Materials to use for cool textures

otpowell

Double Actioner
So what other kind of stuff can you use for cool textures? I know about the non-slip mat thing for carbon fiber. I know how to get brushed aluminum, grass with real grass.. I know how to use steel wool for clouds. I know how to do the snake skin thing with mesh. Herb mentioned dryer sheets for a leather look. Oh and plastic wrap for a wrinkle or marble effect.

Cotton for clouds , I have also use torn scotch brite pads for making clouds , Rocks and other things that I thought it would work for.
Dryer sheets work great for leather
Fish net stocking work great for fish net and for snake skin
Sea sponge work great for different space textures as well as distressed metal .

This should make a good and informative thread.

Hmm. I don't have a sea sponge.. I have artist sponges.. Sea sponge better cuz of the various bubble inconsistency?

I use some stencils from artool. Love these things. I've used on tons of projects for clouds, reptile skin, or where I want a soft textured line in a fade... really handy little stencils.
yhst-80343540264639_2248_47070024.jpg

Attachments

• yhst-80343540264639_2248_47070024.jpg
    yhst-80343540264639_2248_47070024.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 69
I use these for human skin texture in portraiture to, base layer, then a texture layer then a tonal layer

IMG_0148.jpgI also use this , It is a inert material used in book repair , give great leather texture , skin texture and just a real good organic texture.

Where can I get that book repair stuff? I'm gonna get those artool texture cosmic texture stencils tomorrow on my lunch break

Where can I get that book repair stuff? I'm gonna get those artool texture cosmic texture stencils tomorrow on my lunch break

I will have to get the name and the vender when I am at work tomorrow. If nothing else I will cut a couple of pieces and send you some.

View attachment 10219I also use this , It is a inert material used in book repair , give great leather texture , skin texture and just a real good organic texture.
I had (thrown it away last year) loads of a similar stuff....we had a halloween party and bought fake cob web stuff.....its like cotton wool but holds together better....you can stretch it and stretch it and pull it in to all different shapes without breaking the stands....could be with a look only would cost a couple of dollar from flea bay

the ones pictured above are not the cosmic ones I don't think.......think they where just called texture fx......I've got this set but I could be wrong...I bought them for what they looked like rather than what they said I could do with it.....herb any ideas?

I had (thrown it away last year) loads of a similar stuff....we had a halloween party and bought fake cob web stuff.....its like cotton wool but holds together better....you can stretch it and stretch it and pull it in to all different shapes without breaking the stands....could be with a look only would cost a couple of dollar from flea bay

kind of the same thing but this stuff only stretches a little and but gives really cool effects.

looks a bit like wonderweb, the iron on adhesive for taking hems up .... not that I would know any of that girly stuff you understand :redface-new:

Someone should make a video tutorial showing all of these.

Nudge nudge...

yer right talla.....whatever your weekend activities are is no concern of mine.....specially if that involves hemming the mrs frock so it fits you better hehe.....anyhow.....how was your birthday weekend my friend?

S**t ... I knew my last comment was giving too much away! OK so I like to airbrush in ladies clothes .... it gives me a sense of creative freedom ... and I dont sweat as much as I do in my leathers ... oh no there I go again ... now you know about my leather fetish!

Which brings us back to the original subject ... I wonder if a sheet of wonderweb will give a good leather effect?

Someone should make a video tutorial showing all of these.

Nudge nudge...

I agree Compleks .... Something along the lines of common stuff readily available and the textures it can be used for.

I can get a good lace using the missus' best knickers ... problem is it gives you a headache .... especially when she finds out!

... and before you say Fezley ... I dont wear em! :anonymous:

Back