Lacquer paints. Yay or nay?

J

john thompson

Hello all. I've been using the Createx and Spectra-Tex lines for most projects, but I recently got my hands on some Duplicolor Paint-Shop lacquers (you can get at most automotive stores--o'riley's, autozone, etc. around $25 a quart) and was gonna try on some of my automotive projects i.e. helmets, fenders, etc. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this line of paint or something similar?? Seems like most folks are either water-based acrylics or urethanes. Interested in any input. Tanks!

I stay clear of laquers personally but they are ok if you use there system but it's considered a noo to use laquer over enamel google laquer enamel rule and you will see lots of stuff on it. Laquer is in general too hot to lay over enamel causing bad things to happen. L E A rule. lacquer, enamels, acrylics. Basically, any product appearing to the left of the other is able to be successfully covered by it.

oh yessir, fully aware of the lacquer/enamel rule (learned that one the hard way!) but i am curious as to why u might stay away from the lacquers, Strictly? just cuz they're too hot to work with? do they not "pop" as much as the urethanes? im interested in trying some of the ole "true flame" stuff with them, as well as other things. and i do have access to the entire duplicolor paint-shop system (primer, base colors--even some candies, and clear coats) so i guess im just trying to see if anyone has already messed around with this kind of thing before i open a whole quart can and go spraying, and see what the results were. Tanks!

hi all. i'm new to airbrushing iv been practicing for two weeks and still having a hard time. im using QD(quick drying) paint that is lacquer based paint. im spraying on masonite doors, engraving and airbushing them. i dont know if i should change over on to water based paints???? help!!!!! after airbrushing the doors im varnishing them, if i change to water based paint can i spray lacquer based varnish over it???? the doors are interior doors. if i go water based paint will it hold???? i got so many questions and i dont know where to start can someone please help me???? im from south africa and there nt alot of people i know that are airbrushing so im picking everything up over the net. will really apreciate some advise, thanks

hi all. i'm new to airbrushing iv been practicing for two weeks and still having a hard time. im using QD(quick drying) paint that is lacquer based paint. im spraying on masonite doors, engraving and airbushing them. i dont know if i should change over on to water based paints???? help!!!!! after airbrushing the doors im varnishing them, if i change to water based paint can i spray lacquer based varnish over it???? the doors are interior doors. if i go water based paint will it hold???? i got so many questions and i dont know where to start can someone please help me???? im from south africa and there nt alot of people i know that are airbrushing so im picking everything up over the net. will really apreciate some advise, thanks

I don't know about varnish, but you can spray 2K laquer over waterbased just fine. And the paints should hold up well too, just check if they are colour/lightfast so they won't fade. I would recommend Wicked colours as they are very versatile, and can be used on many surfaces, but people prefer different brands so read some reviews to make sure they suit your needs. Are you spraying directly onto wood or do the doors have a sealer/basecoat? If not this could affect the paint in regards to it soaking in, or maybe having to do many layers to get the colour value you want. Sorry can't be more help. Anyone else?

Back