Latest addition Holbein Y-1

2Diverse

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
I got this one yesterday. I've been looking for "A" type brushes as I only have one other in my collection. That one is a Thayer & Chandler Nailaire. I never thought I'd use an A but I recently did a project for a friend and the Nailaire came in handy.

The Holbein is missing the case cover and needle cap. I'll be looking for these to hopefully complete the set. I did install an Odd needle cap that came with my HP-C Plus. It fits and should protect the needle.

I haven't used it yet, hopefully try it out this weekend. It's got some dried blue paint in it so I'll be stripping it down to clean.

Last edited:
Ohhh, I like me a nice Holbien Y-series. If the needle and nozzle are in acceptable condition, you can expect it to be a great performing brush. If you are not familiar, those screws in the side(s) are the needle packing. A drop or two of mineral oil on occasion can keep them from getting all sticky, and needle grabbing as paint builds up in the fibers.

If you are not familiar, those screws in the side(s) are the needle packing. A drop or two of mineral oil on occasion can keep them from getting all sticky, and needle grabbing as paint builds up in the fibers.

Great tip on the mineral oil DaveG. Thank you sir! I didn't know. The needle and nozzle look good to me. I'll know better when I disassemble it.

I had missed a Holbein a couple months ago. I didn't bid high enough:cry:.

I had heard good things about the old Y-dash series, with adjustable heads. I set out to acquire at least one, but had a Dickens of a time getting one that was in good condition. I did eventually, as well as picking up a few that were unused, or old/new stock pieces. I wound up with a few really nice Y, and Y-dashes in about every size. They're kind of large brushes, but will handle doing some very delicate work when treated right.

I saw a pic of five you have posted on the forum last night as I was searching Holbein info here.

Nice group:thumbsup:.

One thing I find fascinating, it looks like the air passage to the nozzle cap has three U shaped channels instead of the typical 1, 2 or 3 holes. I'm not an engineer but this seems like a good set-up.

Here are some shots of my surviving Holbein Y2A which is sadly no longer functioning. It was in parts and I decided to put it back together after seeing this thread. I had to scrounge up a couple of springs as the originals are long lost. I tried it out but the trigger does not always work and the spray is all over the place. It was a lovely little brush to use back in the day but getting it back to that state looks to be beyond my expertise.

20211123_204146.jpg 20211123_204210.jpg 20211123_204254.jpg

That is a nice looking AB:). It's sad about the unavailability of parts for it. I try to keep an eye out for parts for a number of older brushes I have that I'd like spares for. It takes time usually. Took over a year of active searching to find a color cup for my Binks Raven. I did find one.

Parts, or complete airbrushes, do crop up once in a while:thumbsup:.

spares are tough with the Holbeins. I think because they were a different manufacturer than the bulk of the other Japanese and Taiwanese brushes. most others share at least some common components, and can usually be made to work by sorting through replacement parts from another named brand... Not the Holbeins. A very unique build, for sure.

I have found a few that I purchased at very reasonable prices thinking I could use them for parts, but they wind up being too cool to tear apart ;) - so, I wind up with another working brush added to the collection:laugh:lol:rolleyes::thumbsup:.

A few from the mid (to late) 70's -

Holbeins Mont Ward x 3.jpg

Back