Lightening

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
Is there any way to lighten an area at all? I wanted to go over with white, naturally, but I know i will get crazy town blue shift all over the world of the piece. Is there anything i can to try and lighten areas that got too dark?

Is your paint rewettable? I used a damp sponge to wipe of larger areas and a damp Q Tip for small areas when I've been using Etac.

What are you trying to lighten? Black and white painting , Color painting?
What kind of surface is it painted on ? Paper ,metal
White can be used with out the blue shift , Blue shift happens mainly over black , A touch of Orange to the white helps stop the blue shift as to how much to add you will have to do a test panel to see for yourself. But it does not take much.

^ As haaasje said, is there a possibilty of going darker around it? If not you could also try to use a standard eraser. Put it on its largest surface area so it sits flat and gently work it with little downward pressure (ie light hands). The bigger the eraser the better, also a putty eraser may be worth a try and if i got real desperate I would also try using masking tape, keep sticking it on and gently removing over and over, often this can really help just pull a small amount of pigment back out of the canvas but hard to say pending on how well its cured off..Good luck..

Is there any way to lighten an area at all? I wanted to go over with white, naturally, but I know i will get crazy town blue shift all over the world of the piece. Is there anything i can to try and lighten areas that got too dark?
HI, can`t offer any advice on lightening. But it is easy to fall into the trap of going too dark at times. I`m afraid it is one of my weaknesses. All i can say is that in the future, try to be light handed with your darks unless it`s needed. It is so easy to darken light areas, but so hard to lighten dark areas, without ruining you art. I have learnt that the hard way. there`s a lesson to be learnt every day with any sort of artworks. Good luck with it though.

That's a good idea rebel, i didn't think of the tape, that may work even if not on this piece, a furture mess up :). Hassje, I thought about going darker on the surrounding areas, but then didn't trust myself and felt like i would fly off the handle with so much darkening and not be able to stop myself haha. But that is something i should give a go at as well.

Mr. micron
Its a black white painting Using Etac
The surface is canson artboard, which i have found out I don't really like
And about the orange, i don't have a wide variety of colors as of right now, for orange i have only Comart: Op Dinitrile orange and Tans orange. Could i use those?

i don't have a wide variety of colors as of right now, for orange i have only Comart: Op Dinitrile orange and Tans orange. Could i use those?

yer it generally only needs a cple of drops to counter the blue shift, in cases of major stuff up I also occasionally just fog the entire piece back..If its a grey scale you can do so with your light grey, this wont shift as much over the darks..Take it to the point where you can just see the painting poking through the fogging and then simply use that as a reference to repaint the piece..its a pain but it can slavage any work in greyscale or b&w..good luck..

Back