Master TC20-T Compressor

G

GraphMan

Got my set today. I drained the compressor as suggested. I filled the tank about half way, shut it off and then drained. Is this the correct way or should I have left it open (drain) and let the compressor run? My next question is should I leave the drain valve open overnight or does it make a difference?

Thanks,
GMan

p.s. The instructions don't tell you how it should be done, only to drain at night.

Oops...I'm referring to the air tank not the filter (that was dry).

Bit confusing? You mention about the instructions saying drain at night? that doesnt make a lot of sense for oil or the water from the tank..At night the oil will be thicker, and water drains pretty quickly so cant see over night getting more out than just opening the valve for 5 minutes and moving the compressor around to ensure 99% of its gone..Its not recommended to have your compressor on to "blow" the water out but can garantee you that some do exactly that..I drain my compressor weekly or fortnightly depending on how much paintings been done and of course the size of your compressor but don't stress too much, if ya getting water through your line it may be telling you its time..good luck.

That's what I thought. It's oil less so I have no worries with that. Items made in China are known for sketchy and sometimes confusing instructions.
Thanks,
GMan

That's what I thought. It's oil less so I have no worries with that. Items made in China are known for sketchy and sometimes confusing instructions.
Thanks,
GMan

I have the same compressor as you do, I generally drain it after a painting is completed which is usually after three or four days, but if you want to be sure that is is or isn't necessary, just take a peek at the glass bowl of your water trap, if it's dry it doesn't need draining, if there is water sitting in there it does.

How water your compressor produces is dependant on several things, including humid and warm weather, the hotter it gets the more water it produces, and if the weather is humid it will be taking water along with the air and your trap will separate this while some of it condenses in your tank, but using your compressor for really long periods will also produce water, for example if your using it day and night,

I will only leave the drain screw off if I leave the compressor for long periods without use, this allows any remaining water to evaporate and reduce the risk of oxidisation of the inside of the tank, the chances of this happening overnight are very slim so no need to leave the screw off.

I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on the main water trap as you work, you will soon know if it needs draining, if you don't already have one, a mini trap under your pistol is also handy as a second means of protection.

You can throw away the instructions you got with it since everything contained therein is just the Chinese manufacturers trying to make you think they know what they are talking about and in very bad English, lol

Hi Madbrush:

Since you have the same compressor...Another question is run time. Again, the book says shut it off after running for 10 minutes and let cool for 15 minutes. I'm thinking this is the manufacturers cover-your-a** policy. I don't keep time of how long it runs. Havb you had any problems ie; the temperature cutoff kicks in and shuts it down?
Thanks,
GMan

p.s. Ok...The books going in the trash!

Hi Madbrush:

Since you have the same compressor...Another question is run time. Again, the book says shut it off after running for 10 minutes and let cool for 15 minutes. I'm thinking this is the manufacturers cover-your-a** policy. I don't keep time of how long it runs. Havb you had any problems ie; the temperature cutoff kicks in and shuts it down?
Thanks,
GMan

p.s. Ok...The books going in the trash!

I've never had any problem with temp cut off but you don't need to worry about that, if it overheats it will stop on its own and kick in again after a little rest.

I've had mine for two years without problems and at that rate considering it only cost around $80 I'd be happy to replace it every two years, I pay more than that for paint.

When you get Down to serious work you will spend time with erasing and other techniques so it will get the rest it needs anyway.

Back