Micron nozzle dimension measurement

If you're using a model like mine.... In reality the mag power is the focus , regardless of how it's marked. The actual mag power is a function of the distance so moving your nozzle to the focal point would work, if you had the same focus in each image, it doesn't appear that you do.

Idk your setup exactly or anything, more just trying to relate it to what I've attempted to do with mine. Which I've not been able to measure one nozzle, switch to the next, then go back to the first and get the same measurement, something almost always goes off kilter.
You may be getting better results than I am... Idk... Maybe I'll have to work on my setup.
I have this guy,
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Mic...t=&hvlocphy=9010174&hvtargid=pla-570926080938

Mine is similar: https://www.amazon.com/Veho-VMS-004...ocphy=9031921&hvtargid=pla-406644941415&psc=1

Same operating principle, the magnification is just focusing. But I guess if the magnification is wrong, then the absolute measurement will be off, but the relative diff should still be ok (if the result is repeatable). I am able to repeat the measurement with consistent results even after a few days (where everything has moved).

I try to position the nozzle so that the lib of the nozzle is sharp, I guess that is what matters the most, that my focus plane is always on the lib since I am measuring the size of the hole on that plane. Which photo do you think is off focus? My eye is not as sharp as it uses to be, so I could get it wrong. But sometimes when I repeat the trials, I get lazy and didn't get thing in perfect focus (it is hard and take a lot of concentration and steady hand), I get fuzzy nozzle lib, that makes placing the measure point a bit of a guesswork, but even then, the result is within 0.02mm.

I also did one more rough sanity checks, I try to measure an 1mm mark on a ruler using the same setup to verify that I the measurement is correct. 1mm is too big so I have to find a 1mm mark that have a mark in the middle and do the measurement in two parts, this make the reference less acurate. But the two part did sum up to 1.04mm. See attached photo (and this also is repeatable).

Attachments

• ref1.jpg
    ref1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 20
  • ref2.jpg
    ref2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 19
Mine is similar: https://www.amazon.com/Veho-VMS-004...ocphy=9031921&hvtargid=pla-406644941415&psc=1

Same operating principle, the magnification is just focusing. But I guess if the magnification is wrong, then the absolute measurement will be off, but the relative diff should still be ok (if the result is repeatable). I am able to repeat the measurement with consistent results even after a few days (where everything has moved).

I try to position the nozzle so that the lib of the nozzle is sharp, I guess that is what matters the most, that my focus plane is always on the lib since I am measuring the size of the hole on that plane. Which photo do you think is off focus? My eye is not as sharp as it uses to be, so I could get it wrong. But sometimes when I repeat the trials, I get lazy and didn't get thing in perfect focus (it is hard and take a lot of concentration and steady hand), I get fuzzy nozzle lib, that makes placing the measure point a bit of a guesswork, but even then, the result is within 0.02mm.

I also did one more rough sanity checks, I try to measure an 1mm mark on a ruler using the same setup to verify that I the measurement is correct. 1mm is too big so I have to find a 1mm mark that have a mark in the middle and do the measurement in two parts, this make the reference less acurate. But the two part did sum up to 1.04mm. See attached photo (and this also is repeatable).
It's probably my crappy stand then mainly.

Yours didn't come with the nifty little calibration card?

BTW, as you can see, I have to guess where is the "middle" of the top and bottom 1mm line, so this is not exact. But I am happy enough that things seems to check out ok.

It's probably my crappy stand then mainly.

Yours didn't come with the nifty little calibration card?

I didn't use the stand. It will not be stable enough. I just put the whole thing flat on the table top. And just move the airbrush relative to the microscope to get good focus.

I wish there is some card like that, then I don't have to resort to using the ruler. :(

I might actually have to buy one of those as they go really fine but as you can see the card is pretty cool and has some handy rulers
particle size in microns
;Photo on 12-11-18 at 7.27 PM.jpg

The major division here is 1mm minors .1;
Photo on 12-11-18 at 7.30 PM.jpg

And hey .07 the magic wand number;
Photo on 12-11-18 at 7.28 PM #2.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 12-11-18 at 7.28 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-11-18 at 7.28 PM.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 6
Thanks.

I would buy this, it will be useful.

But then for less than $10 more, I can get your microscope that come with a nice card.

My crappy 400X veho do not have software for mac, so I need to run a virtual window machine on my mac just to use that. :( This will be nice.

I will read the review later and check, do you find it worth buying?
Its pretty nice for the money.
This one works in mac just plugged right in and works with photobooth, but the software that does actual measuring only works for windows.

