Line stutter issue

A

Alaskatazdvl

photo (4).JPGphoto (5).JPG

OK so I am trying to do the texture tutorials with the wrinkles and hair and am finding I am having some issues. I use a Master G22 (I know kind of a cheapy) with a .3 needle and Createx paints. I have tried thinning the paint and changing air pressures and changing speeds (hand movement speed) but I still can't seem to get a consistent line. I try to keep the needle cleaned but this darned black paint dries so fast I'm wondering if that isn't my problem. Anyhow, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

one if two things I think brother, maybe a blocked nozzle, in which case give it a thorough clean through our could be a pulsation issue with your compressor, what compressor are you using is it a direct jet (no tank)
I could be wrong on both counts but if I am someone will be along son to tell ya

Few things, judging by how dark your black line is there you could really reduce it a little more, it shouldn't dry in your cup that fast or needle tip. Black always works great for me, white is the real pain!!
Second I believe your nozzle has a small piece of dried paint in there. Thales your nozzle out and clean it with our normal cleaner and a small paint brush. The brush will keep you from damaging your nozzle and flaring the end. When you do this you'll be amazed at what is in there that you missed. Hope this helps!!

Josh

one if two things I think brother, maybe a blocked nozzle, in which case give it a thorough clean through our could be a pulsation issue with your compressor, what compressor are you using is it a direct jet (no tank)
I could be wrong on both counts but if I am someone will be along son to tell ya
My compressor is a TC-20 tankless compressor. My hubby is going to put a tank in-line for me this weekend. (mostly for water issues). So I'll see about that. But I will try cleaning the nozzle again and see what I get. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Few things, judging by how dark your black line is there you could really reduce it a little more, it shouldn't dry in your cup that fast or needle tip. Black always works great for me, white is the real pain!!
Second I believe your nozzle has a small piece of dried paint in there. Thales your nozzle out and clean it with our normal cleaner and a small paint brush. The brush will keep you from damaging your nozzle and flaring the end. When you do this you'll be amazed at what is in there that you missed. Hope this helps!!

Josh
Thanks Monkey man! Your always very helpful :) Anyhow, I did water the paint down but I guess I need to go farther with it. I'm just using water right now (with Createx Airbrush paint) gotta order the actual reducer stuff yet. I had read somewhere about like 1 drop paint to like 15 drops reducer??? Is this right? I just reduce to the consistency of milk like I've been told.

what do they say "assumption it's the mother all fudge ups" you are not a brother at all are you?...all the best to you sister!

at that ratio it wil be much much thinner than milk, but you can still use the ratio you are talking of....it's a method that some pros use as you can build the layers really really lightly and slowly without spraying to much excess all over the shop....as a general rule though.milk is about right, it should hang on the side of your cup for just a second before dispersing, if this makes any sense

what do they say "assumption it's the mother all fudge ups" you are not a brother at all are you?...all the best to you sister!

LOL yes I am a sister (at least last time I checked anyhow) ;-)

at that ratio it wil be much much thinner than milk, but you can still use the ratio you are talking of....it's a method that some pros use as you can build the layers really really lightly and slowly without spraying to much excess all over the shop....as a general rule though.milk is about right, it should hang on the side of your cup for just a second before dispersing, if this makes any sense

I tried adding quite a bit more water and it seemed to help. Just makes it more of a grey than black which just means more layers (more chances to screw it up for me LOL).

Has the sputtering stopped?

If the paint is grey it may a tad to thin but you don't want that over powering black either. That 15 to 1 seems to ok but it will be grayish with that ratio. I still think there may be a little gunk left in the nozzle. Just keep playing around with the mixtures cause it will be very valuable later on. And now that I know your a sista, I will use the word "mam" more often, lol!!

Josh

Try adding 25% of 70 proof or better alcohol to 75% bottled water. It helps make the paint flow better .
Yes the more reduced you run your paint the more layers you have to run , But that is also that much more practice you will get in too.
See a bright side to everything:D
The Home brew reducer that work great with all Createx paints (WICKED,AutoAir and Createx) is 1 drop per ounce mixed of glycerin with the above alcohol water mixture. the glycerin aids in less tip dry but to much glycerin can cause fish eyes when you clear coat it. So I use an eye dropper when adding it to the mix.

Your airbrush pressure looks too low with more reduction of paint required + you need a tank to add on to your compressor.
I don't reduce my paint quite that much but others do with great results - experiment and see what works for you:) The guys above have put you on the right track:)

Try adding 25% of 70 proof or better alcohol to 75% bottled water. It helps make the paint flow better .
Yes the more reduced you run your paint the more layers you have to run , But that is also that much more practice you will get in too.
See a bright side to everything:D
The Home brew reducer that work great with all Createx paints (WICKED,AutoAir and Createx) is 1 drop per ounce mixed of glycerin with the above alcohol water mixture. the glycerin aids in less tip dry but to much glycerin can cause fish eyes when you clear coat it. So I use an eye dropper when adding it to the mix.

