Masking options

J

JiroPaints

Hi all.

After months of sorting out my first AB set up (using acrylics on large boards and canvases) I've finally started painting, and I love it!

I've been using masking fluid currently to mask off large hand painted shapes, while I like the affect it's only about 95% effective (some small dots of colour and rough edges). Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a more accurate result with this type of product OR if anyone knows of another product that might work better?

Another issue I'm having with the masking fluid is that paint just runs off it into unmasked areas. Tips to avoid this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, J

If ever I need to mask for one off use I just use paper. Works really well as long as its not saturated. I usually cut or punch small holes towards the edge and stick a piece of masking tape over to secure it. May people use a metal easel so they can keep things in place with magnets, which is great as no chance of anything sticky causing damage.

Fbs tape works very well, I prefer using k-utg unless there are very tight curves then I use their fineline tape. Price isn't to bad either compared to other masking options.

yes have used paper and masking tape for straight edges, my issue is with curved or hand drawn shapes which I would like to do a lot of.
K-utg tape looks interesting although wonder if I'd have the same issue with paint running off it onto unmasked areas? my paintings are huge/mural sized so cant lay them flat which would be so much easier!

I used the fine line tape to hit the curved edges, then masking tape on top, cutting off the masking with a scaple over the fine line tape. That way I can't cut into the medium I'm painting on

I also like using Automotive Masking Tape. I can tape off large areas, draw my picture, and cut it out. I can save the cut pieces and put them back. The adhesion is good but not so strong that it peals the paint away. I can draw on it with pencil.

You can use paper for hand drawn stuff and curves too, just trace it, transfer to paper and cut with a sharp blade.

I've always found masking fluid a bit hit and miss. As suggested go for fine line tape for the really which you can 'curve', then overlap with wider tape or paper to cover the rest of the work.

For fine dots, either free hand or use a mask, (buy a cheap 'leather' punch and make your own masks).

The couple times I've used liquid mask, it seems to have bonded with the paper. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watercolor and acrylic paper mostly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the FBS K-UTG tape and love it. It's never let paint creep but if you are worried about it once you get everything masked off the spray the area with TRANSPARENT BASE. This will seal against any areas that may have leaked but will dry clear so you won't see it!!!

As far as masking my after running the k-utg tape I use the following

https://www.cftapes.com/collections/masking-tapes

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate masking... However i have a 3 foot wide roll, a 12 inch wide roll and a 6 inch wide roll of transfer tape.

Same as auto masking tape.. And its great for flats if i need to draw and cut huge stuff.

Where did you get the 3ft wide one from? Widest I've been able to find was 1ft

Back