Leaving airbrushing and selling EVERYTHING!

D

Dart Vader

I have decided to get rid of everything I own because I have been trying to produce something for months and continue to fail miserably. I need to generate more income and airbrushing equipment and materials are nothing more than a huge drain on any financial resources and a major WASTE of a person's time.

Selling:
Badger SOTAR 202 with additional fine needle and tip set
Badger Universal 360 with medium needle and tips set, plus fine needle and tip set
Paasche model D500 compressor
Six foot air hose and ten foot air hose
Plus tons of Createx paints and a few Com Art paints

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear. But you don't master airbrushing in months. Maybe years if you are lucky.

Sorry to hear that Darren, why don't you show what you have been trying to do and we may be able to help, maybe you are trying to run before you walk? It takes time but if you start with some basic images to learn first then you can build your confidence, we have all gone through the same pitfalls to begin with. I hope you can reconsider, but if not I wish you all the best in you future endeavours and thank you for taking part in our little community.

Kev

Update:
The wife has removed my entire collection of airbrushing equipment from the house and will not disclose to me its location.
This matter will be revisited.

Update:
The wife has removed my entire collection of airbrushing equipment from the house and will not disclose to me its location.
This matter will be revisited.

Your wife is pretty clever, and like Andre said, Rome wasn't built in a day, we've all been at that point and to be honest if it wasn't for this forum and the guys on it, I would have been joining you.

Take kev's advice and tell us what's beating you, there is absolutely no shame in asking for help, that's how everyone gets started, I've done some stuff I was pleased with, but then for some reason everything I did was no good, but I just spent some time getting my tools properly cleaned ans have gone back to the basics, I've even re-watched a lot of Mitch's video's, It's amazing what you can forget when your trying to learn.

Simply take a little time out and get asking stuff and I'll sneak a peak at the answers you get, lol

And important to remember, If you did sell your stuff, you would have lost a lot more than half what the stuff cost, so even if your still unsure, keep it until you are absolutely 101% certain.

After years and years spent behind the airbrush, I still get frustrated from time to time. One of the pitfalls that goes with being an artist is most uf us are our own worst critic... Striving for perfection is very difficult, especially through your own eyes. Over the years i've learned the flip side to that is most people will never see the imperfections we see in our own work. I had a look at your gallery to see what you've been up to, but nothing has been uploaded. I agree with Cordyk, if you show us what you've been working on... perhaps we can help. Judging by your avatar, I think you have a lot of potential. I would hate to see it wasted...

But...

If you were to come up with a price for your troubles... I will try and help you out financially....

Like, I'll buy your stuf bro

After years and years spent behind the airbrush, I still get frustrated from time to time. One of the pitfalls that goes with being an artist is most uf us are our own worst critic... Striving for perfection is very difficult, especially through your own eyes. Over the years i've learned the flip side to that is most people will never see the imperfections we see in our own work. I had a look at your gallery to see what you've been up to, but nothing has been uploaded. I agree with Cordyk, if you show us what you've been working on... perhaps we can help. Judging by your avatar, I think you have a lot of potential. I would hate to see it wasted...

You took the words right out of my mouth. It must have been while you were kissing me.
Meat Loaf - Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Bat Out Of Hell - Original Tour) - YouTube

Judging by your avatar you already have a personal style.
People don't Fail. They quit.

It will take time, it will be frustrating - but that is the greatest motivation for a human to move forward. If you have nothing to aim for then it becomes pointless. Best of luck with your decision

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! if i had a nickel for every time i said im just gonna quit............. i would be broke, because thats not in my DNA!! use that to drive forward, nothing comes easy in life that is worth having!! i agree with the others that you show your style in your avatar, it may just be you need some fine tuning. dont try and paint great work, try and paint a great practice piece. lower your expectations, then when you make a masterpiece you will even shock yourself to the point that you will have the confidence to do more challenging things. confidence is a big role in learning this addiction, but its an addiction that wont land you in jail, or lose your teeth like meth, lol!! that is what makes it great!!! say yes to PAINTING, not METH, lol!!!

