Just bought TC 20T. Can't figure out some things

A

AndreyT

Hello

I just bought a TC-20T compressor from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001738DXU). I don't have much experience with air compressors, so I'd appreciate if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

Firstly, the unit I received looks slightly differently from what Amazon page (and TCP Global page) depicts. The amazon page shows the output nipple implemented as an elbow fitting exiting the top of the tank

51upaiUBFsL.jpg

In my case what appears to be the output nipple exits through the side of the tank

IMG_20151014_230601.jpg

I presume this is just some variability between different implementations.

But there's another thing that does not seems to make any sense to me. What I presume is an "output nipple" actually appears to be a solid plug (see the picture)

IMG_20151014_230620.jpg

There's no "hole" in this "nipple". There's no air passage. This seems to be a plug, not a nipple. But for some reason this plug has an external thread (???)

Would someone please explain to me, how is this supposed to work? What would be the point of attaching the moisture trap (supplied in the box) to this "output nipple", when the "nipple" does not actually allow the air to pass through? Am I missing something simple?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have ur compressor but all of them work the same.
That release valve red thing is for when you stop airbrushing and you turn off the compressor, and you want to blow out the rest of the air so you pull it.
The plug on the bottom of the tank is for draining any built up liquid or residue that will form inside of the tank, you need to tip the compressor so that you can drain it. Drain your tank completely by removing the plug after every other use, and when your compressor has been sitting in a hot humid place for a long period of time. Someone who has better knowledge of compressors can correct me on what I said, but im 95% sure that is what both are used for and how to use them, as its kinda sad that most compressors never tell you the correct way to maintain them... :/

That plug is just a plug, im pretty sure it is not intended for attaching any other large tank to it.

Well, thanks, but I know perfectly well what the other valves are for. That's not what my question is about. My question is, again:

Where do I attach the moisture trap and the actual airbrush hose?

Formally, this "nipple" I posted above is not "just a plug". This is where the moisture trap (and the airbrush hose) is supposed to attach. But for some reason they sent me a unit with a solid metal plug in its place. It is not a nipple, it is a plug.

Here's a YouTube video for exactly the same unit (220V version).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At around 7:00 mark you can see the same "nipple", but in the video the nipple has an easily visible passage that leads into the tank. That's how it should be. In my case there's no passage. I believe that TCP Global sent me an "open box" unit, which was tampered with by someone already. Someone replaced the nipple with a plug. Or, even more likely, this "nipple" is simply defective: it came from the manufacturer not fully drilled through. Whoever installed it into the tank simply failed to notice that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think I see what your saying now. That plug that is in your top half of the tank is probably just a shipping plug you must take out. Then you can use the close nipple that comes in the box and wrap teflon around it or pipe sealant and screw it into your tank, the moisture trap should then screw into the close nipple. That is how I see it, and hopefully your box came with the close nipple, if not you could probably buy it at a hardware store.

Hey Andy - welcome. Can you do us a favor, pop along to the introductions page and say Hi properly? It makes it a whole lot easier to assist you when we know some other details as well. Check out the Nettiquette section as well.

Ok I think I see what your saying now. That plug that is in your top half of the tank is probably just a shipping plug you must take out. Then you can use the close nipple that comes in the box and wrap teflon around it or pipe sealant and screw it into your tank, the moisture trap should then screw into the close nipple. That is how I see it, and hopefully your box came with the close nipple, if not you could probably buy it at a hardware store.

There's no other nipple in the box, unfortunately. The box also contains a moisture trap, an airbrush hose and a "user guide". That's all.

I think it's just a plug to keep the tank clean. Does the regulator have one on or is it female? Just get a new 1/4" one from the hardware store.

Im not sure what size that nipple will be, im guessing its a regular metal/galvanized close nipple. Probably 3/8 inch or 1/4inch. Probably worth acouple bucks at a hardware store, any type of metal will be good as its just pneumatic air. It does sound like they forgot the close nipple, you can contact that merchant on amazon and email them, in the amazon website that they forgot the close nipple and you need one shipped to you. If you want to start painting faster then go to the hardware store and buy the close nipple and install it yourself as its relatively easy to do.

I think it's just a plug to keep the tank clean. Does the regulator have one on or is it female? Just get a new 1/4" one from the hardware store.

Yes, the regulator/moisture trap is a female.

Myself, I would be getting in touch with the seller, but, the easiest way to fix it would be to take out the plug, take it and your regulator/moisture trap to your local fitting supplier, and explain what you need to do. It shouldn't cost but a couple of dollars.

i "HAD" the same compressor....after about a year the only pieces i use are the switch and tank...i bought a Bunn ba400a from a guy for $30 and re-invented the wheel ( lol ) to have it shut off with a holding tank....the one like you have took forever to build pressure ... hence the modified Bunn

Hello

I just bought a TC-20T compressor from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001738DXU). I don't have much experience with air compressors, so I'd appreciate if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

Firstly, the unit I received looks slightly differently from what Amazon page (and TCP Global page) depicts. The amazon page shows the output nipple implemented as an elbow fitting exiting the top of the tank

51upaiUBFsL.jpg

In my case what appears to be the output nipple exits through the side of the tank

IMG_20151014_230601.jpg

I presume this is just some variability between different implementations.

But there's another thing that does not seems to make any sense to me. What I presume is an "output nipple" actually appears to be a solid plug (see the picture)

IMG_20151014_230620.jpg

There's no "hole" in this "nipple". There's no air passage. This seems to be a plug, not a nipple. But for some reason this plug has an external thread (???)

Would someone please explain to me, how is this supposed to work? What would be the point of attaching the moisture trap (supplied in the box) to this "output nipple", when the "nipple" does not actually allow the air to pass through? Am I missing something simple?

Thank you.

The nipple which is facing us on the tank, take it off and check that there isn't a loose plate sitting in it, if it is actually sealed closed, you can either but an open version of the same nipple/coupling or you can simply drill or have it drilled open, it is just brass so easy enough to drill, once you've done that you simply connect your regulator/moisture trap to it, I pretty sure it is sealed shut just keep the tank clean during transit, your moisture trap was delivered loose from it also to protect during transit.

If you could show us a picture of the entire contents of the box when it when it arrived I can tell you more, I have a feeling that there may be another coupling in the box intended to replace the transit one, or the correct coupling may already be on the trap so a picture of that would also help, basically your compressor should have been delivered with all the parts you need to make it work, I have the same compressor and it looks different too, but how it looks is less important than whether or not it has all the components which yours' does.

Back