Just saying "hi"

B

Brixie

I am new here and totally new to using an airbrush. I live in California with my hubby and 3 dogs. I have 4 grown kids. DSC_0500 (700 x 465).jpg My main hobby is collecting vintage sewing machines. I was in a thrift store checking to see if they had anything new and stumbled onto finding a vintage airbrush. I wasn't even sure what it was at first so I left it there, but it haunted my dreams so I went back for it the next day. I have two or three old machines that will need touch-up or full paint jobs so I figured this would probably do a much nicer job than a spray can.

I am here to research the basics because at this point I don't even know if what I bought is complete. I'll be checking diagrams and beginner tuts first.

Is there anywhere to check serial numbers? The best I can figure is it's a Thayer Chandler model A from the 80's. Also, is there a place to get a manual or instructions for it?

Thank you for having me here. I look forward to learning something new!

Welcome aboard. You may be able to find a manual online. If not try contacting the manufacturer, or even create a thread here asking I anyone has one, and if they are willing to sell or copy it etc.

Hard to tell if its complete, but issues with an old brush like this are likely to be perished seals/ o rings. And possibly worn or damaged needle and nozzle. Though it looks like you have spares, you can't see what condition they are in.

To get started go onto the Airbrush tutor link at the head of the page (you have to register separately) and check out the free tutorials. Everything you need to get started. Then come back here to share and get advice and tips as you go, which could save you a whole bunch of time.

Last edited:
Welcome from the UK, the tutorial here are brilliant , plus loads of help available from members.

Thank you all for the welcomes!

To get started go onto the Airbrush tutor link at the head of the page (you have to register separately) and check out the free tutorials. Everything you need to get started. Then come back here to share and get advice and tips as you go, which could save you a whole bunch of time.

Squishy, Thanks for the info. Are seals easily replaced? As in cheapo O-rings or something? Also thanks for the heads up that I have to register separately. I thought I was being highjacked. ;)

Welcome from Australia,
I agree that checking with the manufacturer for info, just send the picture above and as much detail as you can find on the brush to T & C, they will probably be thrilled to see an 'old' one still kicking about.
Airbrushes don't have serial numbers as such but the Iwata have alphabetic codes on the side of the brush that denote month and year of manufacture, can you see anything similar on the brush ?
I seem to remember there was a website regarding vintage airbrushes, i'll see if I can find it...

try this facebook group, they may be able to point you in the right direction .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479856872258633/?fref=nf

Last edited:
Back