Lessons Learned

P

paulreed

Finding that airbrush paints seem to work in the same manner as acrylic brush paints. I've found that when airbrushing on wood, you can not cover a darker color with a lighter color, with an exception of white. In attempting to use Wicked Green on a Black base coat, the Green dries Black. I have to put down white first wherever I want the Green. Would love to hear other's experience in this.

It would really depend if you are using the detail colors or the standard Wicked. The detail colors are more transparent than the standard Wicked. Although just like an automotive finish, having a good base coat as a sealer for your substrate, will give better color intensity with less coats. I am having this issue now trying to adjust to painting on darker fabrics. Gotta use a ton of white to get the color to pop.

I'm using Wicked, 1:1 ratio. Have also found that on wood, the paint acts more like a stain - the wood grain being a darker color than the pulp. Nice effect, but not what I'm shooting for. Also discovered on wood, that the wetness of the paint causes areas of the wood to splinter and curl up (I sanded the surface to a smooth finish with 220 grit before painting)- apparently a weather/water sealant needs to be used first (?).

Areas on the surface of the wood where wood putty was used to fill dings and cracks dry to a higher gloss than the other areas, even though these areas where sanded back down to the wood surface.

Back