For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Lucio's Gargoyle

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Lucio, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

Hi guys! This is my attempt at the gargoyle. Unlike the others I didn't like doing it, except the wings. I felt frustrated because I didn't find a good feeling with the e'tac paynes gray, even though I used it directly without reduction I did a lot of spiders while trying to make the thinner lines ... It was a constant wipe and rebuilding the texture... it wasn't fun at all.
    so schematically I used:
    1. schoellershammer # 4
    2. iwata eclipse hp-cs
    3. e'tac paynes gray
    4. a lot of things to get textures/ erasing

I didn't work in the background because I'd like to go to some beauties instead :laugh:

let me know what you think

bye guys!!!
    IMG_20190403_175337.jpg
    Zotilraxx, musicmacd, Ttxela and 6 others like this.
  2. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Ok...That is the reference, where is the painting?...lol
    Great job. Lots of texture
    huskystafford and Lucio like this.
  3. crazyvet

crazyvet Mac-Valve Maestro!

It looks really good
    Lucio likes this.
  4. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

if etac efx spiders on you lower your pressure, I use about 20 to 25 psi when I use the HP SB+ with a 0.2 nozzle and I am working on my SBS Gargoyle with etac efx paynes grey straight from the bottle
    and I think you did a great job on your Gargoyle version
    Lucio likes this.
  5. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Staff Member Mod Very Likeable!

Great work Lucio. It’s a shame you struggled with it as the end result looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lucio likes this.
  6. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin

Good work indeed... maybe try it again with a different paint or substrate! Should be easier. End result looks cool.
    Lucio likes this.
  7. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

lol, why are we always so critical of our own work !? maybe because we know in our head how we want it to look and work so hard to get that image onto paper :)

For all of your 'problems' Lucio, you have managed a great result !
    Franc Kaiser and Lucio like this.
  8. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Came out great!
    Lucio likes this.
  9. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

hahah :D really thank you mr Twood!
  10. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

Thank you Ronald! I use the same psi + mac valve but I if I go too low the paint comes out with a delay or dotted, that's why I asked in Beanpoleuk's thread how to get efx thicker...It's a shame because I prefer e'tac over createx, because I never had tip dry (obviously).
    once you said to me : Etac reduce base is the product you are looking for it will make you paint more transparent but it wont make it that much thinner
    I searched for it but the most similar one that I found it's the equivalent for the Private Stock, I should admit that I don't understand the real difference with the efx ( smaller pigments maybe?)...

Perhaps I should try some different substrates also, as markjthomson said...it should be more absorbant maybe, but I really don't know how to find it, so it would be more likely that I'll move to another brand for the paint, I am thinking about Schmincke
  11. Ronald art

let me explain the difference between EFX and Private stock : EFX is for fine art and it can be erased you make it more transparent with "reduce air" dont let the name fool you this is the transparent paint with out pigment and wont thin your paint down (on a side note I know Etac has changed the formula of the reduce air a bit and it seems my newest batch does thin it the paint down a bit but not much)
    Private stock is made for use on T shirts but it can also be used on metal and even if there is a small window in which it can be erased it is not made to be erased and if you heat set it it will be waterproof this paint can be made more transparent with the "extend air"
    private stock paint needs to be heat set between every layer to avoid water build up between the layers !
    Now to make it "complicated" both efx and private stock can be mixed and you can use the reduce air with private stock and extend air with EFX but there is a catch : extend air will change the efx and make it less erasable ! use reduce air with private stock and it will get a bigger window in which you can erase it but it wont act like efx

you can use efx over private stock without a problem but you cant use private stock over efx !

If I use efx I only use a nozzle size up to 0.2 but if I use private stock I use a nozzle size over 0.3 and a bit more pressure but that is because I only use private stock for large coverage on bike parts
    Lucio likes this.
  12. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

I'm seriously thinking, as a psychologist, I believe there are several factors that contribute to this process:

• our eyes remain too long on a specific part of painting / drawing and elect that part as the most important
    • let us look at the left hemisphere of the brain which does not have the domain of "how it is" but only the "what it is"
    • we have a narcissistic trait in our personality (it means that you lose confidence in yourself / esteem much more than you could build it, so any (inevitable) error has an unreasonable weight compared to what we think would be good)

well I have them all, so I need to look at my works with lots of tricks, like looking through a mirror or a camera, turning down the light source, flipping the canvas ... and things like that ... but the the best way, in my opinion and in a case like mine, is to put the hidden work from our eyes to forget it

So aerography would become a therapy for me :)

that gargoyle has been taken out of the trash because I don't like it but my girlfriend made me post it and now I am happy

thank you a lot for your feedback!!!
    JackEb, SiRoxx and Franc Kaiser like this.
  13. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

perfect explanation, thank you Ronald!
    too bad I can't find any good reseller here in Italy... they only sell Private Stock stuff!
    what do you think about Schmincke paints?
  14. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

SiRoxx likes this.
  15. Ronald art

it is a shame you cant find a good retailer in Italy , and I have never used Schminke paints , I do hear good things about it
  16. Lucio

Lucio Double Actioner

not only there's a poor supply but I suspect that the products they sell are outdated because I find so much different behaviours with the same brand and color...
    I'll you know about Schmincke!
  17. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Glad to hear that your girlfriend had a good eye and salvaged your work!

I think we all here in this forum suffering from those syndromes. We're really all too modest about ourselves as we're often comparing with digital paintings, 3D renderings and similar "art" work. My own judgement gets clouded every time and anytime during the painting process (if i am not distracted by a clogged or malfunctioning airbrush, that is).

What keeps me going, though is the simple fact that anybody could say that the painting is sub-par or looks like $hit, but fact remains it was not that person who painted it (and most of those people never paint), but it was me who actually did it. It's a bit like when people look at abstract art and disparagingly note that "anybody could paint this" - the right answer is "no, not anybody could paint it. You didn't, but the painter - as a matter of fact - did. Hence, the accomplishment is all his." These kind of thoughts keep me going during the dark nights when spraying in solitude :). And yes, taking a photo of the painting with the phone and flipping it (reversing the sides) does wonder to see it with "new" eyes.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  18. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Looks wicked mate
    Lucio likes this.