Metal Panel

R

Rees

I was given a metal panel that had apparently been used for some practice for an AB demo at a local paint shop. I was told it would be fine to use after I stripped it down. How do I do that? Just sand the crap out of it? Can it just be sprayed over with a couple of base coats or do I really need to get back down to bare metal?

I was given a metal panel that had apparently been used for some practice for an AB demo at a local paint shop. I was told it would be fine to use after I stripped it down. How do I do that? Just sand the crap out of it? Can it just be sprayed over with a couple of base coats or do I really need to get back down to bare metal?

It's your choice really, if you want to practice form scratch on bare metal, then obviously you want to go back, to do that you can either sand beginning with rough sandpaper, switching to less aggressive as you go, or you can use a liquid paint stripper, clean it off and scuff.

If you don't want to do any of the above and would rather just paint on top of what is there now, you can simply sand it flat using a very fine sandpaper or even scotchbrite and then apply base coat/primer that suits whatever you wish to apply afterwards.

It's your panel now, just have fun with it, practice is practice and even if you mess it up, the experience is always good to help solve similar problems in the future, you can do stuff with your panel that will help avoid messing custom work later, saving your reputation and possibly even money, the best to make mistakes is during practice and it's all part of the learning process.

Back