Oh thesecond photo in the first post is the ony one i see with the nozzle rim out of focus, but wow! kudos even getting that close holding them by hand!

Id like to get one of those aluminum stands for them but idk, might just hold off and get something nice where focus is actually focus so i can choose mag power and know what it is. Im not real sure how to determine perceived mag power. Its not as simple as saying oh, one mm is 100mm on screen so thats 100x as i once assumed before i thought about resolution. I guess a 100x pic is technically a 100x pic whether its viewed on a phone or a bigscreen tv.

Its pretty nice for the money.
This one works in mac just plugged right in and works with photobooth, but the software that does actual measuring only works for windows.

Oh thesecond photo in the first post is the ony one i see with the nozzle rim out of focus, but wow! kudos even getting that close holding them by hand!

I see. Too bad about the missing measurement sw for mac. I use this: https://www.umassk12.net/adi/ for mac. Not the best, but will do for me at a pinch.

I will redo the out of focus photo later tonight, just to double check the measurement.

I can't hold anything steady enough for 400X, I just lay the airbrush on a cushion. I just use multiple layers of packaging bubble wrap, so I can adjust the thickness (vertical rise) for each airbrush. Will try to snap a photo of my "setup" (if you can call it that) later tonight.

I will slowly nudge the airbrush so that everything is in order before I snap the photo.

I see. Too bad about the missing measurement sw for mac. I use this: https://www.umassk12.net/adi/ for mac. Not the best, but will do for me at a pinch.

I will redo the out of focus photo later tonight, just to double check the measurement.

I can't hold anything steady enough for 400X, I just lay the airbrush on a cushion. I just use multiple layers of packaging bubble wrap, so I can adjust the thickness (vertical rise) for each airbrush. Will try to snap a photo of my "setup" (if you can call it that) later tonight.

I will slowly nudge the airbrush so that everything is in order before I snap the photo.
Oh cool! I might have to see if I can get it to work on my ancient (2008) MacBook.

I wish they didn't deprecate them like they do. That thing is beat to hell and still works great on old supported software.

Id like to get one of those aluminum stands for them but idk, might just hold off and get something nice where focus is actually focus so i can choose mag power and know what it is. Im not real sure how to determine perceived mag power. Its not as simple as saying oh, one mm is 100mm on screen so thats 100x as i once assumed before i thought about resolution. I guess a 100x pic is technically a 100x pic whether its viewed on a phone or a bigscreen tv.

Yup, the definition of magnification can be confusion when viewing size is not nailed down.

I will always relies on a ref and using the ref, the software will just count the number of pixels for any desired measurement.

That is how the ADI software I have linked above works. You have to load an image taken with the same device at the same focus distance (translate to magnification) and then draw a line on the ref photo and provide the actual length of that line before you can measure your images.

As I now understand it the actual power goes off the original, optical magnification. With these there is no real way of knowing what that is, that I know of.

The measuring thing I get, but if I take an image, I have no idea what power to actually call it, 400x on the scope seems in reality to be about 50x optically....idk it confuses me. I'm sure there's some way to take the screen resolution compared to the actual size and the size in a screen of that resolution and somehow figure out what the real power is but.....?

@huskystafford
This is just because he was thinking of getting one so he'd be interested in this conversation.
I am still interested in this. But now I am solving another problem. Got today prescription for my glasses... They give me like 85 euros but only on glasses for driving(not for close vewing). And I friking use randolph engeniring aviators... Where the hell I would get hooks like this one:
http://shadowclip.com/
so I could put correction lenses inside of my great american sunglasses lol. And I need to pay full price for my ''reading'' glasses...

Back on the topic. I have off topic issues btw. Yep I am looking to buy microscope thingy. Was thinking that usb stuff is great, but con of that microscope can be, that you can't turn around nozzles and stuff wile you looking at it. you need to set it on place and look at computer. Still thinking what to do.

Last edited:
I am still interested in this. But now I am solving another problem. Got today prescription for my glasses... They give me like 85 euros but only or glasses for driving(not for close vewing). And I friking use randolph engeniring aviators... Where the hell I would get hooks like this one:
http://shadowclip.com/
so I could put correction lenses inside of my great american sunglasses lol. And I need to pay full price for my ''reading'' glasses...

Back on the topic. I have off topic issues btw. Yep I am looking to buy microscope thingy. Was thinking that usb stuff is great, but con of that microscope can be, that you can't turn around nozzles and stuff wile you looking at it. you need to set it on place and look at computer. Still thinking what to do.
You can roll them within the view.

Back