Masking question

Joe T

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I’m putting a order together for coast airbrush and was thinking Of getting some mask. After thinking more about it I was wondering if I can use the transfer tape I use for my vinyl decals. Seems to be the same stuff I thInk. If not, what do you suggest? Just doing some flat panels right now. I guess I could use blue tape but seems might be trouble.

I’m also researching using a low tax vinyl as well..why not let my plotter cut it then me trying to cut it on my panels..lol. Advice?

Thanks everyone

Joe

I’m putting a order together for coast airbrush and was thinking Of getting some mask. After thinking more about it I was wondering if I can use the transfer tape I use for my vinyl decals. Seems to be the same stuff I thInk. If not, what do you suggest? Just doing some flat panels right now. I guess I could use blue tape but seems might be trouble.

I’m also researching using a low tax vinyl as well..why not let my plotter cut it then me trying to cut it on my panels..lol. Advice?

Thanks everyone

Joe
i use cutter and oramask

One possible concern using any kind of masking tape, including blue painters tape, is that it is often wrinkled/textured, which could prevent you from getting a sharp or clean edge. This is why people will often use some kind of vinyl tape for the edge and use masking tape tape to fill in the large areas between the edges. Transfer tape does have the advantage of being smooth, so I imagine it could be used in a pinch. You could always give it a go and let us know the results!

Oramask 813? That’s what I’m looking at
I use grey colored one. The next one will be blue color. Oramask is great. At least for me. Here is a picture of t-shirt done with oramask. Notice: my phone is really crap so picture is crap also unfortunately.
WP_20180223_001.jpg WP_20180223_003.jpg WP_20180223_004.jpg

Didn't try on other surface but As I seen, there wouldn't be any problem with other surfaces, like wood, metal,helmet and so on. At least I think so...

http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/products/stencil-films

this is another oramask t-shirt:
WP_20180201_004.jpg WP_20180201_005.jpg WP_20180201_006.jpg

I use grey colored one. The next one will be blue color. Oramask is great. At least for me. Here is a picture of t-shirt done with oramask. Notice: my phone is really crap so picture is crap also unfortunately.
View attachment 52935 View attachment 52936 View attachment 52937

Didn't try on other surface but As I seen, there wouldn't be any problem with other surfaces, like wood, metal,helmet and so on. At least I think so...

http://www.orafol.com/gp/europe/en/products/stencil-films

this is another oramask t-shirt:
View attachment 52938 View attachment 52939 View attachment 52940

Hey Husky, mind if I ask a question? When you transfer the 813 (grey vinyl right?) onto the shirt, does it stuck well? I mean is that stickness of the 813 enough to be transfered onto a shirt?

Lots of peeps use transfer tape, it works well. It can lift at the edges as its low tack, I have used it loads of times. For guaranteed smooth edges, use fine line tape then the transfer tape over the top. Oramask is brilliant stuff and does what its made to do. Very handy if your using your cutter. Give the transfer tape a quick try before you order.

Lee

Hey Husky, mind if I ask a question? When you transfer the 813 (grey vinyl right?) onto the shirt, does it stuck well? I mean is that stickness of the 813 enough to be transfered onto a shirt?
yes it is. you can buy oramask by meters. One meter is like 2.5 euros. You can try it relatively cheap.

this is the blue one, but it's the same like grey. I wanna blue cause I can better see against dark t shirts.

Last edited:
I believe the blue is for water based paints and the grey is for solvent based. At the us cutter sight it explains it better. Awesome pics husky

I believe the blue is for water based paints and the grey is for solvent based. At the us cutter sight it explains it better. Awesome pics husky
I have issues with transfering grey oramask, can't see good, so I wonted to try blue one. I was thinking it will be more visible.

Back