Karl Becker's long, strange trip

The latest in what is apparently becoming a series. I had fun with this, working from dark to light on a black canvas. It's not perfect, but I reached the point of diminishing returns. I also learned a few things on this one. Moving on...

View attachment 66632
Nicely done Dude. Again, you’ve nailed the texture on the grip and there’s some really clean work in there.
Nice job with the flag too. Another good way to render the waves is to have some that start at the top and come a little way down and some that start at the bottom and come a way up. It just adds som e further dimension by not having all the waves going top to bottom.
This is a cool piece with some very clean masking. Great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done Karl. I'd think painting a black handgun would be a bit difficult but you did an excellent rendering. And as Si said, the grip texture looks great.

I was born on July 4th so I particularly like the addition of the flag:thumbsup:.

Wild guess, Glock?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's a Glock 35. The reason it took so long to finish this one was trying to figure out how to make the grip texture look right. I ended up buying a Dru Blair skin texture stencil. That thing is amazing!

I'm batting a thousand in guess your handgun Karl:thumbsup:. It's a .40 S&W I think.

I don't know what a Dru skin stencil is but it looks to have worked to perfection.

This is my attempt at the tribal skull project Scott Mackay has available. Scott does a lot of tutorial videos, and also sells the files needed to try it yourself. It's a great learning tool. As always, there are things I could have done better, but it was fun!

Skull2.jpg

This is the tutorial video:

This is Scott's website if anyone wants to check out his stuff:
https://mackayfineart.com/

This is my attempt at the tribal skull project Scott Mackay has available. Scott does a lot of tutorial videos, and also sells the files needed to try it yourself. It's a great learning tool. As always, there are things I could have done better, but it was fun!

View attachment 66663

This is the tutorial video:

This is Scott's website if anyone wants to check out his stuff:
https://mackayfineart.com/
Like I said on FB, Nice job man! [emoji16]
This is a really fun project and a great piece to learn with. What did you paint this on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again, Si! It's a 9"x12" gesso panel I picked up at the local Hobby Lobby. My first time working on a hard surface.

Thanks again, Si! It's a 9"x12" gesso panel I picked up at the local Hobby Lobby. My first time working on a hard surface.
Cool. It’s definitely a new challenge working on a hard surface. But honestly the way I paint, I didn’t find it too much of an adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great job Karl, Hard surface is different but I prefer it, I can play with the paint more, I enjoy the erasing technique.
2nd attempts normally come out better, we learn stuff from the first one wether we realise it or not. Most of my Paint Pals get a 2nd run, sometimes 3 or 4 if I'm really not happy with them.

Nice one Karl. The second is a pretty big improvement bet the first. I like the colour of the skull and the addition of the eye. The blades are cleaner too and you have more contrast in general. Great job.

Nice one Karl. The second is a pretty big improvement bet the first. I like the colour of the skull and the addition of the eye. The blades are cleaner too and you have more contrast in general. Great job.
Thanks, Si! Always learning...

Back