Loosing interest fast....

K

KingQuarter

Hey guys I'm not too sure what it is but I have a neo iwata gravity fed and I can't get it spraying right....no matter what I do and every time I get excited and something prepped up I can't get good lines or anything. I'm not sure if it's my brush or me but here is what it's doing.

pa4a6u4y.jpg

7aneta7e.jpg

And because of that I can't seem to freehand and it reuins projects like this...

9urubuja.jpg

And I'm having issues....my only piece I have finished was on wood so the paint was bleeding into the wood so I'm not even gonna clear coat it but here.

ymypy8ag.jpg

The lines on it are really thick because I had to keep going over them because of splattering so I eventually just had to stencil it.... Any help would be gravely appreciated.

Aspiring to get better.

Okay well I tried 20psi that was no good so I moved to 40 and it was a little better so I went to 50-60 and way to much so I spray at around 40psi, I use creator paint and to be honest I just add in 50% wicked reducer and 50% paint.

Aspiring to get better.

And fro how long have you been trying? It's not an overnight success story. Just last night prepping for the next job I wondered if it was worth it. Then looked at an earlier picture and told myself I want this one to be better. So I will keep going. The only thing between you and success is you. Don't blame the equipment.

Yea I even said I'm not to sure if it was my brush or me. But I don't know why the splatter is happening.

Aspiring to get better.

Spattering means paint is too thick for the current pressure. Either up the pressure or thin the paint.

Just for interest sake, I never run above 2 bar (29psi) on my regulator on the compressor. That means with the pressure drop to just below my airbrush I might be at around 1.5bar (21.75psi). And even lower pressure I have not found spattering. But my paint that I buy is pre thinned. I have used basecoat though, thinned 1;1 and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okay let us back up and regroup ,
We know the airbrush is a Iwata Neo.
What paint brand are you using? Standard Createx , Wicked, Spectra-tex ?
We know what air pressure you have tried it at.
What are you using for reducer? Water , W100 , W500 or a home brew?
For any newbie out there start out at 40PSI , You do not have enough brush time to anything under that is you are just starting.
It take learning the paint you have choose and the airbrush you have first. Once you know how to reduce the paint(If needed) first so you can pull lines at 40 PSI then you can start over reduceing and dropping pressure.
Also not know where you are from it is hard to suggest a possible easier paint to learn with.

Easily fixed....Don't use Createx if that's what your using :) It has a habit of doing that with nearly every post or person I've ever seen saying they have issues and are using that particular brand..I'll state it straight out, it is the worst airbrush paint available and I don't care if they come and hunt me down LOL, I know some may disagree with me on that comment, but really I have seen soooo many posts over the years with people having major issues and then they mention createx, they try a different brand like Etac, Spectra tex (And many others) and start jumping for joy at how well it sprays and all their problems disappear, well not disappear entirely but it allows them to focus on actually learning how to paint rather than fighting it all the time...unless of course you want to do some T-Shirts, then its kinda OK..BTW Is the wicked reducer designed to go with createx? Could it be breaking down the binder? I did once recommend a student buy some as it was in their price range...last time I'll do that as I had the opportunity to try it out myself and after quite a few years of painting, I struggled to even stop the overspray it seems to create..

Really though its so often that many issues we see on forums and such really come down to using something that can be changed easily and will really change how you see the hobby, whether it be a gun or perhaps the paint, it really does help to experiment with a few brands in the early days rather than getting to that point of frustration in the first place as we learn so much easier when things are working the way they are supposed to..good luck and hope you sort it out...

Yes reduction is the key. When you say 50%reducer and 50%paint that tells me that when you put 5 drops of paint you then put 5 drops of reducer. I always do 1:2 1 drop paint to 2 drops of reducer. Then i start to play around with the pressure.

Get yourself some Comart transparent smoke. I am a newbie, I shoot this paint out of a neo at 20-25 psi right out of the bottle and can pull very fine lines with it. There is however no short cuts. You have to do the time. dots daggers and lines. over and over. It develops muscle memory in your hand and teaches you how to control the trigger with fine resolution. Draw palm trees, grass whatever. Get control before you start any real projects or you will just end up frustrated and quit. I did over a year ago for the same reasons you list. This year I decided to give it a go again and spent the time practicing the basics and its paid off...