Hey, like some posted you need to ask for tips on how to improve.
I have no clue who you are but it bothers me that you would just up and quit out of frustration.
I will tell you truthfully, after more than a year at airbrushing I still suck pretty badly.
I have airbrushed a scooter with flames hoping to make some cash, Its been for sale 4 months and not one person has come to look at it.
My riding buddies tell me it looks good, strangers say it looks good but nobody wants to buy it.
I look at it and see a whole lot of mistakes and places where I could have done better.

I encourage you to post up pics of what you have airbrushed and read what people have to say, you might be surprised at the little improvements you can do that will make the biggest impact and help you to feel better about what your seeing.
Your wife obviously knows something you don't, and sees something your not seeing.
Your wife loves you so no matter what you decide you have a pretty good life.
I cant afford to buy your supplies right now so I also think you should obtain them from your wife after listening intently to her and what she has to say (about everything), contemplate on it seriously for a time, days in fact.
Then get to Airbrushing everything you find laying around your neighborhood, just bring it home and airbrush it and put it on craigslist for five dollars.
Keep doing this until I have the money to buy your airbrush stuff from you.
One more thing, Keep It Clean! I don't want to be buying a bunch of junk years from now.
Mega.

Darren I hope that was a heat of the moment thing, and that after some reflection, you are maybe reconsidering. I am nowhere near where I would like to be, and get so frustrated at times that I could spontaneously combust, but just because you are not where you thought you'd be, doesn't mean you are failing (that's what I tell myself anyway LOL). I have to stop thinking about where I thought I would be, or where I think I should be etc, and focus on how far I have come. "Months" is a VERY short span of time for airbrushing, but I bet if you look at what you did the first time you picked up a brush, and look at where you are now, you will see obvious improvements. Sometimes the steps we take are so small, that we almost don't appear to be moving, but small or not, as long as they are taken, it's a step in the right direction. This is something I struggled with myself at first, although that was due more to my own arrogance in thinking I would just be able "to do it", and then realising I couldn't.
I think frustration is a part of the passion that makes us want to improve, and you obviously have that, just don't let it overshadow the process of actually learning. The bigger the frustration the greater the reward when it does all come together. If it was easy there would be no challenge right? I hope you reconsider, I'm sure everyone on the forum will be here to support, advise and encourage you. God knows most of us have needed that at some point or another.

Darren, reading the others posts, i have not so much to add but ask you just one question: What brought you to airbrushing and what encouraged you to but these equipment before? I believe that you just lost this excitement along the learning process and focused more on creating breathtaking airbrushed works. What is more appreciated IMHO is that someone climbs the ladder step by step and that everyone sees his potential in doing better next time. You must find back the excitement you lost along the way and take back your favorite hobby with new 2013 hands.
Selling them will just make you regret it sometimes and seeing the person you sold it creates nice job with it will just make you feel guilty you sold all that.
Myself started airbrushing many many years before and internet was not available for guides and tutorials, i left all these on the shelf and some months ago i found back what i lost along the way. Trust me, i am more excited now and i am not better than before, but with the community here and the loads of info available to get my learning curve less steep, i will never sell my equipment..anyway i upgraded to other brushes and paints lately.
All this to tell you not to quit and we would be sad to have a rising star artist leave the community before he starts to shine.

never give up Darren. You will shine someday
Mining for diamonds never give up.jpg

