masking tape

L

littlerick

upto now i have been painting on paper and card... when i need to mask, i cant stick the tape to the paper or card coz it pulls it apart... using eraser is hard as the paint soaks in pretty good. Is there a product i can use to coat the paper without losing the colour and texture that can be painted on so using eraser is easier.

You could coat the paper with water based varnish but everything you do to paper will soak in and make it warp, you would better and probably cheaper just buying an airbrush specific paper like Schoelershammer or Bristol board, paper or simple drawing card is now the best medium of erasing or scratching and will give you problems no matter how you treat it.

There are masking tapes which are low tack or even extremely low tack which you could use even on paper, having said that if you where to to produce something worth keeping, it is also worth the little extra cost to put it onto a medium that is also worth keeping and can withstand the perils of time, certainly if you became good to enough to do any commission work in the future.

I sometimes paint on pre-finished white MDF which you can get very cheap at the D.I.Y. store and mostly they will cut it to size for you free of charge, it's the stuff they use for cupboard backs on kitchen units and wardrobes, a coat of gesso over it and it becomes an ideal medium to paint on and will accept even the most aggressive masking tapes, I've used it for my paint pals in the past and it's light so the cost of posting doesn't sting.

Sweet like that idea... cheap too! just like me :)
the new term for cheapass is budget minded:D
Poster board allows you to erase on it and even scratch. with out have to coat it.
Here in the states we have a dollar store that everything in it only cost you a buck.
I can get 5 11X14 sheet of poster board for a dollar. It has worked out great for doing paint pals on.

You can use masking tape on poster board or cardboard, just detack it a lot first, these days though I use little mask besides what I can hold in my other hand like a shield or basic stencil, but yer started of with MDF and it is a really nice surface to use and will cope with all that with little thought..Best of luck..

Another thing you might try is Press n Seal its cheap for a roll of it and you can get it at the local grocery store. It won't tear the paper and covers good!

Another thing you might try is Press n Seal its cheap for a roll of it and you can get it at the local grocery store. It won't tear the paper and covers good!
Is that stuff like sellotape, but softer in the glue dept?
Don't think I've heard of this one before but it sounds like good stuff.

I use Painter's Tape by Sellotape. It sticks very well but is very gentle when you remove it. It can only be stuck down once though because it loses most of it's stickiness. This side of the world it costs about 5 times that of normal masking tape but a roll lasts me 5 months about.

Spalasha the press n seal is normally used to cover bowls with food in them and wrapping up food not sure if its like the sellotape as I haven't used that,

Is that stuff like sellotape, but softer in the glue dept?
Don't think I've heard of this one before but it sounds like good stuff.

Press n Seal is a type of refrigerator wrap on the saran wrap isle is the USA, I know brands change in other countries.
I first learned about this stuff in woodworking as you can transfer designs to wood with it. Copy through the Press n Seal then transfer via graphite paper.

Thanks, guys.
Over here the stuff is usually called cling wrap.
Available in the supermarket for a couple of bucks per roll.

Back