As RebelAir said, regular Createx paint is really difficult to work with and no matter how reduced it always causes some splattering. Make sure that you're air cap is clean and properly attached, sometimes a clogged nozzle may cause some splattering as well, you need to use a nozzle reamer every time you clean you're brush, just flushing it with cleaner wont help.

okay let us back up and regroup ,
We know the airbrush is a Iwata Neo.
What paint brand are you using? Standard Createx , Wicked, Spectra-tex ?
We know what air pressure you have tried it at.
What are you using for reducer? Water , W100 , W500 or a home brew?
For any newbie out there start out at 40PSI , You do not have enough brush time to anything under that is you are just starting.
It take learning the paint you have choose and the airbrush you have first. Once you know how to reduce the paint(If needed) first so you can pull lines at 40 PSI then you can start over reduceing and dropping pressure.
Also not know where you are from it is hard to suggest a possible easier paint to learn with.

Wow thanks everyone for the long posts. And quick replies.

Standard creator is the paint I'm upswing because the only other paint sold locally is auto air and I'm not sure if it costs more but I could definitely try it if it's really better.

And the reducer is wicked

I'm from Spokane. WA, we have tons of auto air, creatix, a little bit of hok but if anyone else has good ideas for a new paint I can try to locate it.

And believe me, I don't expect to be a prodigy overnight but it's just so strange that my neo just won't spray consistent it's sprays fine one second and with the same trigger pull will just start randomly splattering. I was considering selling my neo and getting an eclipse or a different gun? I have heard news can have allot of issues.

Aspiring to get better.

Wow thanks everyone for the long posts. And quick replies.

Standard creator is the paint I'm upswing because the only other paint sold locally is auto air and I'm not sure if it costs more but I could definitely try it if it's really better.

And the reducer is wicked

I'm from Spokane. WA, we have tons of auto air, creatix, a little bit of hok but if anyone else has good ideas for a new paint I can try to locate it.

And believe me, I don't expect to be a prodigy overnight but it's just so strange that my neo just won't spray consistent it's sprays fine one second and with the same trigger pull will just start randomly splattering. I was considering selling my neo and getting an eclipse or a different gun? I have heard news can have allot of issues.

Aspiring to get better.

Autoair is way better then Createx , When you are learning no matter what airbrush you have you will get times it does not shoot well.
I also recommend getting some Airbrush Restorer (made by Createx) to soak only the nozzle in . It will break up the dried paint that hides in the nozzle

Also you have a hobby lobby you can get Comart which pretty much you can shoot straight out the bottle through you Neo.

But just keep with it you will get it figured out. I did:D

There should be a sticky saying that if you are not painting T-Shirts and running 50 to 60 PSI, do not use standard Createx....

There should be a sticky saying that if you are not painting T-Shirts and running 50 to 60 PSI, do not use standard Createx....

Problem with that is in some places that is all they can get with out having to order on line.

Com-Art is probably easiest for beginners to use; it can be used straight out of the bottle without diluting or by using the Com-Art reducer (reducer : paint = 1 : 1).

Cleaning the airbrush is also very important. Personally I spray water then thinner and then water again after each color change or when I stop airbrushing. Also - very important - turn air pressure down until air just comes out and pull back and press the trigger all the way - then tap the index finger of the hand not holding the airbrush against the tip. Turn up air pressure when doing this, but not too high or you may end up with air bubbles in your circulation - which is NOT good.

Water or thinner will now bubble in the paint cup. If you regularly tap, it will send tiny shockwaves through the fluid and particularly when there is thinner in the cup paint residues will be solved and pushed back in the paint cup. When you see shards of paint in the paint cup in the bubbling fluid, don't spray again but throw it away by turning the airbrush upside down above a cup or something else to catch the fluid. Make sure the shards of paint do not stick to the inside wall of the paint cup before sraying to clean again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yep, as I suggested... Comart paint. Order some and you wont be sorry. Its the best paint a beginner can use....

Back