Just started airbrushing

D

deathhasnofriends

Hello all in the Orange Im new to the forum obviously I live in Michigan and I just started airbrushing about a month ago but Im not new to fine art I do a lot of drawings the one thing that sparked my interest in airbrushing was True Fire I know every one does it but I cant help it LOL. Also was interested in fine detail work I started out with an Iwata Eclipse I like it allot still working with reducing my paints properly and getting fine detail so far I’ve only shot water based createx and wicked some transparent and some opaque I tend to get so close that my paint spiders oh well with time comes experience I’ve also done a few skulls.

Welcome to the forum from NH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

welcome death (lol that sounds wrong)
you are going to have a great time here

Welcome home Death .. nice to add you to the family, You have found a great place to hang out and learn .

IMAG0599.jpgIMAG0618.jpgIMAG0647.jpgIMAG0661.jpgThanks Everyone but I was wondering what do I do who do I talk to, To take my flames to the next level also I’ve been working on some skulls over the last few weeks working with shading and different angles of light I made a few of my own stencils and just started filling them in but my flame have hit a dead end for me cause I live in Michigan and its still to cold for me to use any of the urethane paints I bought cause you have to do it outside like in a garage all im using right now is water based wicked and createx paints also I havent used candie colors yet cause I cant find a store that sels them arround here. But I’ve seen some videos of FHF with water based paints and all I can say is WOW I hope to get to that point some day and be able to just do everything free hand but as of right now I still need some stencils to help me with the flames Thanks in advance for any help or constructive criticism.

Attachments

• IMAG0596.jpg
    IMAG0596.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 21
View attachment 12954View attachment 12955View attachment 12956View attachment 12957Thanks Everyone but I was wondering what do I do who do I talk to, To take my flames to the next level also I’ve been working on some skulls over the last few weeks working with shading and different angles of light I made a few of my own stencils and just started filling them in but my flame have hit a dead end for me cause I live in Michigan and its still to cold for me to use any of the urethane paints I bought cause you have to do it outside like in a garage all im using right now is water based wicked and createx paints also I havent used candie colors yet cause I cant find a store that sels them arround here. But I’ve seen some videos of FHF with water based paints and all I can say is WOW I hope to get to that point some day and be able to just do everything free hand but as of right now I still need some stencils to help me with the flames Thanks in advance for any help or constructive criticism.

Welcome to the forum! These look good for your first attempts! I would recommend not relying on your stencils so much. Some create fire completely free hand. I still prefer to use stencils for the crisp lines, but the stenciled edges need to be balanced with freehand strokes as well. I think adding some freehand strokes in your fire will increase the dynamic. Also, keep in mind the hottest parts of the flame don't generally carry all the way up. The best advice I can give you is use a good reference pic of fire. Fire is very difficult to recreate accurately, especially on the fly... Keep up the good work!

Welcome to the forum from another newbie !
You have certainly come to the right place to learn about this fascinating art form.
Helpful advice and encouragement is given in abundance :tears_of_joy:
You are going to love it here.
Happy painting !

Hi from the uk DHNF. Check out Mitch's freehand flames tutorial, could be a big help to you.

Welcome aboard!! Your flames look good for just starting!! Cant wait to see what else you come up with.

I love this sight already and thanks for all the kind replies and I will check out Mitch’s tut on fhf those pics are my 5th 6th and 7th attempt at fire also I use an Iwata Eclipse and I wonder now if I should have bought a Badger Krome cause I find that some time I need something that can offer finer detail but maybe its just me I am new to the whole reducing paint thing I did another skull tonight and found I wanted a little finer detail but when I reduced my PSI to 15 and got really close my paint spidered all over so maybe with allot more practice I can get better detail.

IMAG0665.jpg

Its all trigger control, u'll learn it if u practise a lot, I'm painting a rhino now and i sometimes only hold it a milimeter away, if u look at utube u see the more advanced artists only pull it back a little u can't almost see it, but tey get a little bit of paint out.

Welcome.

One artist that impressed Me ( and many others ) is Marissa oosterlee She asked Me a question while she Was brushing .
"Can you see how small movements i do on The trigger " My answere was short "No" so small moves that it was hard to see from One meter.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Welcome. I'm from Michigan too. The Grand Rapids area. I think the hardest part about flames is being very random. You don't want to repeat the same shapes and curves. Being totally random when airbrushing true flames is what makes it look believable. I have a hard time with this too.

Welcome from Holland....i think that to get how to capture a true fire effect is to do it lots of times and like others said....don't rely on stencils too much. I have done the same thing over and over....and it just don't come out natural with a lot of use with stencils. Lately i don't use them at all anymore and the more i practice it....the better it starts to look ( in my eyes ). Also i think you have to find your own style in a true fire effect, cause it can be easy to some....but hard to copy a certain style for another. But i think when you follow Mitch his tutorial and put in your own style also, you will come a long way too.

Back