For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Looking for advice on a Paintbooth

Discussion in 'Airbrush accessories' started by shipclambake, Oct 4, 2020.

1. shipclambake

shipclambake Young Tutorling

Im ready to buy a paintbooth but some of the ones Im seen are tiny for $100 USD what do you recommend?
    jord001 likes this.
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

If you are painting urethane then you’ll need to set up out in the shed with responsible ventilation and a respirator.
    For water based it’s a bit easier. If you aren’t painting high psi or large items then even better.

the hobby spray booths you often see advertised are designed for painting models/ miniatures and work well for that purpose.
    If you are doing artwork style paintings at low psi (less than 15-20 psi) then a booth is not necessary if you set up some box fans with a filter on the back and have them close to your easel at the height of your artwork and turn them so they’re blowing away from you and pulling air from i front of your artwork. The filter is a fine fabric that we call ‘interfacing’ here in Australia. It’s used for light stiffening of cuffs and collars on garments.
    Herb refers to it as ‘Remay’ - a fabric filtration for agriculture - I’m sure Herb will correct me if I’ve got it wrong
  3. HellBird

HellBird Love this place! Forum Supporter Very Likeable!

I agree with Jackie. If you’re working with water-based paint, a box fan with a 20 by 20 furnace filter and some landscaping fabric does the job. Built a "temporary" hood out of foam core poster board and duct tape to keep things together. When my wreck of a hobby room is back together so I can paint again, I'll snap off a few pictures of my set up.