many questions.....

M

mrsuthern

Ok...night two of learning.... is turning into a bit of arggggghhhhhh!!!! lol

Chatting with flycatchr and proppa earlier this afternoon they let me know that one of the things I was experiencing was tip dry. How the heck do I lessen how much that happens?

Tonight's dots did not go well at all. I am assuming there was still some paint in there somewhere that was causing my problem and I took the cleaning a bit further just to take the needle out and wipe it. Yes...back to front, I don't like getting stabbed. Got it all back together and it was better but went right back to being where I had to go full trigger just to get a fogging. Sooooo..... take it apart again and re-clean. This time I remember reading a thread here today talking about the needle juice stuff and another member had mentioned an alternative. I tried it and that helped some.

Next step I tried before calling it a night is to up the air pressure. Which I don't know what the final result would have been with that because after emptying the cup I told myself to walk away (I get stubborn) before bad emotions happen.

Soooo.... 1st... the needle juice. How often should you need to use it?
Second... Full tilt Spectratex.... whats a good guesstimate of pressure do y'all think I should start with . I started at 20-ish psi. By nights end I bumped it up to 35. I am still learning so... meh... throw at me some advise

I would really love to get an idea... I know nothing can be exacting but something to get the trigger and paint at least consistent in action to where I can correct the user error and know it is absolute.

Good note... I am getting better at not turning air off when I let paint off .... so there's my progress for the night lol!

Oh and for those that are gonna ask .... Velocity with the Spectratex Primary color ... mostly using the Opaque Jet Black. And no...no pictures survived in the making of these problems lol.

Many of these questions have already been answered in the forum.
Make yourself a coffee or pop a beer and have a little browse through.
I’m sure you’ll find what you need. If you don’t, give another shout.
:) :) :)

Practice makes perfect. Don’t’ give up, don’t get discouraged!! If you pay attention as you are, you’ll find you will get better with every painting :) keep at it. Try old and new techniques, made them your own. Don’t be hard on yourself. Let it flow. Take regular breaks. Stretch too.
:)

I also have Velocity and have used spectratek so......I have questions for you..lol 1) what nozzle the .2 or .3? it makes a difference not a great deal but some. 2) are you using it straight from bottle or reducing? if so how much? I reduced it at 5:1 and used aprox. 7psi. The .2 nozzle = ultra fine .3 = fine, with the .3 you can use a bit more air and or less reduction.

I also have Velocity and have used spectratek so......I have questions for you..lol 1) what nozzle the .2 or .3? it makes a difference not a great deal but some. 2) are you using it straight from bottle or reducing? if so how much? I reduced it at 5:1 and used aprox. 7psi. The .2 nozzle = ultra fine .3 = fine, with the .3 you can use a bit more air and or less reduction.

You know.... thats a dang'd good question. I bought it from a forum member and didn't think to ask. I was too excited I was getting a new toy. How can I tell?

I think the needles have notches in the back. It should be the .21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless it was replaced the Velocity comes with the .21 ultra fine

It was not long ago that I first started airbrushing and I remember how I did not know what tip dry was and how bothered by it I was. Now it is just part of the process, like reloading paint onto a brush, sharpening a pencil, and the many other little things that we do when we are creating art.

What I like to do is to use the time, I spend doing the little things, to take a deep breath and stay relaxed. It seems like that helps me to stay involved in the process better.

Just as a side note, I am still very much a beginner, and have done many pages of dots, lines and dagger strokes. (I have yet to have the control I desire but have made good progress).

Almost everyday my children ask me how I draw (not with the airbrush but, with other mediums) such a great x. I tell them "any thing that is really cool to do, takes a lot of practice". I then remind them about how many of x have they seen me draw. (Why they do not constantly ask me about how well I play my guitar, is a bit of a mystery because, I am a hell of a lot better at that then any other thing I do on earth). One of the most important things I have learned, by becoming a decent musician, is that the journey is the super fun part.

Ok so ...searching and reading on needle juice in the forums, I am a bit confused. One post has it as being a way to condition the inside of the brush to give the needle smooth action and others imply that it may also help keep paint from sticking to the needle thusly help minimize tip dry.... Watching...again... the video with Ken from badger he dipped the whole needle into the needle juice. So... my conclusion...dip it like like Ken and hope that it's part of a whole solution.

Tomorrow I will keep the pressure at 35 to see if that helps, if not then I guess drop by drop I will try to add water to reduce the paint a little, without changing pressure. And if I remember to stop by a store and see if I can find some glycerin as apparantly adding a drop or two to the paint will also help stave off tip dry.

Did I read those correctly?

It was not long ago that I first started airbrushing and I remember how I did not know what tip dry was and how bothered by it I was. Now it is just part of the process, like reloading paint onto a brush, sharpening a pencil, and the many other little things that we do when we are creating art.

What I like to do is to use the time, I spend doing the little things, to take a deep breath and stay relaxed. It seems like that helps me to stay involved in the process better.

Just as a side note, I am still very much a beginner, and have done many pages of dots, lines and dagger strokes. (I have yet to have the control I desire but have made good progress).

Almost everyday my children ask me how I draw (not with the airbrush but, with other mediums) such a great x. I tell them "any thing that is really cool to do, takes a lot of practice". I then remind them about how many of x have they seen me draw. (Why they do not constantly ask me about how well I play my guitar, is a bit of a mystery because, I am a hell of a lot better at that then any other thing I do on earth). One of the most important things I have learned, by becoming a decent musician, is that the journey is the super fun part.

I hear ya st.bede, I been playing for 30ish years, played in several bands and even got to see a band we clubbed with get a record deal and now doing sweet. (Halestorm) from York county.But with age and body breaking down my chops aren't as fluent. I playA schector C-1 Clascic in drop D through a Marshal stack.

Ok so ...searching and reading on needle juice in the forums, I am a bit confused. One post has it as being a way to condition the inside of the brush to give the needle smooth action and others imply that it may also help keep paint from sticking to the needle thusly help minimize tip dry.... Watching...again... the video with Ken from badger he dipped the whole needle into the needle juice. So... my conclusion...dip it like like Ken and hope that it's part of a whole solution.

Tomorrow I will keep the pressure at 35 to see if that helps, if not then I guess drop by drop I will try to add water to reduce the paint a little, without changing pressure. And if I remember to stop by a store and see if I can find some glycerin as apparantly adding a drop or two to the paint will also help stave off tip dry.

Did I read those correctly?
For me the only time I use needle juice/regdab is when I clean my brush clean it out well and then juice the needle and put it back in. I do not feel at least for me that lubing the needle helps with tip dry at all. Unfortunately you have paint (SpectraTex) that causes quite a bit of tip dry. I have some paint reduced 20:1 and I still get tip dry. You definitely have to play with pressure and reduction, however depending on what you are doing is how I determine about where my pressure needs to be. T-Shirts I use Spectratex straight and run 40 PSI or more, but any detail stuff I reduce and drop the pressure, I was using my reduced 20:1 the other day shooting at about 5 PSI. Certain paint seems to give more tip dry than others. You just have to be able to recognize the signs and symptoms of when it is occurring and catch it. Seamonkey posted a video on you tube showing what and how he addresses the tip dry issue. It is worth taking a look at. Hope this helps....
Airbrush Newbie Tips - YouTube

Thanks for that video link....and to seamonkey..... guess its just gonna be a slog lol. Oh well gives me something to do in the evening.

Will try the glycerin in the paint to see if that helps.

The tip dry is a bear to get off since the cap I have is the "horned" type. Will try the tooth brush idea.

Don't use to much glycerin I have heard it will make your paint not dry...if you use to much.

Back