Liquitex satin varnish question

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I've ordered a bottle of liquitex satin varnish to spray a final finish on my pictures.
I am going to set up a spray station in an out building and use a airbrush to put a final finish on the pictures.
I need to know what to spray with to clean the brush after spraying. I know a lot of people use this but I never have used it before and could use a little advise on cleaning. I have a el-cheapo brush that has .02, .03 and .05 needle and nozzle setup I am going to use. Any suggestions on size would help also.
Should I use alcohol, water, iwata airbrush cleaner, etc. etc. ???????
What do you use. ??????

Thanks
Richard

I finish all my paintings with this. I use an Iwata Eclipse in .35, and reduce the varnish with maybe 10 or 15% water prior to spraying. I clean the brush with airbrush cleaner, then water, just like any other acrylic paint I shoot. I pull the needle and wipe, and then clean the brush again. Because the stuff has no color, I find it way too easy to miss some of it in the brush.

I finish all my paintings with this. I use an Iwata Eclipse in .35, and reduce the varnish with maybe 10 or 15% water prior to spraying. I clean the brush with airbrush cleaner, then water, just like any other acrylic paint I shoot. I pull the needle and wipe, and then clean the brush again. Because the stuff has no color, I find it way too easy to miss some of it in the brush.

Thanks Dave. I've heard good remarks about it and I don't like the spray cans stuff. I never could get a good finish with them. I'll use your way tomorrow when it comes. I am going to use either a Ganzton with a .03 or .05 or a Paasche H with a no. 3 or no. 5 nozzle. I have plenty of Paasche VL's and H's that can be used for this.
Is this varnish thin, meduim or thick???
I ordered the 32 ounce bottle and hopefully it will last a while.
Just don't want to have a clogged nozzle if it isn't cleaned real good.

Thanks a bunch

Richard

My only comment would be on the gloss, It's not really meant to be sprayed so it comes out more like a semigloss (I probably put it on much thinner coats than its meant to be)... has a little tooth to it. Though that doesn't really matter for you with the matte. I have a 9 oz bottle that was half empty when I started doing my paintings. 6 of them so far. It's still about half empty and I poured some on the pumpkin king one to make a texture with. Id say 32 will last nearly forever.

It is thin enough to almost spray right out of the bottle - I add just enough water to keep it spraying easily so I don't have to worry about it. I figure if I upped my air pressure it might work fine without the water... you'll just have to see what works best for you at the time of use.

Back