Long Lines: Vertical vs Horizontal

Amra

Needle-chuck Ninja
This might be a no-brainer to some, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

When doing long horizontal lines, I tend to 'lock' my upper body into position and create the line by moving my entire upper body, shifting the weight from one leg to the other. This helps me to create fairly straight lines.

I assume most people do something similar. So, the question is: To create vertical lines, do people rotate the canvas 90 degrees and do a horizontal line with the above method, or is there a similar trick for doing vertical lines?

I've tried 'locking' my upper body and 'squatting', but it can be difficult to keep the tip a consistant distance from the paper with that method.

You can rotatee the canvas, however working from your shoulders is pretty accurate. Creating a straight drop down motion.

What Nada said and if you have to rely on turning the canvas you are going to have to get your muscles developed for anything larger than a canvas... :) Damn, how am I going to turn that wall over...

Use one hand to support the one holding the brush and rest that supporting hand against the canvas. Have the supporting hand do the motion and the airbrush hand dothe trigger control. This way you should have consistent lines up,down sideways as the suporting hand by resting against the cancas makes sure you stay at the same distance.

Nada; thats a good point, keeping your wrists and elbows pretty tight and then rotate mostly your shoulders, that sounds pretty logical (if not a bit obvious, lol). Will have to practice that one.

Mark, Yeah, sometimes theres no choice so its always best to practice all the movements, mostly wanted to know peoples method for making the straightest line possible for vertical lines.

Haasje, excellent tip! I tend to extend my pinky and rest it against the canvas for most lines where I am trying to maintain a constant distance, from the tip, so I am completely with you on that one!

Like most things, it seems that its practice practice practice. Thanks for the replies!

Nada; thats a good point, keeping your wrists and elbows pretty tight and then rotate mostly your shoulders, that sounds pretty logical (if not a bit obvious, lol). Will have to practice that one.

Mark, Yeah, sometimes theres no choice so its always best to practice all the movements, mostly wanted to know peoples method for making the straightest line possible for vertical lines.

Haasje, excellent tip! I tend to extend my pinky and rest it against the canvas for most lines where I am trying to maintain a constant distance, from the tip, so I am completely with you on that one!

Like most things, it seems that its practice practice practice. Thanks for the replies!
Watch a few t shirt guy videos. (I occasionally do some) same excercises larger scale. Its all shoulders and elbows for them guys. Even working pretty small i am working with shoulders and elbows.

Back