measuring a needle?

F

fer

I whas wondering if there is a tool or a way to measuring the thickness of a needle.I have recieved a L Fischer by letraset , i know its an oldie but it comes standerd with 5 nozzels tips and needle,s,
So if someone has any idea to find out the thickness it would be great.
Fer

I know this is a really really old post but still beneficial knowledge for some. Most needles if you look at the back of them have a ring cut into them. 1 ring is .2mm 2 ring is .3 etc. Some of the really old ones actually have the number stamped on the back, just extremely hard to see. Same goes for the crown caps. Only the nozzles don't have markings but it's pretty easy to compare.

Why measure the needle?

The OD of the needle won't have a lot to do with the tip size..The OD of the needle is a concern when it comes to the body seals, not so much what its designed to spray, thats what the angles and such at the tips all about..But yer a vernier or micrometer if ya wanna be real accurate will measure it for ya..(If of course you know how to read one) but as someone mentioned, if ya got a gun with multiple needles and head assembly's there shld be some kind of identifying mark as to which one goes with which...

Just posting to say, I did indeed stumble on this via google 10 years after the last post, 12 since the OP and appreciate the late filling explanations.

The tiny rings are not something I would have figured out on my own. And can now repair my hand-me-down badger airbrush (That indeed has the tiniest number etched on the back as well as 1 ring).

Also to say I believe I shared the OP's misconception the 0.2mm might be in some way related to the needle diameter (Though 0.2mm thick needle would be insanely small :D ). But it appears the measurement is of the needle protrusion from the nozzle?

So a belated thank you from the future!

Just posting to say, I did indeed stumble on this via google 10 years after the last post, 12 since the OP and appreciate the late filling explanations.

The tiny rings are not something I would have figured out on my own. And can now repair my hand-me-down badger airbrush (That indeed has the tiniest number etched on the back as well as 1 ring).

Also to say I believe I shared the OP's misconception the 0.2mm might be in some way related to the needle diameter (Though 0.2mm thick needle would be insanely small :D ). But it appears the measurement is of the needle protrusion from the nozzle?

So a belated thank you from the future!
Actually the "number" they give has nothing to do with the needle size. That is nozzle diameter (or what it is supposed to be) And the needles are designed with different tapers Which give the spray characteristics. The taper is a little harder to calculate. But if you have a .5 nozzle and slide a needle meant for a .3 in it the needle will stick out way too far, and if you try and put a needle designed for a .5 in a .3 the needle will not protrude enough. In general a Long taper will be less sensitive and may be "easier to control paint volume" and a shorter taper will come on quicker and be more responsive to small movements. A double taper is meant to allow thicker paint out off the bat while being less sensitive to movement.. Whereas a spraygun is really blunt with very little difference in volume from a little past open to all the way open.
Unfortunately some airbrushes have no markings to know which needle is which. I would assume thats not as much of a problem for people who have organizational skills and just a couple of airbrushes... Unlike me who has loose needles in a box that i lost track of long ago :0

Back