Learning to use Createx Illustration Paint

Airbrush Dreams

Air-Valve Autobot!
As you know I have been learning how to use Createx Illustration Paint and wanted to give an update. I have found this paint to be a plus to my arsenal at this point. It is a vary finicky paint, but when it is used properly you can do some awesome work.

I have found that if you use it according to the buffing method the paint work as intended. You need to mix in the whites and blacks to keep the paint flowing properly. I have had issues with spitting little blobs of paint on occasion. Today I found that with mixing the flesh tone and adding the white in a mixing cup and then placing two drops of W500 in my cup and then adding 6 drops of my custom buffed color the paint flowed perfectly. Once I went back to straight color and W500 the paint spit again. Once I went back to the buffed color and W500 it was okay again. Like I said finicky. I love the way it is erasing with soft and hard erasing techniques. I just can't let myself get lazy.

I was using it with my Micron SB at 5 psi and constantly checking the needle tip for dried paint. I believe I am adapting to this new paint after two weeks of trial and error. I will be posting the picture of Penny when it is complete and actually this time it is even more accurate than the first two attempts.

Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

Fred

I know exactly what you mean. I have yet to experiment with it though. I did one small project with white and black and noticed some odd behaviors when mixing. At first I thought it was my brush but I tried two other brushes and had the same effects. I just got a small bottle of the 4012 reducer but have not had time to experiment. Have you used that yet?

I have a few small bottles of the W500 which is the same as the 4012 as far as I know. I was thinking of trying doing the drops of Illustration reducer and then adding the paint so that the reducer melts the pigments properly. That is how Createx recommends mixing the paint. They said that if you do it in the other order you may have clumps of pigment that do not mix. This may be the cause for the spitting.

I usually mix in a shot glass and I have noticed that when the paint dries to the sides of the glass you can see small clumps of pigment. I think what is happening is the same in the airbrush until it builds enough to push out of the nozzle and spit on the artwork. When I mixed with the W500 it seems to prevent this. Technically you are creating a urethane because W500 has solvent in it. I would love to know how Dru works with the paint straight out of the bottle and not have this. Some day when I get filthy rich I will go take his class. I have been dreaming of taking his classes for years, but being on disability I can't ask my family to go without just for little old Fred.

Excellent work fred, glad you have persevered with the paint and worked past the finicky bits. Everybody has off days/weeks where nothing seems to go right huh? But its great when you flip it round and get break throughs like this

Excellent work fred, glad you have persevered with the paint and worked past the finicky bits. Everybody has off days/weeks where nothing seems to go right huh? But its great when you flip it round and get break throughs like this
It could be worse, you could be like me and generally suck, but have the odd good days here and there LOL!

Back