just some friendly advice :)

I

Inkster

Hey guys thought I would post alil something I was taught not too long ago that people seem to overlook

When it comes down to airbrushing, drawing, painting.
eyes, mouths etc or portraiture in general
People seem to wanna see the result fairly quickly (especially if your as impatient as me lol)

So the advice I was given was "paint what you see not what you think should be there"
Along those lines anyway

Alot of artists paint with canvas sideways upside down etc and follow what they see which in turn yeilds results

So to sum up
Dont look at an eye like a eye

Thought I would share that, so I hope it helps :)

Inkster

Oooppsss I think this should have been posted In the tips and tricks could some one move it lol :)

the saying is paint the shapes let the picture take care of itself.
Yes almost every artist at some point in the learning process tries to paint what they think they see but most times it is not what they really see.
So very good advice.

Yes looking inside a picture and seeing all the different elements, from a seemingly random shape, to tiny line, or fading area, etc, etc will take your work to the next level. Actually being able to find it and reproduce it will. That's the part I need to do, I can see it, but painting it ....Lol. And then to be able to use that experience to create your own original work...... well I'll get there....one day.

I do get surprised when I talk about this with family/friends etc, who aren't arty. They don't consciously notice this stuff, but if it isn't there, they know something isn't quite right.

Yes looking inside a picture and seeing all the different elements, from a seemingly random shape, to tiny line, or fading area, etc, etc will take your work to the next level. Actually being able to find it and reproduce it will. That's the part I need to do, I can see it, but painting it ....Lol. And then to be able to use that experience to create your own original work...... well I'll get there....one day.

I do get surprised when I talk about this with family/friends etc, who aren't arty. They don't consciously notice this stuff, but if it isn't there, they know something isn't quite right.

Indeed its amazing what you notice when looking into the picture I now even zoom in I mean as far as I can go to examine texture, those little lines and shades make such a difference to the artworks its unreal.

And same for me my missus cant see what I see and only when I point it out or speak in depth about it does she understand (even then I think shes just agreeing lol)

the saying is paint the shapes let the picture take care of itself.
Yes almost every artist at some point in the learning process tries to paint what they think they see but most times it is not what they really see.
So very good advice.

I do find it hard to find those basic shapes through the blends sometimes as certian images are so complex its harder to see through alittle bit of practice and replecating will get us there in the end

Its all about training that tiny brain we have :D

Well my routine usually goes like this.....find reference, prep colors and item to be painted, set airbrush psi, practice, then spray, curse, adjust spray, CURSE, adjust , CURSE, CURSE,CURSE, throw away , start over, and repeat! lmao

I am trying to teach my teenager this concept. Mentally taking apart a picture and just doing one shape at a time. She is obsessed with eyes. Teaching her that it's a football and not a circle is our challenge right now. I'll give her this though, she is better than I was at her age.

Back