Mehron LUX Airbrush Issues

P

piratekingjosh

Hello all-

I recently bought a bottle of Mehron Lux for airbrushing at an upcoming convention. After shaking the bottle and adding it to the airbrush multiple times, I realized its not spraying out. If I press the trigger all the way back I'll get a spurt of color, but I have to "pump" the trigger to get any paint out. The airbrush is properly cleaned and if I add Createx airbrush paint into it, the paint spreads beautifully without and fluctuation in trigger pressure or consistency. I have read on this forum that straining might help the problem, or thinning the paint might help. The paint is already pretty thin out of the bottle, but as I am running out of time to remedy the issue, I am open to all suggestions. My thanks in advance!

-pkj

If you've already read the solutions why not try them? What's happening would normally suggest a blockage but since your createx works obviously the paint is no good or not airbrush specific, either way I would simply stop using it.

Why not go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself, what airbrush, where you and anything at all that helps us to give you the best advice we can and maybe guide you to local suppliers.

But welcome to the forum anyway :)

Well First off an introduction would have let me know where the convention was being held.
Second let me know what airbrush you are using and at what air pressure you are spraying at.
But isn't mehron lux airbrush makeup?
Which Createx are you referring too Standard textile createx, Wicked , Illustration ?
I only can assume that the mehron lux requires some type of reducer, as far as what kind I do not know being I am not a make up artist.
But like I said an introduction telling us where on this planet you live , what kind of airbrushing you do , what airbrushes you have and even what kind of art you do.
see all the information you can provide helps us help you.

So you state it look pretty thin. does it look thinner then the Createx you are using or are you reducing the createx?

Mehron is a actually body paint herb. ....... normally need 0.3 tip as an absolute minimum wouldn't you? Maybe a 0.5?

I apologize for not doing an introduction sooner. I am rather in a panic since the convention is this Friday, so I am kind of running around with my head cut off. I am using the Master Brand G70 (since it has a wider range of coverage, and its not detail work.) The Createx I am using is Airbrush Colors Transparent colors. It came with the airbrushes so I kind of used it as a tester to make sure everything was coming out right. I will go out and pick up some things to strain the paint to make sure (the Mehron). I am concerned because I have bought 2 different batches, to the same result. I am wondering if there are any other suggestions that I have missed that I could try as long as I am doing different things.

Thank you for your quick responses, and I have since added a introduction to the forums.

I would say your nozzle is too fine for the paint bro. ...... The master will blow paint but no good really for fine art but since you are doing boxy painting it should be ok. ...... but to be honest ad i stated above i would imagine a much larger nozzle. ..... does the paint come with reducer. .....if not i would say start some testing. ...... 1 drop paint 1 drop water. .....try at 25 psi. ..... not spraying try 30 psi then 35 etc. ..... still not spraying how you would like. ..... 1 drop paint 2 drop water. ... 25 psi etc etc etc etc, it'll work eventually

I apologize for not doing an introduction sooner. I am rather in a panic since the convention is this Friday, so I am kind of running around with my head cut off. I am using the Master Brand G70 (since it has a wider range of coverage, and its not detail work.) The Createx I am using is Airbrush Colors Transparent colors. It came with the airbrushes so I kind of used it as a tester to make sure everything was coming out right. I will go out and pick up some things to strain the paint to make sure (the Mehron). I am concerned because I have bought 2 different batches, to the same result. I am wondering if there are any other suggestions that I have missed that I could try as long as I am doing different things.

Thank you for your quick responses, and I have since added a introduction to the forums.

I would assume that the mehron stuff has its own dedicated reducer/thinner or other additive to help with smooth flow, we don't have too many body painters active on the forum so knoledge is limited in that respect, but I wouldn't add anything to it such as other brand reducers which I'm sure would ruin the stuff.

Maybe you could search Google for a tech sheet for further guidance, but straining it in the meantime will do no harm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Body paint can be thinned with denatured alcohol and water , you only need about 2% denatured alcohol to 98% water mix
Just called a body painter friend of mine and that is what he told me.

After a little searching I came across this

Pretty much the same as @Mr.Micron says but has agents to protect skin and prevent bacterial issues.

if i was body painting id prolly trip alot and eventually hit the sweet spot.....hehehehehe

After getting a .5mm needle for the airbrush, it works better, but it isnt' perfect still. That being said the only other variable I can think of is the paint. I think after its all said and done, I'll end up going with a different brand of paint next time. All this hassle to get a mediocre product to work doesn't seem worth it.

Mehron suggests that I should thin it 10% with filtered water. I'll do this with a small batch and report back. According to them, it should be able to run out of the bottle with a .5mm needle, but for smaller I will need to thin it.

Okay so after I thinned it down, and asked for further advice, they told me my airbrush was faulty. Other paints work through it, by over 3 different manufacturers. I think they are just giving up on me. Great customer service.

Hi,piratekingjosh.
Just for the hell of it, I'd do a sheet of "squares" using their "product vs others" and send it to 'em.
Give them the technical stuff, i.e air pressure, reduction and anything else that I thought to be relevant to it, then let them see the result.
Who knows, might get you some advice to correct your problem with it or maybe even free stuff , or you might just be ignored.
If the latter occurs, don't use their stuff - it's crap and you got the evidence to proove it!

Back