Just got my first compressor and need HELP!

L

lrolo

Hi there. My name is Lena and since I know myself (or the airbrush :p) I always wanted to try airbrushing. I never got the time or space to do it but today a friend gave me a compressor! Better late than never :p Since I've started this in such a sudden way I'll need a lot of help starting with the compressor :D I think the compressor is ok (ABAC portable mod. Vento OL231 2007) as it pumps air but it doesn't have the hose or moisture trap. Besides the airbrush what will I need to start painting? Any tips on what to buy at an affordable (beginners) cost will be very welcome :D
Any help will be apreciated as I'm really in the mood to start :D
THANKS!!
L

Hi, Lena. Sorry I can't help you with your question I am still new to the game too. I just wanted to welcome you.

Ok, help has arrived!!
First thing off of the compressor you a regulator and water trap, then a hose then a water trap at the airbrush. Really that's it for a small set up.

I run a regulator and trap off of the compressor, then a coil hose, then a regular hose to a regulator for setting pressure rite before the hose to my brush. I go overboard cause I don't like taking chances.
Hope this helps!

Josh

Not familiar with that model, but if it has a tank, make sure it has a safety cut of valve to avoid any unwanted maiming, or slight death etc.

I had a used $25 compressor that ran constantly before I bought my GMC Cyclone ($250)
I run a coily hose ($20 Canadian tire store), to a water separator/regulator that I got at a paint & body supply store for $27-its over kill but that's exactly what I wanted. I bought some fittings and a bunch of quick release couplers $50 so I can take it apart to move it once I start making money with it.
The coily hose is 20 feet long and its important to have this between the tank and water trap, it lets the air cool and condense so the water separator can do its thing. Then the airbrush hose plugs in to that.
The regulator on the water trap is really convenient to change air pressure and its mounted beside my easel ($250 gift). The GMC compressor runs for 25 seconds every 3-5 min so I no longer have any water issues, it was different with my small compressor that ran hot all the time.
Just build up what you can when you can and don't waste your money on needless things. A cheap compressor is Loud so if you can get away with it get one of those. Most importantly is a quality Airbrush. Badger has a "garage sale" page on their site where they sell imperfect airbrushes for less than half price and they are new, its worth it to spend $35-50 for a $120 airbrush just because the lettering on the side isn't perfect. I hope this helps.
MTM.

Hi there. Thank you all for your worm welcoming :D
So let’s se if I got it:
Compressor (mine already as a regulator), than a coiled hose (3metres is enough?), than 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] regulator with water trap, than airbrush hose (better coiled or straight?), finally the aibtush with a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] water trap attached :)
The compressor has a tank with a valve tagged “drain tank daily” so should I press the valve? Squishy is this the valve you mention? I didn’t touched it yet as I’m afraid the tank will explode or something :):):) Buy the way how can I know if my compressor is oil free?
The longest the airline is the better? Seamonkey you have 3x hose??? Gosh! MegaTitaniumMan 20feet is a lot of hose :)
Regarding the airbrushes, MegaTitaniumMan unfortunately Badger currently only ship to the US /Canada :-( but anyway I prefer to start with the cheapest one I can find (prob. 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand :). What kind do you recommend for beginners? Dual action gravity, suction?
Thanks!!!

sorry i omly have 2 hoses, a coil hose off of the compressor, then a straight hose to my brush. the longer hoses are really to get you away from the noisy compressor as much as possible ;) that drain plug is so you can emty the water from the compressor tank. the pump in the compressor makes hot air and as it cool it condensates and pools up the water in there. if you dont empty it water will eventually come up through the hoses and into the brush. thats why you want all the trap, to prevent ruining your painting.
as far as a brush i would recamend the iwata neo, its cheap ad reliable. they have both gravity and siphon feed, that choice will all be up to you. majority of people like gravity. you can use less paint.

Thanks!
Shopping time now :p:p Fingers crossed this will work and I can start asking questions about techniques :D

no decibel rating though.

Can see why :listening_headphone 95db is a lot... hope the neighbours wont complain :redface-new:
Thanks! Still waitinf for the household basic kit to arrive but haven't bought the airbrush kit yet :pirate:

to me the compressor is the most important part. what kind is it does it have a moisture trap if not yuo can either get oni built into the hose or get one at most home improvment stores. just like sea monkey said try a coil hose before the airbrush hose water is a killer dont want moisture making its way up to and out of your air brush .a pressure regulator is also v important

Better if you used A air dryer in stead of a moisture trap.
The reason why is air dryers dry the air no more moisture discharg the walls of your airhoes and no more humidity in the air itself.

Hi and welcome to the forum Irolo I'm not use about the compresser that you are using but if you go and get on ebay.com you can get a moisture trap w/ regulator and for the hose connection they have a manifold that aloud you to hook up with 3,6 airline at once here is what I was referring to and I hope this helps you out.DSCI1939.JPG

Hi. I just bought an Iwata eclipse airbrush for a mural I'm painting. I've never airbrushed before and most of the info is going way over my head ;-) I've spotted a compressor online for $150 AUD. Can anyone tell me if it's suitable? Thanks!
Air compressor 2.5 horsepower Spear & Jackson air compressor. 40 litre tank, Excellent condition. Runs well. Only used for one owner builder house Extra hoses included (around 25m) Bits and bobs for connections included and Small coil hose.
compressor.jpgcompressor label.jpg

Hi. I just bought an Iwata eclipse airbrush for a mural I'm painting. I've never airbrushed before and most of the info is going way over my head ;-) I've spotted a compressor online for $150 AUD. Can anyone tell me if it's suitable? Thanks!
Air compressor 2.5 horsepower Spear & Jackson air compressor. 40 litre tank, Excellent condition. Runs well. Only used for one owner builder house Extra hoses included (around 25m) Bits and bobs for connections included and Small coil hose.
View attachment 14840View attachment 14841

That is more then what you need to run an airbrush. You can even run a small spray gun on that. The only problem is noise.

Back