

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 1:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 1 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 2:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 2 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 3:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 3 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 4:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 4 - YouTube

Perhaps too much info for the job ahead of you, but you may encounter situations similar to those shown in the clips in future.

You might want to have a look at these clips in which the guy (an experienced pro) covers many problems you may encounter, plus he gives sound information on materials to use and how to use them:

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 1:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 1 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 2:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 2 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 3:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 3 - YouTube

How to prep your motorcycle fender for painting part 4:
How To Prep Your Motorcycle Fender For Painting-Part 4 - YouTube

Perhaps too much info for the job ahead of you, but you may encounter situations similar to those shown in the clips in future.

Nice find. Thanks man.

If you want to go the easy route, look for a sign supply shop in your area and buy some aluminum sign blanks. They come powder coated, usually in white, but some shops will let you special order other colors. All you have to do is scuff them down, clean with wax and grease remover and then paint your design. I have a local supplier here in New York that sells a white 12"x18" sign blank for about $5 each. I use them for practice all the time. You can also buy them from Coast Airbrush, but they charge a little more and you have to pay for shipping.

I think I paid 7 each.. same size. I would have spent more driving out to the island. I was already paying 11$ for bristol paper at Hobby Lobby. For $3 I can buy a can of primer and spray and go.

hello buttfly dont feel embarrassed at all lots of us are still new to ab i post my pic and iam doing is just doing dots and lines so what i do is post my pic so i can get help if a need it just go slow dont rush in to it
I know it's dumb but I even feel weird about showing my wife. I know for the most part what I did wrong so I just bury it like a cat does in their box and start again. I will post more when I can finish a picture without splatter and spills on it.

Robert
Main thing I learned on painting metal is that if your use to reducing for canvas ,board stock or even paper drop the hell out of your air pressure other wise you get skating....

I think I paid 7 each.. same size. I would have spent more driving out to the island. I was already paying 11$ for bristol paper at Hobby Lobby. For $3 I can buy a can of primer and spray and go.
Call S&F Supply in Brooklyn and ask how much they would charge to ship them to you. If you buy a decent quantity, it may not be too expensive. Definitely not worth making the drive.

Robert
Main thing I learned on painting metal is that if your use to reducing for canvas ,board stock or even paper drop the hell out of your air pressure other wise you get skating....

Nice! Thanks Micron.

Back