Lines

kchopp

Young Tutorling
Ok, I've been practicing lines and dots til I'm seeing them in my sleep. I do fine with the back and forth lines, straight and mostly on the money, but I cant keep a straight line when I go up and down. I can't post a sample yet, (too new here), but you know what a crooked line looks like anyway. I guess I use the body for the side to side motion, but the up and down breaks the bracing that I have worked out.

Ok, I've been practicing lines and dots til I'm seeing them in my sleep. I do fine with the back and forth lines, straight and mostly on the money, but I cant keep a straight line when I go up and down. I can't post a sample yet, (too new here), but you know what a crooked line looks like anyway. I guess I use the body for the side to side motion, but the up and down breaks the bracing that I have worked out.

Well being you have now passed your 5th post you should be able to upload a picture . Now here is how to do it , When you click on reply yo post , you will notice 3 tabs on the lower right hand side
post quick reply go advance and cancel.. Click on the go advance.
Now you will see a screen that looks more like the one did when you made this thread. look for the paperclip icon and click on it. Now just hit select file and upload it ..

As far as up and down , I lock my elbow ti my wide and move my hands up and down . This seems the best way to get straight lines.

But if you are seeing them in your sleep , you know what that means ,,,, Time to paint a picture... The Eye comes to mind. for a good starters piece but it can be anything you want it to be,
the main thing is to have fun doing it.

Try as Micron said with your elbows and I take a breath and breath out as I am running my line. Kind of like when pulling the trigger on a rifle. I don't know if anyone else does this but it works for me!

023.jpgHere is a reference photo of my dog. I thought it would be a good practice for dagger strokes with all the whispy fur.

Furry little thing! What kind of dog is it? The reason I am asking is we found a black lab and it is mixed with something and we have been trying to figure out what it is mixed with! Your dogs face looks like my dogs only mine has hair like a black lab! Haaa!! It looks like a good fun challenge to paint though!

View attachment 11219Here is a reference photo of my dog. I thought it would be a good practice for dagger strokes with all the whispy fur.

That is a bold practice piece for a beginner. But you will never know under you do...Notice I did not say try , So I look forward to seeing this reference picture turned into a painting..
Remember to take your time study the reference and do not stress over mistakes , We all make them..

That is a bold practice piece for a beginner. But you will never know under you do...Notice I did not say try , So I look forward to seeing this reference picture turned into a painting..
Remember to take your time study the reference and do not stress over mistakes , We all make them..

Well said!!

Furry little thing! What kind of dog is it? The reason I am asking is we found a black lab and it is mixed with something and we have been trying to figure out what it is mixed with! Your dogs face looks like my dogs only mine has hair like a black lab! Haaa!! It looks like a good fun challenge to paint though!

Looks like a long haired Daschund to me but I could be wrong. My mates mum had 2 years ago they were great..

She is a long haired miniature Dachshund (wiener dog). I don't think a lab would mix well. LOL

She is a long haired miniature Dachshund (wiener dog). I don't think a lab would mix well. LOL

Right and what ever it is mixed with doesn't either!! Haaa!! He is a good boy what ever he is mixed with!!

I have an overhead projector to transfer the picture to a big sheet of paper for practice. How detailed do I have to get with the drawing? And how do you map out the light and dark areas in the drawing? Is there a good tutorial on drawing up a plan of action with the projected image? Sorry for the many questions, and thanks so much for the help. Later I'll post a formal introduction of myself.

I have an overhead projector to transfer the picture to a big sheet of paper for practice. How detailed do I have to get with the drawing? And how do you map out the light and dark areas in the drawing? Is there a good tutorial on drawing up a plan of action with the projected image? Sorry for the many questions, and thanks so much for the help. Later I'll post a formal introduction of myself.

as far as how detail that depends on your artistic ability , when I first start I would do everything but now main get the outline and the key detail points and than go for broke.

Well I tweeked my reference photo a little.023 (3).jpg

Also, here is a couple pics of a practice sheet. I have lines on top of the dots.
019.jpg

Back