Bryan

Darren, trust me, I have been there! However, once everything is a reality and you may sell it you realize that all of your efforts are worth nothing. I was going to sell my CMC+ but then something happened. My painting sold and I was surprised by how I felt about it. The gallery took 40% and yet it was my first attempt to sell something at an actual gallery. It wasn't how much I made but the effort to keep trying. If you love it, then don't quit my friend. It's extremely hard to make a living at this, but that is a goal. Even if you don't, it's a love hate and if I was to guess, more love than hate. Just sleep on it. Talk to your wife, explore, experiment and enjoy again without the pressure of making money. Worked for me and I do it when I can and love it still. Keep us updated Darren. Don't be too rash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Darren. Everyone else has pretty much said it and like everyone else I have had struggles and I still have them. But that is what helps you grow as an artist. Learning what not to do is what you learn every time you mess up and then you learn how to fix it. I get frustrated as well with not making money like I would like to, and I sure get an earful from the rib/wife about how I always spend money on paint or airbrushes not to make it back. But one day!!!! I hope!!! Haaaa!!! Then she can get off of my a** Haaa!!! J/K Would like to see some of your work but either way what ever you decide to do good luck to ya!

Agree with all the comments above..Stick it out for a bit longer, you have all your set-up (if the wife gives it back ;)) so costs shldn't be too outlandish from here on (besides paint top ups) and remember this...Theres airbrush artists out there that can paint portraits like you wouldn't believe, but suck at fire/flames..There's artists out there that paint fire and flames like legends but struggle to paint portraits. There's artists out there that are jack of all trades and masters at none..So on and on and on..Find your nieche mate and stick with it for awhile, learn as many of its ins and outs then move on to a new challenge, and make that your new focus..There may be many styles you'll never master, no matter how long you airbrush for but who knows you may just find that area that will sell a lot of your work and one that you feel the most comfy with..Its all trial and error m8, the only way we learn is to make mistakes....Walk away from whats bothering you and come back to it 6 months down the track and try again when the foundation is stronger...GL with whatever you choose to do :)

So its been a few days and I have returned to my standard operational status... (no longer frustrated)
Yes, my statement here was made in haste at the height of my frustration. At that time the plan to sell the whole collection was real and I had fully accepted it.
Everyone who replied here had some affect upon my rationale which resulted in changing my intent to sell.
But the person having the greatest affect is my wife. She was genuinely very upset with my intent to give up and she was not willing to give in to my persistent requests for the equipment to be returned to me.
I recant my original statement regarding the selling of my airbrushing equipment. I thank everyone who replied to show support of a (hopefully someday...) fellow artist.
Thank You.
For those who have requested that I post my work for input and critique from established artists, I cannot.
On the day that I had decided to sell my stuff I also shredded and destroyed ALL failed attempts and work in progress. At the time I was very frustrated...
Yes, I do regret doing that.
The only thing which remains is the cell phone camera image of my avatar.
My avatar was a copy piece which I did simply for the free-hand exercise and experience.

View attachment 8475 This is the original skull image which I used as a guide. The artist was listed as "Anonymous" on the site where I found it.

View attachment 8476 This is the result of my attempt.

So I will end this posting here.
Soon I will make another attempt with the airbrush.
The results I will post in the proper area of this forum so I can receive the critiquing which will help me to improve my skills.

Added: Yesterday I informed my wife that I am changing my attitude about this hastily made decision. Later that day she presented me with all my airbrushing equipment PLUS a full set of Wicked Detail colors! I have not yet had the experience of working with Wicked colors. From posts that I have read here I am getting exited at the opportunity to do so...

Trying too hard is often the reason your results are not what you expect ,play some tunes and relax when your doing the work and all of a sudden it will come together .My self am having to learn all over again due to injury and use the other hand ,its like being back at school learning to write .Stick with it and good luck.

I have just purchased a compressor and have ordered a new Iwata airbrush. I have not used one in 30 years! I have some goals with the tool, but I will practice like mad to get the basics down, before I proceed (hopefully). I expect some level of frustration, but I will look at as part of the curve. Hopefully you will keep at it, I have been painting traditionally for years. Post some work, would love to see what you have done. A great bunch here will provide much needed critique and ideas for you to keep on. I do believe persistence pays off

Bro, it is good that you're back. Now, find some reference pictures that you're passionate about (women, skulls, roses, birds and the bees, more women) and start painting those. if you like what you're painting, i guarantee that it will come out looking awesome.

Back