Looking for storage ideas...

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...43700147.htm?tid=-1778141378299141308&ipos=22

This is what I started out with. Lots of compartments and the bottom flip-out can hold a small compressor, tall bottles of cleaners, etc

I like that one better than the one I was looking at. As it turned out, that one did not have the drawers in the front like I thought it did. I ended up buying what I was originally looking for which was a large 2 level Plano tackle box. I had to save some money to buy my wife a Christmas present. ;)

Paint her one instead. Problem solved! :D

Well, if I had one tenth of the talent I have seen here, I would consider that. I told her that I wish I was good enough to paint up some Christmas cards but I don't expect that to happen this year. Besides, I still have a plane to finish painting.

Well, if I had one tenth of the talent I have seen here, I would consider that. I told her that I wish I was good enough to paint up some Christmas cards but I don't expect that to happen this year. Besides, I still have a plane to finish painting.
there's always next year, you'll better get practising for next xmas - do them the size of 5" x 7" and they'll be good practice for joining in on Paint Pals. and no, there is no restriction on artwork having to be good to enter paint pals.

there's always next year, you'll better get practising for next xmas - do them the size of 5" x 7" and they'll be good practice for joining in on Paint Pals. and no, there is no restriction on artwork having to be good to enter paint pals.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. :thumbsup:

I got one of these recently, and I'm happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A5S3ZM/

Not for my airbrush stuff, but for my general hobby/model building tools. I'd had some iffy past experiences with plastic toolboxes/tackleboxes, so I wanted a good metal one. As close to a "buy it for life" one as I could swing, hopefully (as opposed to just the cheapest). I made an evening of rummaging deep though the reviews on a lot of metal tool boxes on Amazon, and this was the one that ultimately filtered to the top. It's Japanese made instead of Chinese, and lives up to what I've come to expect from Japanese tools.

My previous toolbox was one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTZW56Y/
It had actually worked pretty well for over a decade. Only issue was something in the wood would tarnish the plating on some tools (specifically, anything nickel or zinc). It eventually got ruined when I tried to clean it and refinish it with tung oil. Something in how the wood had been factory treated prevented the tung oil from polymerizing, so it just ended up perma-greasy, and eventually stinky.

That metal toolbox looks plenty sturdy for sure. The problems you had with the wooden box are bizarre. I have never heard of wood causing tarnish, much less not absorbing tung oil. I guess that you tossed that one.

Over the years I have had many hobbies and with each one that needed portable storage, I have used the plastic Plano tackle boxes. One reason being that I can easily cut out the dividers as needed and I use high density foam on the inside in places that is easily cut out to hold delicate items. Generally speaking, they are waterproof which provided an extra level of protection. The model I have used in the past has been replaced with a newer style that does not look to be as roomy so I hunted one down on ebay. I got a pretty good deal on a used one that looked to be like new. It will do for now but I may end up with one like @LadyCharlie said she started out with. But for now the tackle box will do fine once I have it set up like I want it. Here is the one I bought. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANO-TWO-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Yeah, my best guess is the wood was impregnated with some kind of harsh preservative or stabilizer that was to blame. It was a cheap laminated veneer wood, so it wouldn't surprise me if it had something industrial in it. Didn't prevent the tung oil from soaking in, just from "drying" once it did, so there was no way to re-clean it after that.

I was talking to family member about it, and they said they'd had a similar experience trying to restore a bookcase once (i.e. something in the wood preventing tung oil from setting), but I don't know the details.

I know that some woods outgass small amounts of acetic acid that can cause lead or tin rot in situations where airflow is poor. Apparently many a ship model has had its "white metal" parts turned into white powder from being kept in an enclosed wood bottomed/backed display case. Also pre-lead ban gaming minis stored in wooden drawers or boxes, that sort of thing. What would attack zinc or nickel is a mystery to me though, especially since those are usually used specifically as anti-corrosion plating.

Last edited:
I started out with one of these it worked well. Plenty of room in the top for your growing airbrush collection and Paint, erasers/blades etc.
the bottom I used for larger bottles of commonly used paint, If you are using a small airbrush type compressor (small harbor freight/masters tanked one) you could put it in the bottom if you are planning on travelling

View attachment 64516
https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-360-degreed-Professional-Aluminum-Organizer/dp/B00SYD8Z9S/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=beauty case trolley&qid=1606766322&sr=8-2

I've since upgraded to a mechanics trolley (I'll get pics later and post up. )
Hi pal I was looking at one of these are they worth it or not as I'm ready to buy one

Hi pal I was looking at one of these are they worth it or not as I'm ready to buy one
Definitely. Plenty of storage. If you can wait I’ll get some pics with airbrushes and paint for reference. I’m off to bed right now so it will be a few hours :)

Hi Vondy
This will give you a better visual guide.
4 airbrushes easily in a single tray section.
The paints are 2 Oz illustration and 6oz Etac.
DDD2B252-18A8-479C-87D5-3CF447165F58.jpeg

I'm pretty handy at making cabinets. And I have plenty of room for my studio, I use pallets for everything. You just need to know what type of pallets to work with. Some have nasty stuff in them, like pesticides and such. I make just about anything I need, tools I make in my forge shop and an old German multi metal working, milling, lathe, drill press. This piece came across with a Jewish couple that fled an internment camp. It isn't very big, a bit heavy though. He was a jeweler watch maker, his wife was a seamstress sewing Parachutes for the SS. They taught me how to do much more with this than I could have learned in school. I'm an an honorary President of my local ADD club!! I feel blessed to have known such wonderful people. They couldn't have children of their own, but maybe that is why I came into their lives! They spoke English, German, and Russian. I only noticed that I was speaking the same languages in a moment of clarity. Which slowly changed after they passed. Hecum, could fix anything! Margrin,always tried to fatten me up.I was just a skinny kid. But not anymore!! I was taught Not to hurry anything that I was making. Except for money .

20211214_152833.jpg 20211214_152640.jpg I use a metal Tactix, parts holder with plastic boxes and lids inside the metal exterior . From Bunnings here in Australia There is a good mix of double height, single height boxes the single height 4 wide are a great size for airbrushes

Last edited:
They go for about $41 AUD I picked up 4 of them for $10 each on special and have been waiting for it to happen again

Last edited:
oh wow, haven't seen this thread in awhile...

well I FINALLY got all my gear inside and I didn't realise how much stuff I had accumulated so I went on the hunt for shelves, then I found these workshop trolleys (from paramount browns for any Australians ) that were 'scratch & dent'
They actually came fully boxed/strapped - no scratches, no dents. one or two of the drawers don't stay shut properly, there's probably a way to fix that but I haven't checked yet.
I'm in a rental so that's why the plastic is on the walls, /ceiling, I really don't feel like repainting when I leave so I have a 'tent in a room' . :)
you can see my previous beauty case trolley on the right.
This was as I was in the process of filling all the drawers,
I've put magnetic labels on them for now just so I'm not opening all the drawers to find something :)
my desk/easel is at the bottom right of the photo, yes complete with coffee :)
Its so nice to have it all tidy and close at hand instead of stacks of tubs.
no exactly portable as the original poster was seeking, but its on wheels so it can be moved if needed lollollol

upload_2022-4-20_8-1-34.png

Back