I really don't want to use my whiskey for painting LOL (j/k) I live in a pretty rural place in Alaska and I wouldn't even know where to start to find Glycerin. I will be purchasing the illustration base next week. It definitely got better with more water but just a little light so I will try backing down the water a little bit. Thanks for all the tips.

Has the sputtering stopped?

If the paint is grey it may a tad to thin but you don't want that over powering black either. That 15 to 1 seems to ok but it will be grayish with that ratio. I still think there may be a little gunk left in the nozzle. Just keep playing around with the mixtures cause it will be very valuable later on. And now that I know your a sista, I will use the word "mam" more often, lol!!

Josh
LOL no mam necessary I'll start looking for my mom ;-) Anyhow, I did clean the nozzle but did not find anything in there. I'm thinking just reducing it down some really helped I'll just back it off so it's not quite so light.

I really don't want to use my whiskey for painting LOL (j/k) I live in a pretty rural place in Alaska and I wouldn't even know where to start to find Glycerin. I will be purchasing the illustration base next week. It definitely got better with more water but just a little light so I will try backing down the water a little bit. Thanks for all the tips.

Glycerin can be found at any local drug store . and no not the drinking kind of alcohol unless you can get Josh (seamonkeyman) to send you some good moon shine...LOL. Also order some restorer by Createx, That stuff will cut through and dried up paint, I use to think I had everything super claen until I got some of that stuff. Great thing about it , you can use it over and over again. My bottle of it is like 4 years old and still pour it in a cleaning bowl soak the nozzle then run it through a paint filter bad into the bottle.
I was blown away of how much stuff was left in that nozzle. Just do not soak the entire airbrush in it cause the rubber O-rings in the air valve will be toast...(Learned that the hard way).

Good luck darlín

Last edited:
One more thing you might check is the thread seal of your nozzle and/or head cap. I'm not familiar with your particular airbrush but my Iwata hp-bcs was skipping. I called it machine gunning. I couldn't figure it out and sent it in to Iwata. Turns out the head cap just needed a little snugging to eliminate the problem. I've seen several folks suggest putting a tiny bit of beeswax or even chapstick on those threads before snugging up. Please keep us updated on the solution to the problem and welcome to the forum.

Glycerin can be found at any local drug store . and no not the drinking kind of alcohol unless you can get Josh (seamonkeyman) to send you some good moon shine...LOL. Also order some restorer by Createx, That stuff will cut through and dried up paint, I use to think I had everything super claen until I got some of that stuff. Great thing about it , you can use it over and over again. My bottle of it is like 4 years old and still pour it in a cleaning bowl soak the nozzle then run it through a paint filter bad into the bottle.
I was blown away of how much stuff was left in that nozzle. Just do not soak the entire airbrush in it cause the rubber O-rings in the air valve will be toast...(Learned that the hard way).

Good luck darlín
Awesome thanks for the tip on the Restorer. Didn't know about it. I will definitely order some of that when I get my reducer. Amazon.com is so my friend. LOL It makes it so much easier to get things to my house then trying to find it in Anchorage (which is 3 hours away) lol.

One more thing you might check is the thread seal of your nozzle and/or head cap. I'm not familiar with your particular airbrush but my Iwata hp-bcs was skipping. I called it machine gunning. I couldn't figure it out and sent it in to Iwata. Turns out the head cap just needed a little snugging to eliminate the problem. I've seen several folks suggest putting a tiny bit of beeswax or even chapstick on those threads before snugging up. Please keep us updated on the solution to the problem and welcome to the forum.
It seems to have gotten much better by reducing down the paint quite a bit. Thanks though. I learned about that cap needing to be snug when I first got this thing and spent a whole day trying to figure out why it wouldn't work when I had the head cap off. LOL. That was not a good day. ;-)

The other thing which no one has covered here which can cause splattering is water in the air line....compressing air causes moisture to accumulate and if you don't have a water trap on your compressor then water will most definately find it's way into your air hose and interrupt the flow of air.....this is more likely to happen on a tankless compressor than one with a tank....but either way it is a good practice to have a water trap at the compressor and a smaller one at the airbrush, thus allowing a good clean flow of air...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got a tank set up and that seemed to help a little, but changing paints was amazing. I just got a starter set of spectra-tex it was incredible the difference. Fine lines and more control of flow. WOW. Wished I'd had this stuff all along.

Well I got a tank set up and that seemed to help a little, but changing paints was amazing. I just got a starter set of spectra-tex it was incredible the difference. Fine lines and more control of flow. WOW. Wished I'd had this stuff all along.

Yes Spectra-tex is some great paint and it flows like a dream even through my micron with little to no reduction.
Glad you have found some paint you like now look forward to seeing some work form you.

Back