Liquid Masking Vs Liquid Frisket

otpowell

Double Actioner
What's the difference? Anyone know? I bought liquid masking @ Walmart for approx 7 dollars. Liquid Frisket is sold at Michels for $17 for much smaller bottle. Wondering what the difference is.. Does Frisket go on smother and you are able to cut it like Frisket paper? Seems like you would be able to cut the liquid latex masking the same way.

pretty much the same thing.
But it like putting the cart before the horse when you buy things than ask questions about it.
I have use liquid masking and liquid frisket on a couple of helmet lay outs. both pretty much acted the same way. As far as cutting it like you would frisket , I never did. I made a shield of the space I want to save to shield it from getting where I did not want it to go .

Thanks Mr. Micron. I never knew they had liquid Frisket until I saw it at Michael's.. Wonder why there is such a huge price difference.. Do you usually brush it on really thick? Or can you brush it on thin and it still peels off easy?

Thanks Mr. Micron. I never knew they had liquid Frisket until I saw it at Michael's.. Wonder why there is such a huge price difference.. Do you usually brush it on really thick? Or can you brush it on thin and it still peels off easy?

I only have used it on hard surfaces like helmets , I put a thin even (as I can get it) coat on to protect the areas I do not want paint.
I use an old greeting card to cut the design of the area I will be painting in and start the brush on the card and pull it toward the area of coverage.
Price difference is called marketing LOL

I only have used it on hard surfaces like helmets , I put a thin even (as I can get it) coat on to protect the areas I do not want paint.
I use an old greeting card to cut the design of the area I will be painting in and start the brush on the card and pull it toward the area of coverage.
Price difference is called marketing LOL

I haven't tried the liquid frisket. Can you put it over your painted work or will it not work without ruining your piece?

I haven't tried the liquid frisket. Can you put it over your painted work or will it not work without ruining your piece?

Being I have only used it with urethane paint , It works fine , Water based I have yet to try.

Being I have only used it with urethane paint , It works fine , Water based I have yet to try.

You would think if it is water based it wouldn't work to well over water base paint without giving you some problems. I was just curious because regular frisket has pulled up water base paints on me before. That is one of the biggest reasons I switched to urethane paint. Water base I even had problems with trying to give it a wipe down between coats and have had issues. Urethanes are pretty good at holding up and you can use a water base degreaser and see how your art will look cleared without any problems!

Used to use these a lot when doing watercolor, mostly liquid mask, never seen liquid frisket back in those days but wld have to assume there pretty much the same, perhaps the adhesion property is a bit different, perhaps liquid frisket may be a bit easier to pull of..Dunno..I think it will only pull paint if the paint adhesion isn't really strong (pending on surface) or if its placed on a pretty light coat..If you heatset the prior layer before using it, perhaps it won't remove the paint to easily..The main thing I dont like about it is it can leave a gummy residue behind and if you leave it on a little long well it makes it extremely hard to get off..Haven't used it for many years though so perhaps its a bit better these days..Cosider using bluetak/playdo if ya want to mask hard shapes, its easy to shape, and will come off really easily but will also leave a residue but very little..GL

I did a test area.. At 7:00am I put some liquid masking on a paper and tested different thicknesses of the masking so I know how thick to put it on. @ 5:30pm, I pulled it off and there was a yellow gummy residue behind. The paper retained some of the color of the masking perhaps. The liquid frisket I was looking at, (17 dollars for a little bottle opposed to my bigger 7 dollar bottle) in Michael's had a hot pink at the bottom form sitting & separating. I wonder if they make clear transparent masking liquid. The 3m automotive jug I was looking on on amazon is red. Perhaps the only thing to do is make sure you don't let it sit there too long.

Back