For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Looking for detail airbrush

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by Joe Pacelli, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Joe Pacelli

Joe Pacelli Young Tutorling

So I started with a Creative Art Airbrush which was part of a kit from Jerry's Artarama. It was the airbrush which included 3 needles, .2 mm, .3mm and .5 mm plus the air compressor.
    I just recently picked up an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS at Hobby Lobby and the wife has been using it mainly for her anime garage kits and loves it.
    I put the .5mm in the creative air this weekend and tried to prime something with it and the air pressure was non-existent. I swapped it to the .2mm and while the pressure was better it didn't cover very good.
    So I switched to the Iwata and it was like night and day the difference. I was able to prime the piece in no time, the coverage was even, and the brush handle so well.
    So now I've given up on this Creative Art airbrush and figured I would get my wife a good detail brush. So I know the Iwata is a great brush and they have the Custom Micron.
    Either the CM-C or CM-C+ which are .23mm or the CM-SB which is .18mm
    But I know my wife uses a lot of supplies from Mr. Hobby, and they make the Creos Air Brush.
    The PS771 GSI Creos Mr. airbrush Custom 0.18mm, and it's 1/2 the cost of the Iwata
    So does anyone have experience with either, or both preferred?
    How is the Creos airbrush brand?
    I also hear parts are easier to get for the Creos vs the Iwata. is this also true?
  2. AlaskaJason

AlaskaJason Young Tutorling

The Mr.Hobby/Creos brand are knock off Iwata designs or knock off Olympus designs depending on how you look at it. They are quality airbrushes and perform well for the money, they are not up to the quality of a Custom Micron though and can be tough to find parts for. If you want a high quality fine detail airbrush then you honestly can't go wrong with a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2 in 1. You get a 0.15 needle/nozzle set and a 0.40 needle/nozzle set. So you are good for fine detail work and general work.

Harder & Steenbeck INFINITY CR 2 in 1 | Spray Gunner
  3. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

The Creos bushes are not "knock-off's" as they are made by the same company that made Olympos brushes, and still makes all of the Iwata brushes - in the same facility(s). While they are relatively new in the States, they have been available in Japan for more than a decade(maybe 2) - although they have undergone a couple of name changes. The company that produces them will make branded brushes for any customer willing to place minimum quantity orders, with the vast majority of parts cross compatible between brand names. The bits that make them each individual, like the nozzle opening, nozzle cap exit bore, and needle taper remain proprietary for each brand name, keeping them distinguishable from one another. The differences between the the needle, nozzle, and nozzle cap between Iwata and Creos are measured in the 0.001" range. Having a good many of the Creos brushes, I can tell you there is absolutely no deficiency in quality to any other Japanese brand in any sort of compatible price range. I should mention here, that I have spent a fair amount of time actually measuring difference (down to the thousands of an inch, or fraction of mm), and testing performance out of them...

With Spraygnner being the only US importer at present, parts can at times be a little hard to find... but, Spraygunner is fantastic on staying on top of such things, so any issues tend to be few and far between. In a pinch, Iwata parts will do the job, as they all fit - but, are more expensive. I know with Covid there has been long delays in getting inventory from Japan, but this has effected more than just Creos, and more than just USA inventories... I understand they are carrying more quantity on spares now. Iwata parts were also out of stock at many retail places for quite some time.

I have several Microns; Iwata's and Olympos varieties. I wind up using the PS770, or it's head pieces more often than any of the others.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    JackEb likes this.
  4. Joe pulvirenti

Joe pulvirenti Double Actioner

Hi there I have a iwata custom micron cmc .23 needle you can not go wrong great for extreme detail and also excellent for general use little more expensive than creĆ²s but you will not regret the price you pay for it happy hunting.
  5. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

6. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin SuperMod Very Likeable!

have to agree with Dave the Creos bushes are just as well made as the Iwata at half the price.
    Check out Spraygunner.com
    JackEb likes this.
  7. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I agree, The Creos bushes are super quality. I have used a ps270 and a ps770 Both super smooth and function superbly.
  8. ArtemRaa

ArtemRaa Double Actioner

We're trying to have all the parts available 100% of the time, but that's not always happening and I don't want to be one of those guys who blames everything on COVID - but honestly, that's the reason we hear from our suppliers/freight forwarders all the time.
    Even if the part you need is "out of stock" on spraygunner.com - feel free to reach out to our Customer Service. We will do our best to keep your airbrush running and it happens that we even pull out parts from the new airbrush in stock to supply our customers.

Thank you guys for your support!
    EJ Hart, 2Diverse, twood and 2 others like this.