For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Marissa Oosterlee...Dru Blair...Alina Tarasenko...

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Aerografing, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Aerografing

Aerografing Gravity Guru

@Marissa, are you Oosterlee?

I can understand your position, but if you want, you can also give your opinion ... I would like to know it.

Thanks
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Yes that is Marissa Oosterlee.
    And I was thinking the same thing LOL
  3. airartiste

airartiste Spider Splatterer

My goal was to pass along the differences and similarities I have observed, since I have some familiarity with all three names mentioned.

I wouldn't claim that one approach is better than the other. Sure, when you employ different techniques, the outcomes are going to be different, but it all depends on the intended goal of the artist, which can vary from person to person.
    basepaint, SiRoxx and MarcosD like this.
  4. airartiste

I met with Alina several times during my first visit to her school in Saint Petersburg in 2016, and she was very clear about her choice not to use auxiliary tools. According to her, if an artist truly masters the airbrush, they should not require auxiliary tools.

I was already aware that, at some point, she has used the eraser. Perhaps the video of her using the eraser is from another time. It's possible she used the eraser in the past and has since stopped using it, or she has recently introduced it into her work.
  5. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Sure, I’ll try to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aerografing likes this.
  6. MarcosD

MarcosD Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Everyone that aim for realism will use erasing, the thing is how much their technics depend in the use of them. At least that is what i saw

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  7. airartiste

Hey Marissa! I'm glad you are here.

If the question was intended solely for a comparison of our respective styles, then I must agree that it was not for me to answer.

However, the post mentioned videos, which seems more like they are asking about differences in technique and approach, rather than stylistic differences (which are already observable to everyone).

If it's about technique, then its educational for us to discuss differences and similarities in each other's methods as we see them. I responded because I have some (although not complete) familiarity with the techniques of all three artists mentioned. I tried to be as accurate as possible in my observations, but if you found innaccuracies or ommisions, I apologize. Please correct them.

I hope to see you and Carlo again soon. ☺️
  8. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I just try to come even close or at least fail at becoming an artist as good as any of you three....It was your videos and also other airbrushers that inspired me enough to try....
    I think I will just put all three together and develop a style, which is what you teach....Thanx for everything....
    MarcosD and airartiste like this.
  9. Big John 1945

Big John 1945 Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Marissa, why would you feel awkward? Did you fell offended by Dru's response? I feel that Dru was very gracious and complimentary explaining the differences between you three great artists. A person asked a question to the forum and who would be better qualified to answer than one of the artists? Merry Christmas.
    Aerografing likes this.
  10. Aerografing

Aerografing Gravity Guru

The video is from May 2017; What I do not know is if the woman who goes out talking is Alina's partner ... or Alina works in one way, and this woman in another. Know something?
  11. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

The translation of her introducing in the beginning of the video (linked above):
    "Hello to everyone! My name is Alexandra Sapelnikova. I'm an artist, teacher of airbrushing teaching center "Art Technika". In the next four days under my supervision any participant will create photorealistic female portrait using an airbrush technique."

Dru, from what I see from the pictures that are taken during your classes and from results your students show, I could say I like the way you explain the colour theory. I hope sometime I'll hear that in real time. I wanted to ask this question in future, but you've mentioned the colour theory, so I'd ask a question concerning it now.
    I remember a newsletter from you in which there was an article about colourmatching. It remembered me Fletcher's way of doing it. Do you use his method?
  12. Aerografing

Aerografing Gravity Guru

@Vladimir, thank you!

So...it can be deduced that Alina uses eraser ... blades today, is it true?
  13. airartiste

I wasn't aware of Fletcher until about a month ago. If I recall, he was interested in color relationships and harmony, and used a heptagon placed inside the color wheel connecting pure hues together.

Most of the images in my newsletter were demonstrating the path that two hues travel when mixed together. The color system was my attempt to find a reliable way to predict how pigment behaves, especially with the airbrush, and also to solve the problem of blue shift back in the eighties. I had tried Munsell's system, which was great in theory, but not in practice.

Back then, airbrush knowledge was not available like it is today. For example, nowadays correcting blueshift is commonly known, but not at all when I started. Most of us airbrushers were working late hours in the studio simply trying to figure out how to make things work. For me, not much has changed. I'm still working late nights in the studio trying to figure things out.
  14. Mr.Micron

I thought trying to figure out things was the fun part of airbrushing LOL . I am always trying to figure things out from color to how to get a texture to look right. But without a challenge you would gain nothing right :D
  15. airartiste

Knowing how Alina feels about auxiliary tools, I think it's safe to say that this is one of her school instructors (Alexandra Sapelnikova) in the video. Alina seemed so passionate about pure freehand airbrush, that I cannot imagine her defecting to the "dark side."

Her school is one of 5 independent airbrush schools in St Petersburg, and there are 10 in Moscow, each with very talented young artists in attendance.
  16. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

This is a great Thread, and yes I too would like to see all three artist give there Perspectives on what they do as artist.so thank you Dru @airartiste and @Marissa I've learned a lot from people on the forum and hope to one day take some Class's from both of you as Ive seen how much you both put into your class's
    airartiste likes this.
  17. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I'm not sure if it can be deducted:) What I can see from the video that eraser's used as is blade in the Alina's studio. Whether she still doesn't use erasers etc, I can't say.
    What I can say, that using additional tools makes definitely better results than using white pencil (I can see the use of it in other videos).

Smth like that.

Your pictures reminded me Flether's ways to predict the pigment behavior, though Fletcher did that not considering the airbrush. Still pigments are the same the only difference they're more finely grinded for airbrush paints.
    Definitely, they don't experience blue shift using thick layers of the oil paints. Airbrushers had to beat the colourshift themselves, I must admit, your succeeded greatly.

Yes, I've read those books from 80s-90s. Not much information there, especially for realism. On this forum there are tons of useful information, that can not be found in any book concerning airbrushing.
    I'm glad, there are people that figuring out the things and bring them to other needing to know that knowledge:)
    airartiste likes this.
  18. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

I’ll second that Mr.Micron. Also, I’m thankful that there are many different styles and approaches that can be used to achieve the incredible works of art that the Airbrush community as a whole produces. To me part of the beauty is that there is rarely “a right way” to do something. You could have 3 different artists use the same reference and have 3 different but incredible pieces produced. If erasing with tools works for the individual, great... do that. If less erasing and more masking or shielding works for another... Do that. Colour buffering... Do that.
    As a beginner I find that encouraging, and the fact that the community also has Masters of the art willing pass on their methods and knowledge... Well that’s a cherry on top of a pretty awesome sundae.
    Just the opinion of a humble Noob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    airartiste, JackEb and Aerografing like this.
  19. jagardn

jagardn Airbrush Acquisition Disorder Patient Elite Member!

Come on Dru...you would look stunning in a C-Cup.
    JackEb, airartiste and basepaint like this.
  20. Mr.Micron

Do my old eyes see a long lost friend ??? Long time to see buddy.