Master G22 You know you've hit the big time when...

airbrushtutor

Love Spreading Overseer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1472106573.568522.jpg

You know you've hit the big time when you get one of these! Haha :)

I didn't shop around too much for this, I had a look on eBay and it was $35US.
It's quite cheaply built but I'm going to use it in a couple of tutorials and do a review.
So many people focus on getting the highest end airbrushed but I'd like to show people that technique trumps equipment any day of the week :)
Would love to see examples of your cheapest airbrushes, where you got them from and how they work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see examples of your cheapest airbrushes, where you got them from and how they work!

They didn't work thats why I don't have any anymore :p

Jokes aside there is certainly a use for the cheaper brushes. When I need to do large surfaces (sky comes to mind) I grab an iwata revolution, no need to have an airbrush of $400 for that when one of $50 gets you the same result. One (in general) can do very decent detail work with cheaper airbrushes , the more expensive ones do tend to make life a lot easier though.

Last edited:
I have a cheap £5 GOLD Airbrush "the one on the far left" and I still use it for bigger areas or for the kids to use so they don't bugger my iwata's up. Works well for such a cheap AB though, fairly heavy air valve spring even though I've softened it as much as possible and no mod cons just a basic ab.

Lee

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 29
All brushes have their place....
Im sure Dru could do a master piece with a macca's straw - im not even joking!
Skill is for sure the number one element and what we all strive for, you've only got to watch Terry Hill or Dan Powers with their Eclipse .5's getting cleaner lines than I can achieve with all my guns! Perfect practice will help, I even ordered the Terry Hill beginers DVD for more practice drills to help develop the trigger finger :)

Cheapest airbrush for me was FREE :D but it was a 30+ year old Paasche VL that I had to totally rebuild.
But I will agree and disagree on technique trumping equipment.
Better equipment means less headache time , Most times you will have better tolerances on how the needle and nozzle work together so you can have more consistency in your lines.
But it is a great ideal to show that you can airbrush on a low budget and still be able to turn out good art work.

So many people focus on getting the highest end airbrushed but I'd like to show people that technique trumps equipment any day of the week :)

I agree with you, Mitch! It's ability to use different techs that makes ABing look real;)
But Microns are also good;)

You'll see mine:) Need to search for 'em on my hard drive, as it's only one model is left in real life, another ABs are sold and only the pictures of them are left to remember those sweet happy days;)

Can't edit previous post, so here they are in all their chinese beauty:) But they're not all chinese, as Air Pro are Taiwan made.
It's the condition of my first ABs when I sold them. As soon as I've tried iwata almost all the chinese have decided to go;) One model that's Eclipse knock off is left, as this model I really like! It's on the holder. I've only made longer needle, polished of course, and installed trigger pad. I've got six of them, but think to by even more:D Actually, I think to buy another chinese brand airbrush to try, maybe it will be good.
All the work in my profile are made with those chinese ABs except one called "First realism try", which is done with japanese ABs. So I think it's not an airbrush that makes a work, but knowledge how to airbrush:) Thanx to this forum, where we can get that knowledge!
All my chinese ABs were with custom polished needle and those threaded nozzles were with custom made solvent proof sealers;) Yeah, for those who don't know, chinese threaded nozzles go with a rubber sealer!:D
Now I have Microns and other japanese ABs, but can't say that it's impossible to work with cheap airbrushes. They work, but with japanese the work is much easier and precise.
If I couldn't buy those cheap airbrushes, I think my acquaintance with ABing happened much later, if even ever happened. So I'm thankful to that tools I had:)
1.JPG 1_1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG P1010965.JPG P1010966.JPG P1040933.JPG

I agree on the hand that is doing the work and not the airbrush , a cheap airbrush that actually works could produce great work no doubt about that but how long will it work if it works at all?
I guess that if you know how to use a airbrush why not try it with a cheap one but if you never used one I would stay far away from the cheap ones

I agree on the hand that is doing the work and not the airbrush , a cheap airbrush that actually works could produce great work no doubt about that but how long will it work if it works at all?
I guess that if you know how to use a airbrush why not try it with a cheap one but if you never used one I would stay far away from the cheap ones

Ronald, I agree and disagree with you:)
Maybe I was lucky one, but none of my knock-offs worked badly. I know people had issues, but I didn't, ever;) The fact we also have, that Japan made ABs are a way better, while making precise work and the time the AB itself lasts, smoothness of performance, control etc.
But good thing about chinese knock-offs is everyone can afford it, that's why they're being produced in such a quantities, there's market for them in any place of this planet:) I've tried cheap airbrushes, understood that I like airbrushing, bought first good AB and sold cheap:) So the main idea about knock-offs is to get acquainted with airbrushing, only mine thoughts;) But they work fine for backgrounds etc., where we don't need accuracy.

LOL, it is all in the skill but for most I think a brush to avoid. :) Especially for beginners, lots of my past work involved a knock off, so knocked off it didnt even have a name LOL and would happily use it for any work but does add the odd headache. Good luck with it

There's downsides to microns also, with my first micron I thought I was careful and gentle with it, but still managed to ruin the nozzle somehow. I think I accidentally screwed in the pre set handle before tightening the chucking nut(forgot). So I pushed the needle too far that way and cracked the nozzle. Or I simply used too much force pushing the needle. That's not the airbrushes fault ofcourse, but it's a lot of money to replace those needle/nozzle combinations. So that's it, delicate and expensive. I bet Iwata NEO would've been cheaper and perfectly good airbrush for me at the time. I was actually thinking about buying one now, since all I have is cm-sb and cm-c and need something to do large areas.

I bought 3 cheap brushes and none of them worked properly. Then I bought a devibis dagr that I had saved up for and that didn't work either lol (machine scoring from factory) Then I found the light and went Iwata and wished I had from the start.

I do agree though that a skilled artist can get the best out of any brush. However most of those brushes are bought by newbies who don't have the experience to deal with any issues, making focusing on learning almost impossible. Unless you're lucky and got a good one you don't know if its you or the brush that's the problem. And I think that's when people think they cant do it and give up.

By the time I had bought 3 bits of junk, plus spares for the bits that broke, squished because of rubbish metal, or were just too poorly finished to be usable, I could have bought an awesome brush to begin with. Lol.

But I bet Mitch knocks it out of the park. Man got skiiiilllllllssssss!!!! He could pull a master piece with this ...
An Artists Fixative Sprayer Uses the Venturi Effect.jpg

Had about 5 cheapies thinking that more was better since they had different sizes and replacement parts were cheap.

I almost gave up the hobby after starting it because of them. Nozzles were split, back pressure issues etc. That I was unfamiliar with were happening, causing it to spray off to side etc. Their nozzles split easy, and as a newbie its very difficult to diagnose
Actually ruined a few things I had spent a bit of time working so dearly on that I stopped doing it thinking it was some elite skill requiring courses on.
Bought an eclipse revolution for the big needle and voila, then grabbed H&S sololine evo and learned my lesson. Start off on quality AB so avoid mechanical issues and focus on developing technique.

Heres a challenge
G22 and art store acrylic paint!

Back