Lines Exercise

wydeglyde

Young Tutorling
My first real attempt at doing lines 1 handed going slow. looks like an ekg lol Needs alot more work but there it is 1st post of anything i have airbrushed also

Attachments

• 20230508_205632.jpg
    20230508_205632.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 12
Great first effort :) try a 2 handed approach and different speeds till You find a sweet spot, I also find a 2 handed grip with the knuckle of My pinky finger lightly resting on the work helps a lot :thumbsup:

yea 2 handed be way easier. Was trying to do the Art Teknika drill using 1 hand, going faster makes it alot eaisier to keep a straight line. trying tobwork on control. Is her exercise the best for that? Basicslly she wants single handed lines going slow slow till you can do it straight! super tough

I never really got on with the exercises so just jumped in and started painting. I probably should practice at some time :)
Keep at it, it will all become second nature before long :thumbsup:

I was one that jumped in feet first and managed to not drown but there is value in doing foundation exercises as it gives you the control and consistency you need to create good art.

speed definitely helps with straighter lines, initially I would suggest shorter lines and gradually get longer once you have the control.

yea 2 handed be way easier. Was trying to do the Art Teknika drill using 1 hand, going faster makes it alot eaisier to keep a straight line. trying tobwork on control. Is her exercise the best for that? Basicslly she wants single handed lines going slow slow till you can do it straight! super tough
i do exercises if something isn't working the way i feel it should or if I feel that I need to warm up. I don't get much time to paint so when I do I don't want to just spray dots and daggers and lines but if you spend the time working those things it will come back to you 10 fold. Hard to say what the best exercises are but I like Daniel Powers stuff. makes sense to me and I have seen growth in my work by doing some of his exercises.

Hello everybody, looking good. I do the same exercise to warm up. I take it just one step further and draw a vertical line on the left and right side of the page. That way you can train your start and stop point as well. Turn the page 90 degrees and you train your up and down lines. Using two hands stabilizes the hole deal especially if you hand is shaking. 😅

So if I’m not mistaking you put the practice sheet under the glass and do your exercises on the glass? That way you practice on a non absorbing surface! I have to try this and thanks for sharing😉👍

Yes thats correct Nightwish, then you can just wipe the glass clean and start again, or even use different sheets under the glass, an old photo frame or clip frame does the job :)

Thats a good effort for painting on glass wyde :)

Thanks Kingpin! Its alot different than paper for sure. like that a little cleaner and Bam clean practice sheet again! And Yes Night watch thats it exactly i personally hace a 16x20 picture frame my wife found posterboard almost that exact size i made about 4 different practice sheets based off of whar DredFx uses in his beginner youtube vids

Back