Manifold...yes or no?

I really don't get it. With cs you get one brush, with sbs you can get 10 brushes, if you buy 10 rich pen cups each one for 20 buck... I am so puzzled with this it is unbelievable. :whistling:

I really don't get it. With cs you get one brush, with sbs you can get 10 brushes, if you buy 10 rich pen cups each one for 20 buck... I am so puzzled with this it is unbelievable. :whistling:
some don't like that it is in their line of site when painting, they can't see the tip, my cup is on the other side so I'm not encumbered at all

some don't like that it is in their line of site when painting, they can't see the tip, my cup is on the other side so I'm not encumbered at all
I put my cup on right side. It can't get in the way, cause you decide where the cup will be. You can also use other cups as well.

for 15 pounds...
https://elementgames.co.uk/hobby-an...-items/iwata/plastic-cup-conversion-for-sbsbs

edit: I can see this conversion can't be bought on that link, but I seen them around, so I think it can be bought.

I usually work with maybe 3 or 4 brushes on a project - 1 quick connect per brush (I have QC's on every working brush in my collection), one hose, one regulator at my desk, one on the compressor. I do use a MAC valve on the brush end of the QC. Compressor reg is usually set between 45 an 60psi - the one at my desk usually between 30 and 40. After hooking up a digital gauge to my air hose I figured out that with where I normally have my MAC valve set, I work at around 15 to 25PSI, most of the time. I have the brush I am using on the hose, with a holder right at the corner of my desk. I have a few other holders attached to a side table I use, where the brushes I am not actively using are parked - they may be loaded with paint, or not.

I have no idea why people make such a big deal about changing colors - it takes only a few seconds to flush a cup, fill, and be on my way. Gives me time to think about what I plan on doing next... if you are working in a high production environment, I get needing to keep things moving, but really? not enough time to slip one brush off a QC and clip another in - in a home studio?

When using side feed cups, i make more of a mess of myself, and my work space taking them on and off a brush, as they WILL eventually drip where you don't want them to. When I do choose to use a side feed brush, I rinse the cup between colors the same way I would do using a gravity feed - it usually does not come off the brush until the end of the session, when I may clean it better before leaving for the night.

Charlie - did not know you picked up a T2. I have really been enjoying mine.

Is this practical and does it work flawlessly? I have quick connects but I'd like to add a multi port manifold to my compressor. All advice is greatly appreciated!View attachment 64583
I have a two way, and it is great. Looks almost the same as that one. I say go for it. Use teflon tape on the threads and it should be leak and trouble free.

Sent from my SM-N981W using Tapatalk

I don't like long or bulky valve stems, so I avoid things like quick connects and MAC valves and grip filters. I have a two-hose manifold so I can have an Iwata and a Badger hose side-by-side instead of using even an adapter fitting.

It's not actually necessary. It would cost me only a few seconds to swap hoses in addition to brushes. But it doesn't hurt anything either: work perfectly fine.

I do the same thing as GregStith! I use a regular coiled pneumatic tool hose instead of a copper coil, but same function: it acts as a pre-filter condenser. Works fantastically! Since my coil hose is clear, I can actually see all the water it's pulling from the air during operation.

I like side feed brushes because they typically have a shorter front end than their gravity or siphon equivalents. Makes fine freehand control a little more easy & intuitive. My favorite brush for painting small figures is my side-feed SOTAR in part for this reason. My micron SB sprays best, and my HP-CS is the most hassle-free, but between the nozzle cap shape and the ultra-short front, the SF-SOTAR is the most dexterous when dealing with the tightly spaced physical shapes on figures.

I've never understood the line-of-sight thing people often cite in favor of side feed, as I'm never sighting long the top of the airbrush, and can't picture that as natural position. Even with my HP-CS, my vision is never obscured, as I'm always looking at the tip from a downward offset angle anyway. I've also never understood the asymmetric balance thing people cite as a con of side-feed, as once an air line is hooked up, that dominates the balance feel, completely overriding the weight of the cup. Even with the super lightweight hoses I favor, the weight of a loaded side cup is almost undetectable once I've got the hose acting as a "keel" in my hand.

When I got my first side feed, I got some extra cups thinking it would make color switching and flushing simpler, but with time, my experience agrees with DaveG's. Switching cups actually makes the process much more complicated and messy. Best to keep a single cup on for the session, and flush and switch colors the same way you would with a gravity cup.

Last edited:
Back