Looking for paint advice acrylic on synthetic paper

Alex Kahaner

Young Tutorling
Hi all

Newbie here. I'm looking for advice on which paints to get. I'll be basically painting on synthetic paper for now. I use an infinity AB. I'd like to shoot acrylic. I'm looking for paint with the least dry tip if that's possible. Not sure which brand to get I live in the USA and I don't mind ordering online. I prefer airbrush ready paints if possible but I don't mind thinning. Someone suggested alcohol Inks, I've never used them will they work same way as the acrylics? Any advice is appreciated on the paint brands

Thxs alex

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Createx illustration is made for use on synthetic paper a lot of members on here use it so they will be able to help you out as I hate synthetic paper and I only use Etac paints that cant be used on synthetics

The only AB paint that for the most part does not require reduction is ComArt.
But I have use Wicked, Wicked detail, Createx Illustration , Candy 2o and even AutoAir on synthetic paper with no issues.
As well as Golden high flow and Golden fluid color but all those need reduction to spray smoothly through the airbrush If your going for detail that is. LOL

The only AB paint that for the most part does not require reduction is ComArt.
But I have use Wicked, Wicked detail, Createx Illustration , Candy 2o and even AutoAir on synthetic paper with no issues.
As well as Golden high flow and Golden fluid color but all those need reduction to spray smoothly through the airbrush If your going for detail that is. LOL
Which ones would u say are easiest for begginer? Do u need special thinners or u can use home brew thinners

Which ones would u say are easiest for begginer? Do u need special thinners or u can use home brew thinners

I recommend to use the reducer from what ever paint company you pick.
Mainly it cuts out some of the headaches.
Saying which one is best for a beginner is as hard as say which airbrush is the best

you didn't say what kind of synthetic paper you were considering - can make a difference.

The best paint for use on synthetics is probably Createx Illustration/bloodline - but, they may also be the hardest to work with, with some learning curve involved. For ease of use, I would probably try the com-art colors(depending on paper you are using). They reduce the easiest out of most that i can think of, as they will work ok with just water. The com-art may be the easiest to damage on synthetic paper, though...

you didn't say what kind of synthetic paper you were considering - can make a difference.

The best paint for use on synthetics is probably Createx Illustration/bloodline - but, they may also be the hardest to work with, with some learning curve involved. For ease of use, I would probably try the com-art colors(depending on paper you are using). They reduce the easiest out of most that i can think of, as they will work ok with just water. The com-art may be the easiest to damage on synthetic paper, though...
Thxs Dave what other paper can I paint on for practice with the com art as that's been what I've been leaning on buying can I get thick cardstock paper or what else can u recommend?

why were you planning on synthetic paper ? for practise on non porous surfaces ? if so this video link that will help you out :)

Thxs Dave what other paper can I paint on for practice with the com art as that's been what I've been leaning on buying can I get thick cardstock paper or what else can u recommend?

If you are just starting out, anything you can spray on will work. Different papers will grab the paint differently, so you will have to experiment a bit to see what you feel most comfortable on. I actually started working on t-shirts. Not because I wanted to paint t-shirts, but because I read that the material will grab and hold the paint easier than paper, so it gave me a more forgiving surface to learn on. I have heard of people practicing on paper towels, etc...

It can be a bit tricky bouncing around between different surfaces, because the paint can behave very differently. You can paint fine on card stock, but the surface will be fairly absorbent, so colors will look very dull, and possibly flat, as compared to a glossier, tight pored surface, like a hot pressed watercolor paper.

There are much better surfaces to work on, Gessobord, Claybord, synthetic paper(s), illustration boards, but you will grow into those over time.

Createx illustration is made for use on synthetic paper a lot of members on here use it so they will be able to help you out as I hate synthetic paper and I only use Etac paints that cant be used on synthetics
Ronald is on the money with the Createx illustration line, but Etac EFX range works well too, gets a little bit gummy after a few coats, but I wouldn’t rule it out,
The Blair airbrush paper has never let me down but I wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner ( good for when you want to do something to keep though) yupo or it’s various other names will be the most cost effective. The Blair paper is easier and better in every way except for price :)

Edited by JackEb because MacD can't spell :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to try some terraslate paper (synthetic )will send you some samples to try for free! There 8 1/2x11 and you get 6 sheets I think if i remember right

Back